Author Topic: Sporcle quiz  (Read 6747 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Sporcle quiz
« Reply #25 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:53:21 am »
5 correct. I didn't agree with their answers.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 01 August, 2018, 09:31:05 pm »
https://www.sporcle.com/games/goc3/erase-europe-by-capital-no-skips

That is rather good, and addictive. I got 100% eventually, but it must have taken 6 or 7 tries. I kept getting my Vaduz mixed up with my Valetta.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #27 on: 01 August, 2018, 11:20:27 pm »
It's also about the best station from which to get straight out into the country for lovely rides into Suffolk. It also has a branch line.
And it's the closest station to where "I broke my Brain" on the way round to Colchester.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #28 on: 02 August, 2018, 08:44:55 am »
http://www.sporcle.com/games/RoyalewithCheese/capitals_aphabetical

Whether fatigue, alcohol (I have had only one pint today), age or a mixture, I scored a mere 73 on this one. There must have been at least a dozen that I knew that I knew once, but just couldn't recall, and another couple I spelled wrong.

I'll try that one again.

I got 70, 35% being quoted that the average score is 60% - oh really?  methinks that's as fast as some can look them up

I got 83 on trying that again. There are a few I couldn't remember the spelling for - Mongolia's capital seems to have changed its spelling quite a bit since I learned it! Some of them have changed their capital cities altogether (everyone knows Lagos is the capital of Nigeria  :P) so I have no chance of remembering the new ones.

I can sometimes recall the capitals of "new" countries like the bits of former Yugoslavia because a lot of them hosted important chess tournaments in years gone by.
I got 105.  I'm glad that Sri Lanka autofilled when I typed in 'Colombo'.  I'm kicking myself about quite a few of those.

« Reply #29 on: 05 September, 2018, 01:20:08 pm »
Did it again today and got 155.

« Reply #30 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:36:18 pm »
Did it again today and got 176...  Only kicking myself over Kampala.  Yes, I need to get out more.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #31 on: 25 October, 2018, 09:06:43 pm »
https://www.sporcle.com/games/RobFitz/absent-europe

That's quite tough in only 2 minutes. I managed 100% with 2 seconds left...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #32 on: 15 November, 2018, 09:17:27 pm »
https://www.sporcle.com/games/goc3/clickable-chess-moves-knight-2-moves

Right up my street, that one. There's a pretty straightforward formula for this but even so actually clicking on 27 squares in 1 minutes without making any mistakes isn't easy.

My score: 100% at the first attempt with 2 seconds left.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #33 on: 01 December, 2018, 10:26:46 pm »
https://www.sporcle.com/games/hockeystix3/crossword-whiteout

That's an annoying one. It's been set up incorrectly. There are only 165 letters to find yet it tells you it's out of 195. When you have finished the crossword there's nothing left but to give up or let the time tick away.

It seems the average score for that is only 37%. I didn't think it was particularly hard so I don't know where people went wrong.

« Reply #34 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:57:48 pm »
That's an annoying one. It's been set up incorrectly. There are only 165 letters to find yet it tells you it's out of 195. When you have finished the crossword there's nothing left but to give up or let the time tick away.

You have to click the words on the right hand side too to make them disappear to get the full 195.

From the How To Play bit: "•A word list is provided - click words once used."
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #35 on: 13 February, 2019, 02:33:57 pm »
https://www.sporcle.com/games/themightymoosh/weakest-world

That's a very annoying quiz. in my book, there is no such continent as Oceania. It's a figment of George Orwell's imagination.

It would appear that the USAnians consider it a Thing. That's not the first time they have been wrong. I note that Wikipedia describes it as a region.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 13 February, 2019, 06:44:27 pm »
Perhaps not a geological continent but generally considered one in human geography terms.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 14 February, 2019, 02:20:43 pm »
It's considered as a geological continent because bits of for eg Papua-New Guinea are on the same continental plate.  This is important if you are a mountaineer seeking to climb the Seven Summits and want to know whether you should stroll up Mount Kosciuszko in half an hour from the nearest car park or spend a couple of weeks trekking through the jungle to climb Puncak Jaya.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #38 on: 02 May, 2020, 03:01:37 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.