Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186711 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #1075 on: 31 October, 2019, 06:02:09 pm »
That's exactly what I have seen!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1076 on: 31 October, 2019, 06:03:40 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1077 on: 31 October, 2019, 06:12:43 pm »
I remember we used to go to a place called Macmillans in Liverpool. Sweat would drip from the ceilings and you had to dance to prevent your feet becoming permanent bonded to the floor. It was £5, if I recall, and they'd serve vodka and tizer.

Sounds like most of the better Liverpool clubs.  I was a regular at The Cabin, which was basically a private club for nurses from every hospital in Liverpool, somehow I blagged a membership from Brian, the grumpy bloke who owned it & used to give lollipops to everyone as they left.  The Casa on Hope St & Razz on Fleet St were good as well. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1078 on: 01 November, 2019, 11:43:13 am »
As noted upthread, my colleagues are mostly Young People.  I made a passing reference to Minder and Arthur Daley, which was met with blank looks.

They only understood it when I linked Terry McCann to Denis Waterman to Little Britain.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1079 on: 01 November, 2019, 11:57:02 am »
As noted upthread, my colleagues are mostly Young People.  I made a passing reference to Minder and Arthur Daley, which was met with blank looks.

They only understood it when I linked Terry McCann to Denis Waterman to Little Britain.
Apropos of nothing in particular, when I worked at the Science Museum, our workshop was located in what was known as Hut K.
In a previous life, when Thames Television occupied Blythe House in West London, Hut K was Arthur Daley's lock up.
We had a photo of him hanging on the wall.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1080 on: 02 November, 2019, 10:15:05 am »
You know you're middle aged when you're a swing voter, according to the La Guardian.

« Reply #1081 on: 02 November, 2019, 05:49:38 pm »
I used to enjoy clubs, but carefully vetted for music and decent people. So maybe a bit like gigs. The Banshee in Manchester put its entrance up to 1p while I lived there. I met my wife in a nightclub too. Though the incomprehension Ian mentions creeps in occasionally.

I went to a club in London a year or two back, to see Kieran Hebden DJ. It was good fun, though I did feel a bit old and needed my bed by 2am, though the rest were still going strong. So maybe middle age is creeping up on me.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1082 on: 02 November, 2019, 06:32:01 pm »
You know you're middle aged when you're a swing voter, according to the La Guardian.

Does that mean more involvement than car keys in the bowl?
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1083 on: 09 November, 2019, 03:35:29 pm »
When you're riding along and start whistling/humming a childhood tune to yourself but suddenly stop because you remember it's now musica non grata, to coin a phrase.
(click to show/hide)
And this ties in with the current OK Boomer meme. There was a Rolf Harris Christmas album, made sometime in the 70s, which included this song, surprisingly still found on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/hlSsffF2xhA

Apparently a boomer is a type of kangaroo.

Edit: But if you are a boomer of the non-kangaroo sort, you probably aren't really middle aged...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1084 on: 21 November, 2019, 03:49:47 pm »
...when a name you and your friends made up for a laugh at school is now a real name of a real, famous – okay, known to a niche – person.
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2019/nov/21/portraits-salon-des-refuses-rejected-taylor-wessing-prize-in-pictures

It's Jimothy. I do like the double pun of Ché-Loui.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1085 on: 21 November, 2019, 04:20:59 pm »
1. When you make a noise like Monica Selles hitting a ball every time you get up.

2. When you know what Monica Selles sounded like.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1086 on: 21 November, 2019, 04:23:39 pm »
1. When you make a noise like Monica Selles hitting a ball every time you get up.

3. When you know how Monica Seles spelled her surname  ;)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1087 on: 21 November, 2019, 04:41:43 pm »
When the orthopaedic surgeons get reluctant to hack your bones up, because they aren't sure they'll stick back together again.   :-\

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1088 on: 21 November, 2019, 04:57:13 pm »

3. When you know how Monica Seles spelled her surname  ;)

:thumbsup:  Right enough. I used to have a colleague called Sellès; maybe his spelling sorta leaked through the myelin.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1089 on: 21 November, 2019, 05:01:12 pm »
When the orthopaedic surgeons get reluctant to hack your bones up, because they aren't sure they'll stick back together again.   :-\

BTDT but there wasn't an option since the bone was already broken.  All the same the ortho hacker took a somewhat sadistic pleasure in telling me that my diabetic bones probably wouldn't knit, and kept it up at every visit until - surprise - it did.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1090 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:25:59 pm »
How about this... Your teenage offsprung has got into rap and plays you recent stuff. Hmmm. So far so normal. So you show him where it all began, play him Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel and so on. So far so dad. But he gets into the 80s rap and is now playing you stuff from 'your' era. Oh generation mix ups! This is his latest: https://youtu.be/phOW-CZJWT0 "The intro is a bit weird" he says.

If he starts dressing in baggy trackies and a gold chain, I might have to say it's gone too far...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1091 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:53:24 pm »
You spend the evening grovelling around in a wintry loft looking for the login details of long ago (17 and 21 yrs) deferred occupational pensions to see how many groats you may be able to cobble together in your dotage.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1092 on: 19 December, 2019, 07:25:34 am »
Work Christmas do. One of my managers is talking about plans for his 30th birthday next year.
He's not too sure what he's going to do as his dad will be celebrating his 60th and they might do something together.

I was 60 this year.  :-\
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #1093 on: 19 December, 2019, 08:41:52 am »
Someone's leaving do. You should go. But the bars in the wrong direction. You'll have to put up and take down the Brompton. It's raining. It's a bar. It's Christmas. You'll have to shout to be heard. You won't hear anything. You were only going for one. Anyway. The hoards, oh, the roiling, rampant hoards of festive Vikings.

So I 'forgot' and pointed my bike homeward.

(Got soaked and suffered an outbreak of terminal headwind as karma.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1094 on: 19 December, 2019, 09:26:23 am »
When your coevals start having prostate problems.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #1095 on: 20 December, 2019, 08:42:16 pm »
How about this... Your teenage offsprung has got into rap and plays you recent stuff. Hmmm. So far so normal. So you show him where it all began, play him Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel and so on. So far so dad. But he gets into the 80s rap and is now playing you stuff from 'your' era. Oh generation mix ups! This is his latest: https://youtu.be/phOW-CZJWT0 "The intro is a bit weird" he says.

If he starts dressing in baggy trackies and a gold chain, I might have to say it's gone too far...

you read the above and realise that you don't have teenagers any more, they're in their 20s.
well, I just feel old, not just middle aged
acid house ftw (or not)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #1096 on: 20 December, 2019, 08:49:56 pm »
....and realise that you don't have teenagers any more, they're in their 20s....

...and when you notice that those ex-teenagers have a couple of offspring who are in their 20s, you begin to realise that you're not at all middle-aged!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1097 on: 20 December, 2019, 08:55:46 pm »
Some of my primary school classmates now have 40 year old offspring...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1098 on: 20 December, 2019, 09:09:20 pm »

you read the above and realise that you don't have teenagers any more, they're in their 20s.
well, I just feel old, not just middle aged
acid house ftw (or not)
Massive Attack and Portishead today. And I've just calculated that Dummy came out almost half my life ago. I'm not sure it feels it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1099 on: 20 December, 2019, 09:10:42 pm »
Today I described a paper-based procedure, with lots of stapling receipts and such like, as "20th century". "Remember when that sounded modern?" came the reply.