Author Topic: Is This The End Of Retail?  (Read 65960 times)

Re: Is This The End Of Retail?
« Reply #450 on: 18 February, 2024, 04:38:08 pm »
Went to a local garden centre a week ago, the sort that sells everything besides plants and has an eatery. Apart from pets and pet food almost its entire stock besides plants consisted of discounted Christmas decorations. Despite the discounts prices were absurdly high.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #451 on: 21 February, 2024, 08:53:10 pm »
Quote from: Cudzoziemiec
I remember being told in the early '90s that Waterstones had an official policy of not prosecuting shoplifters...

Years ago I worked the information desk at a bookshop in NYC. One of the bonuses of the job was that it gave me the opportunity for a bit of exercise from time to time, because I served as backup for the security guy stationed at the front door.

Most stolen book: the good one.

One day yet another thief set off the alarm triggered by the thin metal strip chucked into the spine of hardcovers and the more expensive titles, prompting me to give chase down 42nd Street. It was thrilling, like some kind of TV show! And a few blocks later I caught up with the guy!!

He turned around, looked at me huffing & puffing, and pulled a knife. It's safe to say my lack of enthusiasm as deputised lawman can be traced from that moment.

I used to be occasionally store detective in the Coop. I occasionally had to give pursuit of errant children, fleeing with filched bags of crisps and thre like. As I was pretty much an errant child myself, it mostly wasn't much of a pursuit – I certainly stole several metric tonnes of pick-n-mix from Woolies. Occasionally they'd throw away their ill-gotten five-fingered booty and I'd eat it and then claim to have lost them. That happened a lot. I was basically outsourcing my thievery. I was also supposed to stop old ladies stealing tins of salmon for their cats. Really fast those old ladies, I don't recall ever catching them.

« Reply #452 on: 21 February, 2024, 09:17:03 pm »
Most American retailers have adopted a very strict "do not pursue" policy, to the point where any employee or manager who attempts to chase or physically stop a shoplifter can expect to be fired. The rationale seems to be that any injury to the employee is going to cost the retailer more than any amount of merchandise a shoplifter could walk off with (American healthcare might not be the best, but it's definitely the most expensive). The store I work in does, however, work pretty closely with the local police in trying to apprehend shoplifters and track down the more expensive stuff when it gets stolen.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #453 on: 21 February, 2024, 09:32:41 pm »
I used to run after people. Once, as the perp stopped to take breath, I casually mentioned that I ran half marathons, and I'd carry on following him until we saw one of the Met's finest.

He came back with me.

(I wouldn't do that now, on account of 1 not being able to and 2 knives and stuff init. )
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #454 on: 23 February, 2024, 05:57:02 pm »
Need to buy a pair of pyjamas. Tried M&S, only one set available in Medium, which was not suitable. Have had this size availability problem in M&S frequently over the years, you'd think such a major retailer would have a better idea of the population's size distribution.

No other shops in Uxbridge seem to sell pyjamas these days, got some weird looks from assistants when asked.

Don't want to buy online, need to feel the material first. Might be forced to buy a second set of Routemaster seat moquette pattern pyjamas from the London Transport Museum....

Went to John Lewis in Oxford Street today. Another shop that doesn't believe in pyjamas, just a very meagre selection in the loungewear area. Tried Uniqlo across the road - no pyjamas. Finally found some up the street in Muji, doubly discounted to half the original price.

Paid at a self service till, then when I got home found a security tag attached. Managed to remove it with a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of pliers without damage (to the pyjamas at least!).

« Reply #455 on: 23 February, 2024, 09:20:53 pm »
Changed the better in my car key fob. It’s the first one I’ve come across that hasn’t a coin shaped slot to turn the better cover with, rather a reinforced slot for a screwdriver.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)