Linked Events

• Dun Run on ITV1 London at 6pm: 13 April, 2008

Author Topic: Dun Run on TV  (Read 16264 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Dun Run on TV
« Reply #50 on: 13 April, 2008, 11:04:57 pm »
Works great for me, though sad there is not more about Beatrix there, we should have dragged it to the beach :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #51 on: 13 April, 2008, 11:17:18 pm »
Who was the guy at the end talking about the 2006 fatality?   I'm sure I recognised him.

That's Martin, he mentioned he was interviewed several posts up.  I think he was part of Team speed for a bit too until we got separated exiting London

:thumbsup:  Martin was the name in my mind.   I think I rode a bit of the 2006 one with him.

« Reply #52 on: 13 April, 2008, 11:31:23 pm »
It's going to be a codec issue, but download this application it basically can play anything

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I had the same problem in the default media player that comes on XP.

I tried Apple Quicktime (iTunes put it on this machine even though I wanted neither application) but that's just crashed as per usual leaving me a blob in the middle of my screen I'll need to reboot to get rid of  >:( (or work out what process to kill)

That download seems to have worked.

But, a question for the jury, why do people insist on creating videos that require the end user to download additional software/codecs to watch?   What's wrong with just using the generic ones that the majority of people have installed as default?

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #53 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:36:13 am »
But, a question for the jury, why do people insist on creating videos that require the end user to download additional software/codecs to watch?   What's wrong with just using the generic ones that the majority of people have installed as default?

The newer codecs tend to give a higher compression ratio for the equivalent quality, but aren't installed by default. Some of that is down to licensing/patent issues- in many cases you're meant to pay a fee to the license holder for the right to use a codec, and several Linux distros try to dissuade users from using them. There's multiple versions of Windows, many manufacturers pre-install software, other software may install additional codecs without telling you. Encoders probably won't include many codecs due to licensing restrictions, and of course they're all different. And since the encoder will also install a decoder you'd need to get another computer to test whether it'll work.

I am nothing and should be everything

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #54 on: 14 April, 2008, 06:30:16 am »
I used FreeDVDRipper.

YouTube gets round the codec problem by using Flash, but also resizes everything to a weird size, making it blocky, and makes it mono sound.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

« Reply #55 on: 14 April, 2008, 06:36:35 am »
http://www.lonewolff.info/videos/dunwich.avi

This doesn't want to play on my mac..

It works perfectly for me in Ubuntu :)

It launches in the mplayer plugin for Firefox.

I had the same problem in the default media player that comes on XP.

;D

« Reply #56 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:29:34 am »
That was me [cringe, cringe :-\]. 

border-rider

« Reply #57 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:31:15 am »
I thought you were good.  Very clear, very coherent and a nice soundbite for them.

« Reply #58 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:35:37 am »
Thank you, MV - I always find it excruciating when I see (or hear) myself recorded!

rogerzilla

« Reply #59 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:04:40 am »
You could have mentioned that the van driver was on the wrong side of the road, and has been convicted of (IIRC) causing death by careless driving  >:(

They probably wouldn't have used the clip then, however.

« Reply #60 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:09:41 am »
As I said, I was zonked.

rogerzilla

« Reply #61 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:46:51 pm »
If anyone has Quicktime or other authoring tools, I still have it on straight-from-the-digibox DVD.  I'm sure it's possible to get a 1024-wide rip and a reasonable file size.  I can burn the DVD folders to a CD - there's only a few hundred MB raw.