Author Topic: The Peli Birthday Ride  (Read 3166 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The Peli Birthday Ride
« on: 18 May, 2008, 09:47:23 pm »
It was all kept very hush-hush, but Woolly managed to organise a nice little ride for Peliroja, whose 30th birthday it is in a day or two. Mrs. Wow and I caught the 8.15 train to Fenchurch Street and then cycled the entire length of the Embankment to Parsons Green, and then onto Woollypeli Villas where tea, cake and surprised expressions were the order of the morning. Then we cycled to Windsor, visiting a couple of pubs en route.

It was a gorgeously relaxed day with about twenty riders, I think. I was still pretty knackered after only managing something like 9 hours' sleep in the past 48. Regulator managed to wind up a BMW driver perhaps more than any I've seen of late. There were strong words exchanges, slammings into reverse, squeals of tyres and finally, it seemed that the fine man had been intending to take his family to the same pub that we were going to, and when he saw that all these cyclists were there, he changed his mind and roared off, gesticulating in a most vulgar fashion as he disappeared.

It was a really lovely day.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: The Peli Birthday Ride
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2008, 10:10:20 pm »
Thanks for launching this one Wow.
I too had a very fine day, in very fine company.
Whoever was responsible for the route (It may've been Zipperhead - he and PG did much leading - I hope I haven't got that wrong) I salute you.
A lovely, laid back ride.

My legs tingling just the right amount  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2008, 10:24:38 pm »
A grand day out  :) - it's being mentioned in Ping BTW.

We must head out in that direction again soon: Richmond, Teddington, Hampton Court Palace, Sunbury, a diversion to Shepperton Lock, Chertsey, across the M25 to Lyne and Virginia Water, and into Windsor Great Park where Peli and one or two others were about to cycle down The Long Walk but thought better of it... or at least, came back when the rest of us didn't go. Out of Ranger's Gate on to Sheet Street Road and into Windsor, where we were gutted to find that Montezuma's was shut forcing us to go to B@n and J^r£ies.

I love going along the river - the systems of locks and lakes and what not are so complex.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:48:33 am »
It was all kept very hush-hush, but Woolly managed to organise a nice little ride for Peliroja, whose 30th birthday it is in a day or two.

Happy birthday Peli - you don't look a day over 29  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2008, 07:59:50 am »
It was all kept very hush-hush, but Woolly managed to organise a nice little ride for Peliroja, whose 30th birthday it is in a day or two. Mrs. Wow and I caught the 8.15 train from to Fenchurch Street and then cycled the entire length of the Embankment to Parsons Green, and then onto Woollypeli Villas where tea, cake and surprised expressions were the order of the morning. Then we cycled to Windsor, visiting a couple of pubs en route.

It was a gorgeously relaxed day with about twenty riders, I think. I was still pretty knackered after only managing something like 9 hours' sleep in the past 48. Regulator managed to wind up a BMW driver perhaps more than any I've seen of late. There were strong words exchanges, slammings into reverse, squeals of tyres and finally, it seemed that the fine man had been intending to take his family to the same pub that we were going to, and when he saw that all these cyclists were there, he changed his mind and roared off, gesticulating in a most vulgar fashion as he disappeared.

It was a really lovely day.

It wasn't a BMW - it was a rather ancient Ford.  And he was putting us at risk and I merely pointed out that his driving style was rather twattish.   ;D

Other than that it was an excellent ride!  :thumbsup:

And I even got a few slaps from Peli.....  :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:07:46 am »
I was party to this idea but unforunately required to work....bugger.

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:10:42 am »
shame I missed it too, looks like a great ride.  After the FTRTTC and subsequent heavy negative brownie point score by snoring through most of saturday, sunday was mostly gardening...

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:11:12 am »
Happy Belated Birthday!

I remembered 2 mins after bumping into them (Peli, Wooly, Valiant and Sergeant Pluck) at Putney station.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2008, 01:12:25 pm »
You were virtually unrecognisable without your cycling shorts and having had a shave  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2008, 01:15:41 pm »
You were virtually unrecognisable without your cycling shorts and having had a shave  ;)

Peli ??

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2008, 05:03:18 pm »
I saw you, I saw you! A procession going from Richmond to Petersham. I was sitting in the in Park above the road at the Hollyhock Cafe. 11:30 ish. Thinks there's a few cyclists..... a guy with a white beard on a tandem.... I wonder .... no could'nt have been. But is was!
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:20:24 pm »
I saw you, I saw you! A procession going from Richmond to Petersham. I was sitting in the in Park above the road at the Hollyhock Cafe. 11:30 ish. Thinks there's a few cyclists..... a guy with a white beard on a tandem.... I wonder .... no could'nt have been. But is was!
;D
If you'd been quick you could have got my autograph!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2008, 07:43:55 am »
Sounds like a nice time was had.  The route sounds nice, would anyone be kind enough to post it?

« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:00:14 am »
I should be able to do a .gpx file for the route from Hampton Court onwards, if I get time later, as I had my sat nav on.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2008, 09:43:15 am »
I've got a GPS for the whole ride, fromFenchurch Street to Windsor. I haven't taken it off the machine yet.

« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2008, 09:51:17 am »
A big thumbs up to the route, I thought it was lovely. As was the company  of course :)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #16 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:00:51 pm »
If I understand what I'm doing (unlikely) then this is the route from Richmond to Windsor that we took.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!