Author Topic: Google Latitude  (Read 3692 times)

Google Latitude
« on: 07 February, 2009, 07:59:08 pm »
http://www.google.com/latitude

This is quite cool!  My brother and I have been watching each other move around today, and Mrs BM was watching me cycle to the park and return home again.  We installed Google Maps with Latitude on our GPS equipped S60 mobile phones, and it updates where you are.

One problem I have so far is that my phone can't do GPS inside my carbon fibre tailbox, so the updates are much more wide when the phone uses cell stations instead to narrow down my location.  I guess a bluetooth GPS mouse will do to fix that.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Re: Google Latitude
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2009, 12:23:37 pm »
I'm surprised no-one's commented yet - think of the potential for this when on a ride like the Dun Run.  You can see where your mates are in near real time.

OTOH imagine your work wants this installed on your work mobile phone - can't see that being quite as popular.

« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2009, 12:26:26 pm »
It's been mentioned on the LEL tracking thread, it's just it's not been released for iPhone yet, so I haven't had a play on it so far.

« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2009, 12:29:01 pm »
And my phone (Nokia 6230i) is old enough that it'll never work with it and it is not compelling enough a reason for me to update my phone.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

inc

« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2009, 03:18:27 pm »
There was some info on TV about it saying you need Google maps on all the time which reduces battery life. The concept looks good but Google have a habit of releasing applications that are little more than beta.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 09 February, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »
Although Google makes much of it's Do No Evil thing, this terrifies me.  Think of the abuses it could trigger.

BBC Story
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2009, 03:45:01 pm »
Err, I'm missing something.

If it's "opt-in" then surely the users will be aware that it is broadcasting their location?

If a company gives you a phone with this enabled then they're responsible for the abuse, not Google.

Even without Latitude, the company can just as easily be paying a small amount to the mobile operator for server assisted location data of its employees phones without the employee ever knowing. And they can do this for my crap Nokia 6230i which will never be supported by Latitude.

NON-STORY.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2009, 05:40:29 pm »
I'm just waiting for the release on Iphone.

Why is it a problem that google have this information ? Your phone operator have this info already be it o2, voda etc.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2009, 08:39:47 am »
Imagine for a moment, a society where everyone carries mobile phones with a service like this enabled.  Perhaps it's become so commonplace that all new phones have it enabled by default, just like voicemail or picture messaging is today.

We don't need Andy Gates to give us another epistle on the post-privacy society to realise that data-leakage would enable all sorts of commercial entities to get hold of the information about where we are and where we've been. 

As it is, Tesco know more about you through your clubcard than the East German security forces knew about their population before the wall came down.  Imagine what would happen if they could get their hands on this data to "profile" you further.  And that's just the insidious data creep which would allow the big corporates to further bleed you dry (sorry, be helpful in your life).

What about the possibilities of constructing breadcrumb trails for where a person's been?  I'll guarantee you that there will be hundreds of differnt Google Mashups allowing you to overlay a map with someone's snail-trail.

Easy to spot patterns in their daily journeys (commutes, friends houses, shopping trips, etc) and frighteningly easy to see the spidery offshoots representing anomalies.

What were you doing at the abortion clinic?
Why did you go to see your ex?
Is that a firm of solicitors you visited yesterday?
It looks like you visited the probation office last week, didn't you?
Have you been going to the pub on the way home?
I told you I didn't like you hanging around with those girls after school
You're spending too long in the cafe on your break, we're going to give you a written warning
It would have been a lovely surprise, but I saw you going into that shop yesterday and realised you must have been getting me one.

This thing could well allow more stealthy corporate intrusion into our daily lives, increasing the stranglehold that big business has over us.  It could erode trust and responsibility between families and partners and it could represent a potential abuse between employer and employee making mandatory drug testing look quite normal.

I'm not against the tech - it could have many amazing applications that we've not even thought of.  I'm certainly not for stopping it.

The problem with introducing this sort of thing is that it could be used for just as much ill as it could good.  We need to be aware of the potential for abuse and regulate it out of the system before we go any further.

But we won't  :(

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 17 February, 2009, 08:47:38 am »
Surely if you carry a mobile and it's switched on, this data is available already? Your mobile is silently (less so if you are next to a speaker) logging on and off network nodes all the time, and if you are moving around, that is easily captured.

Isn't this stuff already used by the Police? In fact, isn't it used to aid prosecutions of drivers using mobiles?

Not all data is bad.

« Reply #10 on: 17 February, 2009, 08:49:08 am »
Surely if you carry a mobile and it's switched on, this data is available already? Your mobile is silently (less so if you are next to a speaker) logging on and off network nodes all the time, and if you are moving around, that is easily captured.

Isn't this stuff already used by the Police? In fact, isn't it used to aid prosecutions of drivers using mobiles?

Not all data is bad.

Above seem to have forgotten this!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:02:57 am »
But without Latitude installed, I can switch my phone off and people who call me can't definitely conclude that I don't want to be contacted - they have to give me the benefit of the doubt, as I could be in a tunnel or a building or whatever.

It's the same for the phone company (and the police if they have a warrant to see my data).  They can't infer that I didn't want to be followed.

With Latitude, you'd be turning it on and off with the phone connection still enabled and working all the time.  And people would wonder, "Why's she dropped off the grid?  What's she doing that she doesn't want me to know about?"

Do you see?  We're about to enter a society where we can't turn the telescreen off without Big Brother asking why.

« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:45:33 am »
It's not proper paranoia if they're really after you.

« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2009, 10:07:36 am »
and yet you don't *have* to share your info, just as you don't *have* to answer your phone all the time. You can choose whether to share nothing, just which city you're in, or more detailed location. Plus you get to control which friends see where you are, if any.