Author Topic: What is your pet doing right now?*  (Read 210672 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Reply #1100 on: 19 January, 2019, 02:49:48 pm »
Pumpkin brought a dead magpie home last year. Likely already suboptimal tho.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1101 on: 19 January, 2019, 04:34:09 pm »
The Magpies used to tease my childhood cat Tigger. One day one he nearly caught one who responded by doing a pop on him.

ian

« Reply #1102 on: 19 January, 2019, 09:34:42 pm »
They do this thing were one of them will sit on the neighbour's shed roof and wait till Bad Cat charges over there before hopping onto the tree out of reach. The second magpie when then land on the other side of the garage roof. Bad Cat will turn 180 degrees and charge back. Magpie will hop out of reach. The other magpie will land on the shed. Bad Cat will charge. Rinse and repeat.

Then they start getting further apart, so with each turn Bad Cat has to charge a bit further. Magpies have figured out that the defining feature of their felid foe is that they lack stamina, which is a polite way of saying they're lazy little furballs. Eventually, Bad Cat will just end up in the middle of the garden, looking back and forth as the magpies loudly chorus their mockery.

They don't mess with LMC though. That would be suicide as she can accelerate to near c in a fraction of a femtosecond and possesses the sort of claws that would give Wolverine an inferiority complex.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1103 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:17:18 pm »
You should film that  :)

ian

« Reply #1104 on: 23 January, 2019, 06:04:48 pm »
I'm sure my wife has. That and her sitting on the windowsill making stupid chattering noises as she watches the magpies do their magpieing.

Today she's distributing mud around the house. I've really no idea where she's getting it all from. Well, the garden, obviously. Sigh. More paw prints. I picked her up earlier to give her paws a wipe and she let out a big, stinky fart. In hindsight, I stick to wiping up the paw prints.

LMC, on the other hand, just fell out of bed. Her bed is on the sofa in my remote command centre, I guess she'd nudged it right to the end. And over she goes. Not a happy cat. I'm not laughing just in case she goes off on one and kills me.

essexian

« Reply #1105 on: 24 January, 2019, 10:36:50 am »
Kitten Hunting Day 3....

So, Day three of the great Stafford kitten hunt was underway at 6am this morning, slightly later than yesterday when I got up at 5am to put the trap out and guess what.... the LBK (Little Black Kitten) would rather go hungry than get caught, have his/her bits cut off and be taken to a rehoming centre. Sigh.

I can see him/her sitting in the trees at the end of our garden trying to work out how they can get into the trap, have a feed and get out again without getting caught....the vet is happy to wait until 1pm today for us to bring the kitten in before saying its too late.

I have tried all types of food with no luck. Actually, that reminds me, I've not had any breakfast yet! :facepalm:

Perhaps we do "want" another cat...... :-\

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1106 on: 24 January, 2019, 11:45:34 am »
Luna the crazy whippet puppy is currently murdering squeaky squirrels downstairs whilst I work. At least she is currently entertaining herself!

ian

« Reply #1107 on: 24 January, 2019, 06:37:44 pm »
Halfway through an important call, Bad Cat decided the best place to continue her epic struggle for dominance over the fiendish tail was on my desk behind my computer.

There will be some perks to spending a few days a week aboard the orbiting mothership.

essexian

« Reply #1108 on: 25 January, 2019, 03:24:44 pm »
Kitten hunting day 4.

So, up again at 6am to hunt the last stray kitten without any success...it just sits in the garden and laughs at us...not actually laughs, that would be strange and somewhat disturbing, but looks at us in the way only cats can.

So the plan is to try again on Monday...... Tuesday.....Wednesday....Thursday.....

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1109 on: 25 January, 2019, 05:31:05 pm »
At 1600 today I'd agreed to meet Pingu in Brewdog for a beer.
What I was actually doing was trying to get that naughty Pumpkin from off our roof. No idea how she got up there.
Got a beer, eventually...

essexian

« Reply #1110 on: 29 January, 2019, 08:57:13 am »
Kitten Hunting Day 7.....

"95kg Man 1, 2.5kg Kitten 0 After Extra Time"

So, finally, after many many early mornings and late nights trying, I finally managed to catch LBK the semi feral kitten who had been living under next doors shed. And what a battle it was!

Having discovered that cats learn  quickly that heading into a trap like its three sisters had done is not a good idea (although I caught one of the neighbours cats again just as I had done last week), I needed a new catching method so purchased and fitted a new, lockable cat flap on the summer house; the kitten had been used to sleeping in there overnight with its Mum. However, what I didn't realise was that the kitten didn't know how to use a cat flap and no amount of pushing Mummy cat in and out of it was going to encourage him/her to give it a try (there was a cat flap but the door had broken off it so it was basically just a gap in the wall).

