Author Topic: Fun tandem ride for daughter number one  (Read 4860 times)

Karen Sutton

Fun tandem ride for daughter number one
« on: 22 July, 2008, 09:26:35 pm »
Daughter 1 (aged 20- almost a non cyclist) had to collect daughter 2 (aged 11- a cyclist) from Girl Guides this evening.  She took the usual taxi...our tandem trike.

Daughter 2 refused to allow big sister to captain the beast on the return journey.  So daughter 1 was stoker...with eyes closed all the way home.   He he. ;D

Re: Fun tandem ride for daughter number one
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:32:51 pm »
 :) I'd love to see pictures of that!
scottclark.photoshelter.com

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:22:14 am »
Cool! ;D
Getting there...

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:44:25 pm »
Great stuff.
How's the tandem with the diddy wheels?

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:47:10 pm »
Will daughter no. 2 ever be stoker again? None of the squablings will let me pilot the tandem after several scary incidents at the tandem games.  ::-)

Karen Sutton

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:42:02 pm »
Great stuff.
How's the tandem with the diddy wheels?

It's in the shed.  It didn't go with us to the Birthday Rides.  I didn't get much time to familiarise myself with it before we went as it arrived so much later than we hoped.

I'd practised folding it and on the morning of departure I loaded it with panniers and decided to ride it round the block without my stoker to see how it handled when loaded.  There was a problem with the SRAM hub gear...it was slipping.  We had only an hour before train departure.  I had to weigh up whether I could try to fix it (getting the user manual out and trouble shooting) then still have time to get to the station and fold it up before boarding the train.  I decided going for a week's holiday on a new bike with problems from the outset was a bad idea.  So the front panniers went on Liz's bike, the rear ones on mine, I found some 26" and 700c inner tubes and we went to the station in plenty of time to catch the train.  We got back at 4.15pm today.  It was a great week.

Tomorrow I'll get the tandem out and try and sort it out.

Karen Sutton

« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:43:20 pm »
Will daughter no. 2 ever be stoker again? None of the squablings will let me pilot the tandem after several scary incidents at the tandem games.  ::-)

She'll be stoker with me, but not with big sister...not ever ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:57:16 pm »
Photos! Is it a recumbent tandem trike? I is after one.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Elleigh

« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:59:01 pm »
That's a lovely story :)

Karen Sutton

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:51:01 pm »
Photos! Is it a recumbent tandem trike? I is after one.

No, it's a Longstaff upright tandem trike, in racing green.  The new tandem is a Bike Friday Twosday, also green.

I will try to take some photos of them both this week.   I have a lovely quiet week off.....except for going to London Thur/Fri to see Avenue Q (celebrating Katie's 21st)!

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2008, 11:01:54 pm »
Excellent - had us in stitches!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2008, 11:07:51 pm »
Brilliant.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #12 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:23:50 pm »
That Longstaff Tandem Trike is a thing of beauty.

Pictures needed!  :thumbsup:

Karen Sutton

« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:01:35 pm »
That Longstaff Tandem Trike is a thing of beauty.

Pictures needed!  :thumbsup:

I don't have a photo of the both on it (yet), but Katie and I were looking at the photographs taken at the funeral in March.  ( Elizabeth and I went on the Trike).  Here are some.  I was struck by the difference between the cyclists and the other people/relatives in attendance.  Mike wanted it to be a happy occasion.  I don't think that was appreciated by everyone else, although the cyclists did their best.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:22:21 pm »
What a beautiful machine!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: 30 September, 2010, 03:25:17 pm »
Haha.  Oh dear, I'd almost completely forgotten this one.  I'm not sure how, since it was utterly terrifying.  I remember sitting at the kitchen table afterwards nursing a mug of hot tea and swearing I'd never get on a tandem again.

The ride to pick her up, solo, in the pouring rain, was even more interesting, of course.  Having never ridden a trike before, let alone a tandem-trike... it was a steep learning curve!  I only nearly fell off once, though I did have to dismount every time I wanted to turn a corner.

In the end, I did get on a tandem again - damerell's, a couple of months ago.  I've done nearly 200k with him since then (over two rides, and without closing my eyes once, I hasten to add!)

Might offer to take Elizabeth out for a ride when I go back up to Stockport in a couple of weeks; see how long it takes for her to run away screaming :)

« Reply #16 on: 30 September, 2010, 04:03:03 pm »
The ride to pick her up, solo, in the pouring rain, was even more interesting, of course.  Having never ridden a trike before, let alone a tandem-trike... it was a steep learning curve!  I only nearly fell off once, though I did have to dismount every time I wanted to turn a corner.

Now, I'm not a trike rider myself, but that is seriously impressive and gutsy.  I'm sure those on here with trikes will corroborate what I'm saying. :thumbsup:

Whay not join the Random Tandem Ride on 24 October?

ed_o_brain

« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »
I remember I couldn't even captain that tandem trike. In the end one lap around the block was achieved with Elizabeth running along side holding the handle bars.

Getting tandem lust. It's much fun.

[...riding the tandem is really the only way I miss my ex-stoker]

« Reply #18 on: 30 September, 2010, 06:55:55 pm »
Whay not join the Random Tandem Ride on 24 October?
Alas, I'm otherwise engaged with St John Ambulance stuff on October 24th :(