Author Topic: Dorchester 3D 300  (Read 12725 times)

Re: Dorchester 3D 300
« Reply #50 on: 30 April, 2012, 06:39:09 am »
Thanks Peter and helpers, and all the company I enjoyed during the ride - such as the group in the photo (waiting for Hummers to catch up after a puncture).

Will come back with a blog post, I can't put the day into words just yet, for now only one word comes to mind.

Hummers, was it Nomad who's track was on at the 4 Cs?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #51 on: 30 April, 2012, 08:23:31 am »

Hummers, was it Nomad who's track was on at the 4 Cs?

Indeed.

It was..

H

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #52 on: 30 April, 2012, 08:37:39 am »
What a day is all I can say ....Hats off to Hackney Innit Josh for his endeavours on fixed trully awesome effort ........................ but your beard could do with a trim as it will help the aerodynamics! I have also today realised just how tough our man Huumers is...............virtually all day in short sleeve jersey, shorts and no socks ..............
Great to ride with you Jon!  The facial hair is staying, but your tip is most welcome.  Perhaps I could invest in one of those Sikh style beard hammocks?

Many thanks to Pete and helpers for your warm hospitality and a truly '3D' expedition.

best,
Justin

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Dorchester 3D 300
« Reply #53 on: 30 April, 2012, 08:46:03 am »
I heard on the news this morning that a car went through a bridge in West Stafford into the river due to floods!!! We were lucky.....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Priddy

• One of the "wrong sorts"
« Reply #54 on: 30 April, 2012, 09:40:18 am »
What a rather fantastic ride. The wind at the end can only really be described as Epic. I will easily say this was one of the most difficult rides I have done to date. I am quite sure I am setting myself up for a fall by saying that.

Some very memorable moments on the ride, Having a picnic on the beach in Dwalish, almost being blown off the bike at the top of a couple of hills and fighting against the wind for so much of the journey home.

The hills were spectacular, the long drags leading up to some fantastic views and the short sharp climbs to warm you up.

Thanks Pete for organising such a great ride and for your company along so much of it :-)

Hummers

« Reply #55 on: 30 April, 2012, 11:16:18 am »
I will easily say this was one of the most difficult rides I have done to date. I am quite sure I am setting myself up for a fall by saying that.

Whilst my legs (today) would agree with this statement, I suggest you hold fire on setting this one aside within your Wessex catalogue until you have done the lot; especially the Porkers in two weeks time.

:demon:

H

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #56 on: 30 April, 2012, 11:32:43 am »
I will easily say this was one of the most difficult rides I have done to date. I am quite sure I am setting myself up for a fall by saying that.

Whilst my legs (today) would agree with this statement, I suggest you hold fire on setting this one aside within your Wessex catalogue until you have done the lot; especially the Porkers in two weeks time.

:demon:

H

We can but hope that the weather will be kinder to us on Porkers in two weeks time...
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #57 on: 30 April, 2012, 11:30:29 pm »
What helps me with climbing is commuting on a heavier bike, with fixed gear or single speed, so I have to use strength to climb up the hills.When I get on my audax bike it feels light and nimble in comparison. When starting up a long hill using a geared bike I often sight some object half way up, eg a signpost , or tree, and decide not to change down gears until I have reached it. Frequently I find that I can ride even further than the object before changing down. Of course there are lots of tips on the net about climbing, and there is a thread on my club's website at the moment, see:

http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/kwccforum/viewtopic.php?t=7456

Also try using your arms to pull on the bars whilst turning the pedals in a slightly higher gear than normal, and try circling your ankles as you pedal,so it feels like you are trying to scrape something unwelcome off your shoe, instead of holding the ankles rigid as many people do. Alternate standing on the pedals, and pulling hard on the bars in a higher gear with sitting back and pedalling gently in a lower gear when you need a breather.
Finally ensure you are eating enough carbs. On really hilly rides its sometimes necessary to eat between controls, eg a quick banana or energy bar.

thats what gets me round - a bit quicker is all I'm after

So, all you climbers, what do I need to do to get up those hills?

Only in my opinion, but I reckon all of these rides that are based on travelling through superb countryside are adventures; grand views, grunty bits and moments where you feel that you have seen/found somewhere for the first time.

I don't think you need any more motivation than that.

H
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #58 on: 02 May, 2012, 06:33:02 am »
Here's my blog post: MyBlog

Eddy Merckx has a few top tips on climbing from his book 'Fiets Passie':
  • if you slide back on your seat whilst climbing you need to look at your setup
  • 'ankling' as previously mentioned.  Also called 'Souplesse', and mastered by Lance Armstrong.  The pulling up part is something I'll think about in my next ride
  • minimise moving side to side
  • getting out of the saddle is good for a change of position, but takes an extra 10-12% energy
  • very technical, but there is meant to be an optimum heart bpm for climbing
  • psychological, half way up the climb, look back to what you've already done, this gives you 'wings'
  • body weight, on a climb like Mont Ventoux, 1kg less weight can save you 3 minutes

