Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65310 times)

Re: Publicity
« Reply #50 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:13:34 pm »
I feel that sooner or later this whole attempt by Steve will capture `the great British Spirit`---wonderful amateur attempt on extreme record etc etc, and particularly as it`s also being attempted by someone who appears to be a semi professional Yank ! Even landlord at a local pub was very  interested and he doesn`t cycle.............

^ That
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #51 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:08:26 pm »
I was amused by this Twitter exchange from earlier this evening between Mick Bennett and whoever is lookong after Steve's Twitter account.

@steve_abraham74 would love to host Steve @CycleShow at the end of Sept would really give him a platform to tell the world about his ride

@M1ckBennett @CycleShow cycling 200miles a day doesn't leave much time for Steve I'm afraid but crew chief @Hoppo347 might be able help out

@steve_abraham74 @CycleShow @Hoppo347 could he not ride to the show chat for a bit and then ride back to his base #justsayin #wewantsteve!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #52 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:39:10 pm »
Steves twitter account can be accessed by Hoppos partner -- so maybe that was who offered Hoppo rather than Steve
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #53 on: 24 January, 2015, 02:25:49 am »
Sports Personality of the Year is a thought, although Steve's ride will still be a work in progress when the programme is being put together.

It will help his case if he has broken Tommy's record by the time the BBC asks for public votes.

If Sky got involved, their limitless funds, high tech and fleet of Jaguar estate cars would certainly send a shiver down the spine of the Americans.

However, there may be contractual difficulties with existing sponsors about that.

And those who have helped from day one would inevitably feel left behind.

Also, would a Sky money-no-object sponsorship be in the spirit of the attempt?

Plenty of people have criticised Kurt just for using a knackered old people carrier driven by his girlfriend.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #54 on: 24 January, 2015, 02:41:47 am »
Sports Personality of the Year?!

I'll eat my hat. That'so not how SPOTY works. Sadly.

I left the typo in deliberately.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 24 January, 2015, 03:16:49 am »
Plenty of people have criticised Kurt just for using a knackered old people carrier driven by his girlfriend.

It looks fairly new and shiny in the photos I've seen and the most basic M-B Sprinter van starts at 36,000 USD.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #56 on: 24 January, 2015, 05:18:07 am »
Maybe McLaren or one of the other F1 teams would lend Steve one of their motorhomes

That would outdo Kurt, however old or new his vehicle is.

« Reply #57 on: 24 January, 2015, 06:28:22 am »
Maybe McLaren or one of the other F1 teams would lend Steve one of their motorhomes

That would outdo Kurt, however old or new his vehicle is.

Or SKY could lend him the Death Star????? :o

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #58 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:53:12 pm »
One of the most attractive things about Steve's ride is that it has, to a great extent, been crowd-funded. OK, sponsor companies have provided kit, and I'm not intending to belittle that, but Steve needs food and warmth, also the bills to be paid on his flat while he's out on the road. I think it's wonderful how people who have met Steve, even only briefly, and, indeed, quite a few who have just met him on-line, are prepared to chip in for this absolutely crazy idea.

I think it would be a big mistake even to consider approaching Sky.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:01:25 am »
One of the most attractive things about Steve's ride is that it has, to a great extent, been crowd-funded. OK, sponsor companies have provided kit, and I'm not intending to belittle that, but Steve needs food and warmth, also the bills to be paid on his flat while he's out on the road. I think it's wonderful how people who have met Steve, even only briefly, and, indeed, quite a few who have just met him on-line, are prepared to chip in for this absolutely crazy idea.

+1

Of course it's down to Steve,  but the attempt would definitely lose something by taking on massive corporate support in that way. A donation wouldn't be out of place though ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #60 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:16:59 am »

+1

My suggestion of SKY was purely tongue-in-cheek. I whole heartedly support the "Crowd Funding" approach. If Steve pulls this off, it will be one of the most remarkable aspects of the whole project.
Of course it's down to Steve,  but the attempt would definitely lose something by taking on massive corporate support in that way. A donation wouldn't be out of place though ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:31:48 am »
My suggestion of SKY was purely tongue-in-cheek.
Understood!

But it's not a ludicrous idea that somebody big might want involvement later in the year,  given the rate that the profile of this is growing. So it's (sort of) worth discussing,  IMHO.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #62 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:37:13 am »
Understood!

But it's not a ludicrous idea that somebody big might want involvement later in the year,  given the rate that the profile of this is growing. So it's (sort of) worth discussing,  IMHO.

I fear you are correct Matt.  The longer this goes on and the more it looks like Steve will do it, the more "Corporate UK" will want to get involved. I suspect there may come a tipping point when it becomes an avalanche of sponsorship requests as corporates try to jump on the bandwagon. They will of course also start trying to dictate certain aspects of what Steve (Or for that matter Kurt) are trying to do. This should be resisted at all cost to keep the attempt "pure".

