Author Topic: Mendip Transmitter  (Read 2260 times)

Mendip Transmitter
« on: 08 July, 2014, 01:57:48 pm »
I have quite a few favourite destinations in my "backyard": the hills and coast of Dorset and the Isle of Wight, the escarpments of Wiltshire and Berkshire, quiet lanes of the Test Valley, the magnificent folds of the South Downs, and the gentle heaths of the New Forest all lie within a day's pedal from home and how grateful am I for that.

However there is also another destination that gnaws at me and draws me back time and again, and that is the high, exposed, wild Mendip plateau that lays a long summer's day ride from home.  An audax ride which explored that wild landscape was always going to be tempting.  That the ride was 100km, and started from Bath, a point 100km from home, in midsummer was even better, as it had the promise of a great day's cycling.

So it was that I set out from home at a quarter to five on a Sunday morning, with the light of the new day glowing through the cloud that was draped the gentle landscape between Romsey and Salisbury.  I only saw a couple of cars on that first few miles, following one of my favourite lanes which hugs the base of a ridge of hills, gently rising and falling.

After the relative bustle of Salisbury, where there were actually one or two people out getting their morning newspapers, the Wylye Valley was a blissful ride.  This quiet lane runs for 17 miles between Wilton and Warminster, passing through a dozen sleepy hamlets, with expansive views of the surrounding hills.  Lovely cycling country.

I skipped through Warminster and Dilton Marsh and found a quiet route via Rudge.  The sun was making an appearance and all was well with the world.  I couldn't avoid the A36 for half a mile but then rode to Bath using a B road which included a magnificent swoop down into Midford, and cyclepath/quiet lanes to the start of the audax at Combe Down in Bath.

I arrived just as the large field was getting ready to leave.  Quite good timing as it meant I could monopolise the toast and jam which I badly needed after my early morning ride.  So I set off on my own about 15 minutes after the other riders had passed.

The start of this ride is a fast spin out of Bath, towards the reservoirs just north of the Mendip plateau.  The reservoirs looked stunning today.  We rode past both Chew Valley and Blagdon Lakes, using causeways which gave a wide-reaching view across the water.
At one point in the lanes, I was chased up a hill by a crazy dog.  I sped up the hill, fuelled by adrenaline, and out of instinct I let out a primordial roar which seemed to confuse the poor beast enough to stop chasing me.

Shortly afterwards I had the good fortune to bump into an old friend who was also riding the audax, who I met on my first audax ride (Tour of the Purbecks), over 13 years ago.  We rode together for the first climb up onto the Mendips, Blagdon Hill, which gains over 700ft in less than two miles.  Once on top, we were treated to that wild Mendip landscape, as we crossed via Charterhouse with views that stretched to clearly see Cardiff on the other side of the Severn.

There had evidently been some rain and damp roads made me take the swooping drop off the Mendips via Shipham quite cautiously.  This took us to Cheddar for the half way control.  The sandwiches I was carrying weren't going to eat themselves, so I enjoyed these here, foregoing the delights of the ice cream parlour.  I set off alone, and crept around the base of the hills to climb once more onto the top via the long steep rise out of Draycott.  The route proper climbs the Gorge, but I must say I find it quite a busy road and a better descent than it is a climb.  I emerged at the top, back on route, and crossed to Priddy, where we plummeted off the hills once more via Old Bristol Road into Wells, a very pretty town and well worth a look around.

The ride back to Bath was sublime with sunshine and tailwind.  The bit through Faulkland was particularly good and here I was passed by some Andover Wheelers who were clearly enjoying the blast back just as much as me.

I re-joined my morning route via Midford and here came the highlight of the day, an eerie ride through the Two Tunnels cycle route, the first of which is over a mile long and dimly lit at regular intervals, with the benefit of the piped sound of violins!  I have a tiny LED permanently attached to my helmet, which was very handy given that the tunnels were quite busy with all sorts of cyclists enjoying a chilly ride underground.

I emerged somewhere in Bath, luckily armed with a street map which enabled me to head back to Combe Down via Entry Hill, which was a bit of a brute after 200km.  There was a fine welcome and good catering to be back at the hall on this superbly organised event.  Many of the riders had already finished and were enjoying the refreshments on offer, with the bonus of live coverage of stage two of Le Tour.

So, the ride home.  Back through the quiet lanes once more, the Westbury white horse shining out brightly on the horizon.  I wound my way back down the Wylye Valley in the afternoon sun and only as I neared home did I have to contend with a few rain showers which I had been observing approaching me for some time.  The last mile was actually a flat out sprint to avoid a soaking, and I made it home just after seven, with 190 very enjoyable miles on the clock and pleased to have done my longest ride for over a year.

A big thank you to Rob and Bath CC for putting on this splendid event.  If you've never ridden on the Mendips, I heartily recommend it for cycling.  There are far-reaching views in all directions from the top, and you have a choice of gentle climbs or brutal ascents in order to get up there.  It has a character all of its own.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Re: Mendip Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2016, 11:32:10 am »
Belated thanks Scampi, excellent report!

Yes, the Mendips are splendid.

Entry in for this year's edition.