A top tip I've picked up on the way is from 'Life of Brian': just push harder gears in 'training'.  And from an ex-pro: interval training (speed up recovery time, after every hill you'll be in a better position to tackle the next)

Hummers

« Reply #59 on: 02 May, 2012, 06:51:11 am »
Here's my blog post: MyBlog

Eddy Merckx has a few top tips on climbing from his book 'Fiets Passie':
  • if you slide back on your seat whilst climbing you need to look at your setup
  • 'ankling' as previously mentioned.  Also called 'Souplesse', and mastered by Lance Armstrong.  The pulling up part is something I'll think about in my next ride
  • minimise moving side to side
  • getting out of the saddle is good for a change of position, but takes an extra 10-12% energy
  • very technical, but there is meant to be an optimum heart bpm for climbing
  • psychological, half way up the climb, look back to what you've already done, this gives you 'wings'
  • body weight, on a climb like Mont Ventoux, 1kg less weight can save you 3 minutes

A top tip I've picked up on the way is from 'Life of Brian': just push harder gears in 'training'.  And from an ex-pro: interval training (speed up recovery time, after every hill you'll be in a better position to tackle the next)

Hold on.

It says nothing there about not going for the 3 'delicious' sausages at the Grotto Cafe, Seaton.

H

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Dorchester 3D 300
« Reply #60 on: 02 May, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »

Hold on.

It says nothing there about not going for the 3 'delicious' sausages at the Grotto Cafe, Seaton.

H
Good point !!!  :-)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #61 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:31:02 pm »
Hold on.

H
Let me re-consult the book when I get home.  It may at least say something about mayonnaise (at 85 pence a pot).

Hummers

« Reply #62 on: 02 May, 2012, 02:28:28 pm »
Hold on.

H
Let me re-consult the book when I get home.  It may at least say something about mayonnaise (at 85 pence a pot).

...but that was not ordinary mayonnaise. That was "The Four C's" very own secret recipe.

Much like the C***ish pasty and chips.  :sick:

H

« Reply #63 on: 02 May, 2012, 05:01:34 pm »
4 c usually of very good merchantable quality was it below par then gents?
Purely ride fixed

NRB

• I'm doing this for fun, not for charity
« Reply #64 on: 03 May, 2012, 08:55:38 am »
Thanks for all the tips.

So, I have to work harder and loose weight! My wife keeps telling me I should go out more often (I think, in a good way).

I've heard before about the fixed wheel training approach. Might give that some real consideration this year. Is it my imagination, or do fixies typically have larger frames or can I just convert an existing bike?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #65 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:12:02 am »
I've heard before about the fixed wheel training approach. Might give that some real consideration this year. Is it my imagination, or do fixies typically have larger frames or can I just convert an existing bike?

Fixed wheel bikes only seem larger 'cos they tend to be be based traditional diamond frames. A fair chunk of the bikes on the road are older steel frames with forward facing horizontal-ish dropouts, which you just don't get on generic modern frames. You do see some modern semi-compact fixers though. I think the Langster counts as one.

And yes, you really need horizontal dropouts (forward facing or track ends (rear facing) for fixed wheel so you can adjust the chain tension. There are alternatives but they are time and money pits. IMO.

Hummers

« Reply #66 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:41:55 am »
Thanks for all the tips.

So, I have to work harder and loose weight! My wife keeps telling me I should go out more often (I think, in a good way).

Just keep riding these events - don't worry about your weight or bike too much.

I am about 2-3 stone lighter than I have been over the last 6 years and it hasn't made any discernible difference to my speed other than descents are slower.

H

« Reply #67 on: 05 June, 2019, 04:07:45 pm »
Are there many people doing this 3D 300 this weekend?

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #68 on: 05 June, 2019, 08:45:04 pm »
Last I heard there were only about half a dozen entries - a clash with the Pendle means the ACH crew aren't coming down, but I would have expected more, it's a classic - and great - ride, and it doesn't run very often... but clearly a very well hidden gem.

« Reply #69 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:37:04 am »
Thanks Andy, I'll prepare for a long lonely day then :-)

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #70 on: 07 June, 2019, 04:44:51 pm »
hi,
there's 10 apparently: almost a peloton :thumbsup: we'll almost certainly ride together to Axminster Station Café, as stage one is fairly benign, I'm not expecting to clear 20kph moving average for the day, what are you thinking?
andrew.

« Reply #71 on: 07 June, 2019, 08:21:53 pm »
Yeah there or there abouts, last 300 was the Dean and 18 hours and don't want to do that again.
Finished by dark is my main goal but just want to have a nice day out 🙂

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #72 on: 07 June, 2019, 09:00:21 pm »
Ah, day on your own off the front :facepalm: ...have you seen the profile? Finish in daylight is quite a feat! See you at the start :thumbsup:

« Reply #73 on: 07 June, 2019, 09:06:43 pm »
Well maybe not then, I'll take it as it comes.
I definitely had no intention of being on my own at the front, not st my age with these knees and this wine  😁

« Reply #74 on: 07 June, 2019, 09:09:20 pm »
Actually, my age is pretty young in the audax would 🙂