Next idea....large net....nope, that won't work: too many trees in the garden. Drugged food....been watching too many cartoons again. Sigh. Harpoon...... er, now you are just being silly.

In the end I decided to block lockable cat flap with a metal box which no one less than Eddie Hall would be able to move and then load the summer house up with food hoping the kitten would go in where upon I could simply wonder in, and it would put its paws up and say it was a fair cop..... Well part of that went okay: the kitten went into the summer house and I was able to lock the door with it inside. Part 1 done.

Part 2 would be to get into the summer house without the kitten escaping....done! And then...grab the kitten.

This is where things started to go wrong. The last thing the kitten wanted was to be caught and put into a carrier so it put up quite a fight resulting in quite a bit of blood being spilt....my blood. I have six cuts to my right hand and two to my left. The kitten was finally overcome and placed into a large cage where it promptly went mental and started throwing cat litter around!  One feed later it had calmed down a little but was still quite upset.

This morning therefore, LBK went off to the vets to be "done" before going to a rescue/rehoming centre this afternoon. Its poor Mum: "Pearl" has been very listless overnight but I suppose she will get used to it with some TLC and best steak.

Finally...just looked at our brand new lockable cat flap. It is now in four pieces.  We once had a 7kg cat who destroyed a locked cat flap but one which is only 4 months old...blimey....wouldn't like to me this cat down a dark alley!

« Reply #1111 on: 29 January, 2019, 03:38:44 pm »
Well this was Sunday afternoon....

Phoebe and the cushion by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1112 on: 29 January, 2019, 05:04:07 pm »
Aw!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1113 on: 02 February, 2019, 01:35:47 am »
Playing cats and mouse.
Blackie brought in live mouse.
Played with it a bit.
Big Tom caught it, crunched and swallowed, leaving little behind.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1114 on: 02 February, 2019, 02:08:17 pm »
And now they're both wondering where the mouse went?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1115 on: 02 February, 2019, 02:19:04 pm »
Blackie searched for it; Big Tom didn't...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1116 on: 04 February, 2019, 05:11:54 pm »
Big Tom was sitting on 'my' bar chair.

I played a YouTube video of miaowing cats which woke him.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1117 on: 05 February, 2019, 10:17:18 am »
Pet is the word and peter is what they are doing, being French dogs. We changed their food to a light variety and they haven't stopped farting since. Got to finish the bag, though. Only 7½ kg to go. <choke><gasp>
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

essexian

« Reply #1118 on: 06 February, 2019, 07:36:25 am »
Last evening Purrdee the kitten played "stringy" with me in the garden.  ;D :thumbsup:

I know that's not much in the scheme of things but as she isn't really used to human/moggy interactions having been born under a shed, it is a step forward.

Of course being a cat she will allow me to feed her three times a day and is happy to sleep in our heated (a radiator and two electric blanket) summer house but things are done on her terms currently. Her mum Pearl, is happily a member of our pride now.

« Reply #1119 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:27:09 am »
Started this morning with pawing all around her food bowl after she'd eaten most of it, presumably in an effort to bury the remainder. Not that unusual in cats apparently, but none of our previous ones had done it. Then there was the slightly more usual diving under the sheets of newspaper we have just inside the cat flap.  And just now she's trying to hide in the airing cupboard for her daily nap.

menthel

« Reply #1120 on: 08 February, 2019, 12:51:04 pm »
Sat in my office attacking a yak milk chew in her bed whilst the hall floor is mopped. Otherwise the mop would be for it. Whippet puppy craziness.

« Reply #1121 on: 12 February, 2019, 08:48:21 am »
Hiding! She hates the window cleaners, but that usually means only a short period under the bed, but our neighbours are having roofing works done, and for some reason this scares her so much that she spent yesterday in the woods at the bottom of the garden - some 30m away! And she's down there again today.

menthel

« Reply #1122 on: 13 February, 2019, 04:28:25 pm »
Being a general arsehole. Destroying things and pissing on the floor. Anyone want a puppy?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1123 on: 18 February, 2019, 11:05:06 am »
Using the stair-stepper:

He's the only one in the house that does.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1124 on: 18 February, 2019, 11:08:54 am »
Being a general arsehole. Destroying things and pissing on the floor. Anyone want a puppy?

Days of horror. We had that with two at once.

One solution:

Well, not really. But in the midst of the turmoil MrsT made me an outsize Forfar bridie as compensation.