Author Topic: Gridiron ride 2008  (Read 1579 times)

Gridiron ride 2008
« on: 06 October, 2008, 02:12:31 pm »
I rode this yesterday - I can't believe it was my 9th consecutive Gridiron ride; it makes me feel like an oldie!

It was the fact that I didn't want to break the sequence that motivated me to get out of bed and ride to the start in foul conditions, using my well-worn route between Romsey and Lymington. The section across the old airfield at Fritham must be Hampshire's longest flattest straightest road. There isn't a scrap of shelter and the exposed traverse of the plain into wind and heavy rain was character building.

Soon I turned out of the wind and gained shelter in the form of the ornamental drives. I love the forest at this time of year, just as the autumn colours are starting to form. If anything the rain and gloom only heightened the beauty as the colours were all the more vivid for it.

Eventually I rolled up at Boldre village hall to see that apparently no-one had been put off by the weather and the hall was, as usual, bursting with hundreds of cyclists. Quite a few "normal people" as well, i.e. not just your usual club riders. The helpers were turning out batches of bacon rolls that were being snapped up at a rate of knots.

Soon the Pompey gang arrived (actually just Postie and Yorkie) having been delayed by 40 miles of headwind and rain, and we were off at the slightly later time of 10.00am, having missed the most popular start at 9.30.

The first section headed west, exposed and windy over to Burley. Here we picked up another of the Pompey crew, DJ, and encountered the first of many impassable fords, many of which I wouldn't have attempted in a car let alone on two wheels. Luckily they all have footbridges.

The next section was over Crow Moor to Ringwood. Our passage through Ringwood was notable for being overtaken by a pick up truck being driven by a moron, blasting on his horn and passing the long line of riders oblivious to the presence of oncoming traffic. It was a rare and unpleasant incident but this driver could easily have killed someone.

Soon normal service was resumed: I've only ever seen the ford just past Ringwood when it has been dry, but now it was well under water. The footbridge was there, albeit hidden, so our crossing was dry. Soon we reached the first control at Hyde village hall, where I made a determined attempt to put a sizeable dent in the mountain of biscuits assembled by the willing helpers.

Much refreshed, the next leg was 6 miles over the heathland via Deadman's Hill. With the wind at our backs this was much easier cycling and the pace increased up to a steady 20mph. We dropped down into Nomansland and Bramshaw, where we saw the first of several lots of pigs, together with lots of little piglets, adding to the variety of wildlife in the forest.

It had now stopped raining, so I was able to ignore the turn to Romsey and press on to the second control at Colbury. More tea and biscuits, and again very welcome.

The final section heads south down to Beaulieu. Now patches of sun were breaking through and making me feel very warm in my waterproof jacket. Yorkie was now winding up the pace and making life difficult trying to keep in contact. The final few miles via Buckler's Hard were hard work as Yorkie struck out for home - it was like trying to follow a motorbike. I kept in contact until the last mile, which was ridden at a more comfortable pace.

The ample spread of food at the finish was very welcome as I felt somewhat knackered.

Now the ride home. The day had now settled down into being dry and cloudy as I retraced via the ornamental drives. It was very pleasant as the weather had kept the cars away and for most of the time I had the roads to myself. I was less happy to find that the wind had turned around and for the second time I had a windy traverse of the Fritham plain.

I was relieved to reach Bramble hill and drop down off the exposed plains. The last few miles home are nice and easy - just the last mountain of Ryedown Lane, which, in the past, has reduced many a man me to tears. Today it was fine and soon I was dropping down the hill into Romsey. Bike in the garage, key in the door, and straight into the shower.

What a day - enjoyable and memorable, even though my wife thought I was mad. Bring on Gridiron no. 10 - I'm looking forward to it already.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...