Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 147722 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
[HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start
« on: 31 May, 2015, 12:17:15 am »
Has this attempt been mentioned before?

http://www.ayearinthesaddle.com

(title changed so I can remember how to spell Kajsa )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: womens record
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2015, 06:29:55 am »
Go Kajsa!

And Go Steve, Go Kurt, Go Miles!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2015, 10:31:00 am »
I doubt that she'll do it, given the Guinness requirements, even with the low-ish overall total.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:29:55 am »
She has been mentioned before. Doubt was expressed as to her understanding of the difficulties involved; she's only done short-distance events before and not on consecutive days.

Shame we don't have an endless pot of money as I'm sure there are a few women on YACF who (removed from the constraints of having to make a living) could knock out over 30k in a year.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:26:10 am »
She seems determined, but her lack of time exercising (let alone doing long distances) would seem (at face value) to put her at a disadvantage.  Her "training" seems to be focussed on intense, short events (albeit iron man triathlons are not easy) rather than the type of endurance events that will provide a solid foundation.  My experience is that the type of fitness needed for endurance events is very different to shorter "race" type events.

I wonder if she has heard of Audax UK - I suspect the discipline and very specific physical requirements of a series of audax rides would help her in the long run by building out from her more high intensity exercise.

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2015, 11:36:33 am »
Has she given up work to do it?

If she has, I'm very envious. I would bloody love to have a year off work while people paid for me to ride my bike. I wouldn't want to take on the mileage TG is taking on, that's just outrageous as you can't do anything else, there's no time, I couldn't mentally get close to it, (nor would I want to!!) but 30,000 miles with no job to me seems pretty easy, a very nice life actually!! I did over 24,000 in 2012 with a job that has long hours.

Good luck to her, I hope she has a great year.

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2015, 01:13:37 pm »
She's heard of audax, but never done one.

I'm sure she knows about fitness. I'm pretty sure she isn't really aware of the psychological challenge of riding for long hours, day after day.

Mind you, the marker is so low she could ride 100miles a day six days a week and break the current record.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hillbilly

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2015, 07:38:18 pm »
I'm sure she'd be more than welcome if she decided to enter an audax event or two.  100 miles a day is pretty much a 200km audax cut short, so would appear a good match to what she is hoping to achieve.

One of the advantages of AUK is also that it uses roads less travelled, which might be useful when she starts to plan her routes (unless she has in mind to do a "Miles" and focus on the same route, with the odd variation thrown in for variety

No doubt she'll have thought a lot of this through.  Dreams only get you so far.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2015, 07:53:44 pm »
reading between the lines on her website:
- yes, she plans to give up work.
- she's looking to follow the Teethgrinder model; some sponsorship plus lots of "hosts" to provide dinner-bed-n-breakfast.

100 miles a day should indeed be a piece of pi$$ with her current background (assuming no job!).

I'd also point out that an iron-man is well into "Audax" definitions of long-distance. It's about 180km riding PLUS a marathon, PLUS a long swim. If you can do that, 300km on a bike in a day is very doable!

p.s. if LC is up for this, I pledge to buy her at least 1 lunch ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:02:33 pm »
Way to go, jolly good news.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2015, 09:31:56 am »
Radio interview with Kajsa

She explains all.

« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2015, 10:16:22 am »
Any news how she is doing?
 ;Dto

« Reply #12 on: 27 September, 2015, 09:27:32 am »
Looks like she has sponsorship from Specsavers now.

http://www.ayearinthesaddle.com

« Reply #13 on: 23 December, 2015, 10:45:35 pm »
bump, she was on local news last night, i work in Lincoln, so whatever their version of Look North is (East Midlands Today maybe?)

apparently her mum has retired and will be accompanying with the aid of a motor home and she will go to Europe during the attempt

learning from Kurt?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 23 December, 2015, 10:46:56 pm »
She'll need to ride faster than she is doing now.

« Reply #15 on: 24 December, 2015, 09:48:09 am »
It must have been about someone else? Said it started January 1st 2016

I've looked on iPlayer but the episode isn't available

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 24 December, 2015, 10:51:25 am »
The average speeds and distances that she's put up this year aren't particularly impressive and she has been complaining about the weather restricting her riding during the mildest December seen for decades.

« Reply #17 on: 24 December, 2015, 11:23:43 am »
There  is a link to the BBC clip on Kajsa's website

It's a recording of the actual TV, so quality not great. It is definitely Kajsa starting Jan 1st 2016

http://www.ayearinthesaddle.com/#!social-media/c1kkv

https://www.facebook.com/10153856303728969/videos/10153901898163969

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #18 on: 24 December, 2015, 08:33:26 pm »
Well I know how to pronounce her name now  :o

« Reply #19 on: 26 December, 2015, 08:46:47 am »
Well, I for one wish her the best of luck. Despite Mister Positive up there's comments, I think she is looking pretty well prepared and has a stonkingly positive attitude. Can't wait to start following Kajsa's progress.

Anyone else think she deserves more than just the one thread with ~20 posts...?

hillbilly

« Reply #20 on: 26 December, 2015, 08:59:19 am »
I hope she achieves her dream. Will be interesting seeing her year unfold.

I think AUK could have made a bigger fuss about a woman attempting a long distance record. I guess it is easier to lavish attention on a middle aged man who encapsulates the stereotypes about Randonneurs.

« Reply #21 on: 26 December, 2015, 09:13:37 am »
I think that's more about Steve being 'one of us'. We all know him, have ridden with him, consider him a mate.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22 on: 26 December, 2015, 09:19:34 am »
I think this subforum needs renaming.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 26 December, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »
I think that's more about Steve being 'one of us'. We all know him, have ridden with him, consider him a mate.
Also 100mpd is ridiculously soft compared to what Steve is attempting. It just isnt anywhere near as exciting.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #24 on: 26 December, 2015, 02:24:34 pm »
Also 100mpd is ridiculously soft compared to what Steve is attempting. It just isnt anywhere near as exciting.

so what womens target mileage would make it exciting?