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #63 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:57:44 am »

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #64 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:13:13 am »
Understood!

I fear you are correct Matt.  The longer this goes on and the more it looks like Steve will do it, the more "Corporate UK" will want to get involved. I suspect there may come a tipping point when it becomes an avalanche of sponsorship requests as corporates try to jump on the bandwagon. They will of course also start trying to dictate certain aspects of what Steve (Or for that matter Kurt) are trying to do. This should be resisted at all cost to keep the attempt "pure".

Commercial sponsorship is a big bugbear of mine. I hate the whole concept. It takes talent and endeavour away from where it belongs, amongst the people who nurtured it, and makes it the possession of Big Corporations. The result is that it is very difficult to do anything out of the ordinary without having to sully yourself by "signing a contract" with a BigCo who foots the bills.

When I ran Essex Junior Chess I had to scrape around trying to get sponsorship so that our teams could travel, get coaching and compete on level terms with the others. After a few years of this I was fortunate enough to start teaching a talented young lad whose mother was Chief Exec of Kingdom of Leather. She sponsored us to the tune of several hundred pounds a year and we didn't even have to wear kinky leather gear when we were playing chess.

However, it's best discussed in POBI I suppose. Or NSFW.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #65 on: 25 January, 2015, 11:08:15 am »
We sponsored a large local community festival. We said no publicity.
They asked for our logo and we said no publicity - this is not being done for commercial gain.

They put a full page in the programme with a hashed up logo they'd made.

We didn't sponsor them again.
It is simpler than it looks.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #66 on: 25 January, 2015, 04:54:55 pm »
Daily Telegraph - Meet the man who is trying to cycle over 200 miles every day for a year

Quite a thorough report there.  It gives the sorts of details about Steve's minor niggles (e.g. his right knee) that have been lacking in all the other articles I've read so far.  I'm glad I read it.

« Reply #67 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:21:58 pm »
Daily Telegraph - Meet the man who is trying to cycle over 200 miles every day for a year

Quite a thorough report there.  It gives the sorts of details about Steve's minor niggles (e.g. his right knee) that have been lacking in all the other article's I've read so far.  I'm glad I read it.

Agreed.
A pretty good article for a mainstream publication.

« Reply #68 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:30:55 pm »
Insightful podcast from http://cyclingtimetrialpodcast.libsyn.com
Thanks Kieron. Intrigued to hear him say 'I'm not eating much at the moment.'

« Reply #69 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:43:02 pm »
I liked the Telegraph article quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see the comments from the arm chair experts.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #70 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:47:55 pm »

Quite a thorough report there.  It gives the sorts of details about Steve's minor niggles (e.g. his right knee) that have been lacking in all the other articles I've read so far.  I'm glad I read it.

"The new regime is already taking its toll. Abraham says that he's been surprised by the "raging appetite" he works up after only 50 miles of cycling each day, and explains that he's been losing around a kilogram of weight every week (he now weighs 70kg). "

:o

I'm not surprised he's losing weight, but what of the future? He's obviously been assisted by the spare tyre he was carrying to begin with [I'm sure that was the idea], but he obviously can't sustain a continued weight loss like that without his performance being seriously affected. He's obviously well aware of all this, but what's his thinking here in terms of how he expects it all to pan out?
Garry Broad

« Reply #71 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:49:15 pm »
I enjoyed the Telegraph piece - even if the first comment is a little doubtful about his speed and distance ...

The links below offered an article on Real Food for riding - not a mention of sausages, but at least one recipe does involve bacon.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #72 on: 25 January, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »
I just found this  from Finland from 9. January  :thumbsup: edit : based on the CNN article

« Reply #73 on: 25 January, 2015, 06:36:54 pm »
Understood!

To me one of the `honourable` aspects of this amazing attempt has been the lack of big commercial jump on board sponsors which could turn whole undertaking into a massive publicity show for sponsors, leaving aside the main object of the ride. I for one have been happy to make a small monthly donation as have very many others (and one offs too) and I feel this make the ride so much more `British` and so may it remain
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #74 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:01:13 pm »
I'm not surprised he's losing weight, but what of the future? He's obviously been assisted by the spare tyre he was carrying to begin with [I'm sure that was the idea], but he obviously can't sustain a continued weight loss like that without his performance being seriously affected. He's obviously well aware of all this, but what's his thinking here in terms of how he expects it all to pan out?

once he reaches his optimal weight (~65kg) it should stop falling - he'll just become even more efficient in using the calories. Steve will need even more layers next winter to stay warm!