Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 198731 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #1325 on: 11 December, 2022, 12:51:39 am »
I recently came across a gootube video of a youngen who had found the secret to a reliable wifi connection for gaming.

His secret?

An ethernet cable...

Ah, you mean a WiFi cable.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1326 on: 11 December, 2022, 05:18:40 am »
Is there a linguistic term for the effect where words lose their technical meanings as they become part of everyday vocabulary?  'Digital' is a prime example, but 'FM' probably qualifies.

The next one to fall victim to this seems to be 'WiFi', which is losing its IEEE 802.11 implication, to become a generic term for wireless internet access (no longer distinct from cellular connections), or possibly even internet connectivity in general (the perpetrators likely being unaware of wired networking).

I recently came across a gootube video of a youngen who had found the secret to a reliable wifi connection for gaming.

His secret?

An ethernet cable...

J
Interesting, I found that the best Internet at work is to be founf on the WiFi and not the cable, 20mbps vs 2...

I suspect the cabling predates cat 5

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1327 on: 11 December, 2022, 02:20:56 pm »
Is there a linguistic term for the effect where words lose their technical meanings as they become part of everyday vocabulary?  'Digital' is a prime example, but 'FM' probably qualifies.

The next one to fall victim to this seems to be 'WiFi', which is losing its IEEE 802.11 implication, to become a generic term for wireless internet access (no longer distinct from cellular connections), or possibly even internet connectivity in general (the perpetrators likely being unaware of wired networking).

His secret?

An ethernet cable...

J
Interesting, I found that the best Internet at work is to be founf on the WiFi and not the cable, 20mbps vs 2...

I suspect the cabling predates cat 5

Older Ethernet (that would run on cat3 or coax) could still manage 10Mbps, so it's likely there's another bottleneck beyond just old wiring. Of course those technologies had the same sort of scalability problems as wirless, in that everything had to share a single medium (resulting in collisions when two stations try to transmit at once), rather than directing packets to specific destinations as modern switches do.

The WiFi infrastructure's going to be newer than that, and hopefully not operating under quite the same constraints.  It's easier to run a decent cable to a couple of access points than every computer.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1328 on: 11 December, 2022, 02:45:19 pm »
I had the same issue, Teams was always dropping out in the office. This was rectified when I disconnected the LAN cable.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1329 on: 11 December, 2022, 02:59:08 pm »
This is like when your cellular connection became more reliable than random people's WiFi, isn't it?

Teams merely uses flaky networking as a convenient excuse for its day-to-day crapness.

« Reply #1330 on: 11 December, 2022, 03:22:52 pm »
I had the same issue, Teams was always dropping out in the office. This was rectified when I disconnected the LAN cable.

Not just Teams specific, but some software struggles if you have both Ethernet and Wi-Fi network adapters connected at the same time.  Iirc Teams has an issue where it continually asks you to re validate in this situation.  Disabling either adapter will usually solve it (as will pulling the LAN cable which has pretty much the same effect).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1331 on: 11 December, 2022, 03:27:50 pm »
We used to be told to turn wifi off when in the office adn connected to adocking station to avoid that, doesn't seem to be an issue these days though
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1332 on: 12 December, 2022, 09:09:35 pm »
When your pepper grinder needs refilling, eventually get round to buying some peppercorns but then can't find said grinder. I've looked everywhere, I'm sure I have. Even looked in cupboards that I haven't opened in months. This was irritating me earlier but I have calmed down now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1333 on: 12 December, 2022, 09:51:17 pm »
You probably put it somewhere unusual to remind you to buy peppercorns...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1334 on: 12 December, 2022, 09:51:59 pm »
It's probably right in front of you.

« Reply #1335 on: 12 December, 2022, 10:07:17 pm »

Have you checked your pockets?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1336 on: 12 December, 2022, 10:49:53 pm »
Have you checked your left hand?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1337 on: 12 December, 2022, 10:53:21 pm »
When your pepper grinder needs refilling, eventually get round to buying some peppercorns but then can't find said grinder. I've looked everywhere, I'm sure I have. Even looked in cupboards that I haven't opened in months. This was irritating me earlier but I have calmed down now.

I did the opposite. I bought a new pepper mill. Then got home and realised I have no peppercorns to go inside...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1338 on: 12 December, 2022, 11:04:53 pm »
I bet you put it with the trombone mouthpiece.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1339 on: 13 December, 2022, 12:35:21 am »

Have you checked your pockets?

The only thing in my pockets is the valve cap that I put in my pocket to remind me to put on the mountain bike two days ago...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1340 on: 13 December, 2022, 01:00:28 am »
Fort Larrington had more boxes, bags and jars of peppercorns than was seemly when the Prof and I did a big clearout last summer.  I think she half-inched most of 'em.  Meanwhile, my pepper grinder became empty, peppercorns had I none, a fresh supply was purchased and put in the cupboard…

…next to the barely-touched jar of peppercorns already in the cupboard wot I'd searched at least twice while muttering “I'm sure I saw peppercorns in here only last week!”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1341 on: 14 December, 2022, 09:11:22 pm »
Thanks for your concern guys and you'll be pleased to know that the peppermill is found. It was in the right cupboard but not the right shelf. I looked at it many times but didn't register that that was what I was searching for. Doh!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1342 on: 15 December, 2022, 02:53:33 pm »
Nae worry, laddie. I couldn't find the snow shovel this morning because it was upside-down.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1343 on: 15 December, 2022, 04:34:30 pm »
I couldn't find the snow shovel this morning because it was behind a pile of bikes, and not loafing about in the roof supports where I was looking for it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1344 on: 15 December, 2022, 04:45:09 pm »
I couldn't not find the snow shovel because I don't have a snow shovel.  But if I did, it would undoubtedly have been under a pile of snow.  Which I also do not have[1].

[1] I expect the baby elephant could help with this, at sufficiently low ambient temperatures.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1345 on: 15 December, 2022, 05:15:24 pm »
Baby elephants do not like low temperatures. This is the other reason I don't have a baby elephant.

The reason I don't have a snow shovel is that living in Brizzle, it would be more useful to have a shovel for drizzle.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1346 on: 17 December, 2022, 01:52:58 am »
Nae worry, laddie. I couldn't find the snow shovel this morning because it was upside-down.

I once couldn't find my bike leathers because I'd already put them on. It wasn't until I tried running upstairs - to see if I'd absentmindedly put them somewhere untoward - and I felt the resistance inherent in trying to run upstairs in a pair of armoured leather trousers, that I became aware of their whereabouts.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1347 on: 17 December, 2022, 09:55:19 am »

I once couldn't find my bike leathers because I'd already put them on. It wasn't until I tried running upstairs - to see if I'd absentmindedly put them somewhere untoward - and I felt the resistance inherent in trying to run upstairs in a pair of armoured leather trousers, that I became aware of their whereabouts.

I once put on my knee-warmers then once outside decided it was too cold for them, went back inside & put bib tights on over them. That made for phunny pedalling.

« Reply #1348 on: 17 December, 2022, 02:25:19 pm »
Longs over knee warmers is SOP for me for winter cycling.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1349 on: 17 December, 2022, 02:29:30 pm »
Longs over knee warmers is SOP for me for winter cycling.

Yebbut with Windstopper tights it doubles up the elastic you're pushing against every stroke.  It also doubles up the thickness of cloth behind your knee.