Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 147732 times)

Re: womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start
« Reply #700 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:12:25 pm »
What a year! Obviously hard work but the videos etc made it seem so much fun! / made it so much fun for those following. A huge inspiration. Well done Kajsa and Kajsa's Mum!! 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #701 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:22:18 pm »
And now Kajsa has more time to post on the forum! :D
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #702 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:24:37 pm »
Looks like she's found something to keep herself busy:  http://www.sweatpledge.com/

« Reply #703 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:45:58 pm »
I think it is an excellent idea. I've signed up for the mailing list and I have a goal or two in mind.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #704 on: 05 January, 2017, 03:44:20 pm »
Another stunning achievement and I enjoyed this one a bit more, I wasn't worried about whether the participant might go so far as to cause themselves permanent harm. But really I think the video updates, she's funny and they almost made the cycling itself a side issue. There're only so many times I can gasp at mileage figures but I can be constantly entertained by clever and funny video diaries.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #705 on: 14 January, 2017, 01:09:40 pm »
Kajsa is giving a talk in Nottingham on 11th March, if it's anything like as entertaining as her social media has been it'll be well worth the tenner ticket price.  Tickets went on sale today, I don't know the size of the venue but there were 55 showing available when I booked mine.

http://www.ayearinthesaddle.com/copy-of-events

« Reply #706 on: 16 January, 2017, 03:24:46 pm »
And she has today received official confirmation of her Guinness World record of 52, 025.09 km in a year.   :D

https://twitter.com/yearinthesaddle/status/820954738359418881
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #707 on: 16 January, 2017, 03:26:29 pm »
Brilliant news!
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #708 on: 16 January, 2017, 04:33:14 pm »
Fantastic :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Phil W

« Reply #709 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:53:12 pm »
Kajsa is giving a talk in Nottingham on 11th March, if it's anything like as entertaining as her social media has been it'll be well worth the tenner ticket price.  Tickets went on sale today, I don't know the size of the venue but there were 55 showing available when I booked mine.

Half the tickets now sold

« Reply #710 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:33:39 pm »

Half the tickets now sold

On twitter she was down to single figures left to sell.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #711 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:46:07 pm »
And she has today received official confirmation of her Guinness World record of 52, 025.09 km in a year.   :D

https://twitter.com/yearinthesaddle/status/820954738359418881

Excellent news!

I feel my little topic has run it's marvellous course - I shall delete it as soon as I find the right button.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #712 on: 16 January, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »
Fabulous achievement.   

I believe that we have two of those tickets for the Nottingham session but must check that.

« Reply #713 on: 26 January, 2017, 02:35:28 pm »
There's an interview* with Kajsa on the latest Cycling Podcast. Skip towards the end if you have no interest in cyclocross.

* Well, it was edited to sound as if it was just Kajsa doing the talking.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #714 on: 08 May, 2017, 02:27:33 pm »
Excellent talk from Kajsa at Long Itch, together with an hour of questions, and loads more questions afterwards.

She almost agreed to join yacf ;) ;D

It appears she will hold this record in perpetuity, as it has now been 'rested' by GWR, and isn't even listed on the website >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #715 on: 08 May, 2017, 02:34:16 pm »
Guinness messed Kajsa around during the attempt and now afterwards.   Not exactly professional nor respectful behaviour in my opinion. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #716 on: 08 May, 2017, 02:37:16 pm »
Not.
At.
All.

Considering she said that part of what gave her the idea was the joy of reading the book as a kid, to beggar around (even before the start, though more since) is disgraceful.
Getting there...

« Reply #717 on: 08 May, 2017, 03:00:16 pm »
After what Guinness did to Mike, I lost all respect for them as an organisation. They are an utter joke.

I know they were always a bit arbitrary, but they can't even stick to their own rules.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #718 on: 08 May, 2017, 07:38:17 pm »
It appears she will hold this record in perpetuity, as it has now been 'rested' by GWR, and isn't even listed on the website >:(

I wonder if they explained this to Kajsa, when she had the discussions with them after Kurt's UMCA record was ratified, and the obvious implications regarding Amanda's attempt that this would happen?

If not, Guinness should be ashamed.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #719 on: 09 May, 2017, 09:44:14 am »
I did think at the time it would mean that, if Kajsa set a new record, then there would never be an opportunity to beat it under those rules.  It's the business about not really acknowledging it that rankles.  Not in the book, OK.  There are an awful lot of Official GWR records, and a limited amount of space in the book, but I do think they should all be credited on the website.
Getting there...

« Reply #720 on: 09 May, 2017, 09:50:25 am »
After what Guinness did to Mike, I lost all respect for them as an organisation. They are an utter joke.

I know they were always a bit arbitrary, but they can't even stick to their own rules.

Here are two of the reasons why I dislike the Guinness records industry.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #721 on: 09 May, 2017, 10:13:32 am »
Well, yes, that's a given.
Getting there...

« Reply #722 on: 09 May, 2017, 12:06:36 pm »

I wonder if they explained this to Kajsa, when she had the discussions with them after Kurt's UMCA record was ratified, and the obvious implications regarding Amanda's attempt that this would happen?

If not, Guinness should be ashamed.

No.  Kajsa only found out recently when her record disappeared without trace.   She had to call them and enquire as to why.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #723 on: 18 October, 2017, 10:04:25 am »
Kajsa reports that she is doing a TEDx Talk.  Should be interesting.
Getting there...

Re: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start
« Reply #724 on: 26 November, 2019, 09:03:31 pm »
She's now got a new Youtube channel and Twitter account with her triathlete pal Jane Scott under the name Type2Twins.

Latest vids include an interview with Emily Chappell and winter cycling advice (of varying levels of seriousness).

:thumbsup: