Author Topic: Wye Wednesday  (Read 13389 times)

Re: Wye Wednesday
« Reply #25 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:07:47 am »
Thanks to the organisers. It was generally a good day out, after the early icey sections, one of which took me out! After walking over several parts things got better as the temperatures improved, but I took it easy on down hills and corners all day.

I had a nice bit of cake and a coffee at the first control area, at a place in the high street. As others have pointed out, the Railway Cafe was operating at it's usual speed, I've been there several times and even when there are only 5 or 6 of you they are slow, so I too grabed a sticker and got back on the road ASAP.

Apart from some busy roads and surprisingly busy lanes at the end of the ride the course was pretty nice and we were blessed with clear warmish skys and mild wind on the flat sections.

A shame I had to miss out on the pasta at the end, so I could race through the traffic faster than I expected and then freeze on the ferry 'dock' for 20 mins.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
For the controls it would have been helpful to have known that receipts from other shops would have been acceptable which would have avoided the queues.

To clarify: I got my sticker at Hythe, and the popping to Sainsbury's manoeuvre was just for the purpose of getting food. The only reason to queue at the Hythe café would be if you wanted food there. Frankly, I've never been especially impressed with that café, so I didn't think it was worth waiting.

I don't know what the rules are regarding using alternatives to official controls - as a general principle, it's probably fine to get alternative means of validation, although in the case of BRM rides such as this, I would tend to advise doing it by the book (based on long and bitter experience of French bureaucracy).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LMT

« Reply #27 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:19:27 am »
The way I read it, is what is on the Brevet Card. If it's just the name of the town then it's a simple proof of passage. If you want an 'official' control so to speak then it should be listed as a prefix to the town. e.g. Café xyz, Hythe.

FWIW I did not stop at the café in Hythe because as others mentioned the queue was 10 deep when I got there. Went to the café that was next door instead - no queue.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #28 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:36:40 am »

A great route with lots of new sights for me.. not too hilly, not too flat - just Cinderella  ;D

Cinderella?  Does your bike turn into a pumpkin if you get home too late? ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #29 on: 19 February, 2015, 03:14:46 pm »
My first ever ride in Kent, but well worth the trip.

I'm always very nervous about ice and kept my eyes on others a little ahead of me and did a bit of walking!

The queue at Headcorn was massive, so visited the Sainsbury's for a quick receipt and was back on the road within a few minutes.  Paid for it though and was in need of hot food at Hythe.  although there were only three or four in front of me, it seemed to take ages to get served, although having ordered my food, it did arrive quicker than being in the queue!

The large beans on toast set me up for the next long section (63k) to the penultimate control, and with the final section being relatively short, didnt stop for more than a few minutes.  Mistake No.2 as the last few hills just about finished me off.

I dont think the organiser was expecting the amount of entries that he got. I asked at the finish and was informed that 86 had set off.  Incredible for a mid-week event.  I'm guessing plenty took a day off from work.

Does Kent County Council not spend any money on road maintenance? Only Buckinghamshire seems to have worse roads.  Some of the lanes were very busy with traffic but worth it for some of the views especially near to Wye.

citoyen

« Reply #30 on: 19 February, 2015, 03:32:11 pm »
Does Kent County Council not spend any money on road maintenance?

ROFL! KCC? Maintenance? Spending money? That's a good one.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #31 on: 19 February, 2015, 04:48:07 pm »
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #32 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »
An interesting ride through unfamiliar terrain. The Disc Trucker was reassuring on the many crappy lanes, but its weight made itself felt on the climbs on the return from Hythe.  Some stunning old houses along the way.

Does anyone know if the Elliptigo rider made it?  We talked at the Headcorn control. He seemed to be having navigation problems. And was wearing shorts (!)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #33 on: 20 February, 2015, 12:18:12 am »

A great route with lots of new sights for me.. not too hilly, not too flat - just Cinderella  ;D

Cinderella?  Does your bike turn into a pumpkin if you get home too late? ;)

OMG Man of Steel... I got my fairy tales mixed up..  I meant Little Red Riding Hood..  You know, porridge too hot, porridge too cold and porridge just right.
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

caerau

« Reply #34 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:42:13 am »
 ;D   :facepalm: ;D

I still like the pumpkin hypothesis.  Goldilocks dude, or was it Aladdin..? ;)

Alexander Turner

• Enough is plenty. Good enough will do.
« Reply #35 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:43:49 am »
What a great day. The weather was perfect. The route was very forgiving. Took plenty of pictures along the way. See if you can spot your backside amongst the the pics I got during the stretch to the first control. https://plus.google.com/photos/112657399193905448018/albums/6117826464768371569

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:23:05 am »
See if you can spot your backside amongst the the pics I got during the stretch to the first control.

I was going to say that rules me out, since I started at the back of the field, but you appear to have captured me arriving at the start (2nd pic). I don't remember you taking that!

Just seen the timestamp on your finish pic... Crikey. You must have been going along at a fair old lick.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #37 on: 20 February, 2015, 03:24:22 pm »
What a great day. The weather was perfect. The route was very forgiving. Took plenty of pictures along the way. See if you can spot your backside amongst the the pics I got during the stretch to the first control. https://plus.google.com/photos/112657399193905448018/albums/6117826464768371569

I'm the 'red dresser' in picture 13....  trying hard not to crash into the barriers whilst being aware that you were snapping away !!!   :o

lots of happy memories triggered for me by your delightful pics - thank you  :thumbsup:
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #38 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:59:41 pm »
Great ride on Wednesday, my first completed 200 of the year, far better weather than the edition 4 years ago, but much more ice in the morning.  Great turnout, but not surprised given it'a a PBP year, maybe will revisit in 4 years time...

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #39 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:22:49 pm »
Excellent day out. This was the only calender 200 in the southeast in February!!! I'd do this every year if it was an option.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #40 on: 22 February, 2015, 04:32:03 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyable day out, especially after things had warmed up a little and I could relax - thanks very much to Tom and his band of helpers. I'd also be keen to ride this every year if it ran.

« Reply #41 on: 27 February, 2015, 11:53:21 am »
This was my First ever Audax
Throughly enjoyed it despite a front mech issue near the Bluebell Services not letting me change to the small front ring so hiked part of tha last climbs.
As a participant in the FNRttC's it was Good when the dark came down and the lights went on bringing back good memories

Just found this website

Looking forward to a few more Audax's this year and thanks to Tom for organising a great event.

caerau

« Reply #42 on: 27 February, 2015, 11:59:53 am »
Congratulations Nigel - the first one is always the greatest achievement.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #43 on: 27 February, 2015, 12:02:02 pm »
Congratulations Nigel - the first one is always the greatest achievement.  :thumbsup:

Thanks
These seem better than the Organised Sportives I've done in the past think I've found another new cycling outlet.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #44 on: 27 February, 2015, 12:04:35 pm »
Sportives? SPORTIVES?
Splutters into coffee cup.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #45 on: 20 March, 2015, 11:42:00 am »

Nice pix, Alex. I crop up (frontside!) in !0 & 11. (hi-viz gloves)

skål

Andy

Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #46 on: 06 October, 2015, 11:12:38 am »
Is there a Wye Wednesday planned for 2016? I can't see it in the planner. I would have liked to have done this ride :)

(can always do it as a perm?)

« Reply #47 on: 06 October, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »
AIUI this event only happens in PBP years.

« Reply #48 on: 06 October, 2015, 12:38:36 pm »
AIUI this event only happens in PBP years.

Pity! I'll just download the gpx and do it myself :)  :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #49 on: 06 October, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »
It's for people who can't do a 200k PBP qualifier at the weekend. F'r instance, Feline did it in 2011 as it was the only 200k she could get to without messing up shift rotas etc.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.