Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452593 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #225 on: 17 January, 2015, 10:36:39 pm »
Agreed on the motorised backup  -  a comment on Facebook about Thursday's ride:
...had to stop early because me night bike was messed up while on the rack.

...and on yesterday's ride:
3 Bike - 3 Flats

paul851

« Reply #226 on: 17 January, 2015, 10:48:27 pm »
This is posted on Alicia Snyders FB page , she's Kurt's crew chief.

hillbilly

« Reply #227 on: 17 January, 2015, 10:51:08 pm »
where is the "don't come a knockin while the van's a rockin" sticker?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #228 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:33:05 am »
Hasn't moved for 25 minutes. Just over 200 miles on the tracker
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #229 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:36:30 am »
Looks like Tarzan may have bedded down for the night at just over 200miles.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #230 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:42:15 am »

although all within the rules, but it does look a bit unfair - perfect weather, flat terrain, selection of bikes, food at hand, moral support and no luggage to carry. totally different experience to what Steve is having here in uk.

« Reply #231 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:24:52 am »
Tarzans offical distance for today = 200.1
27 miles less than Steve and the first day that Steve has "beaten" him since he started.
I think this will be neck and neck for the rest of the year. Fascinating!!
Respect and huge chapeau to both.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #232 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:59:42 am »
One thing Kurt has to deal with that I really hope Steve doesn't encounter: Alligators by (or even on) the road. !!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1563407523900955&set=vb.1549550211953353&type=2&theater

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #233 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:44:16 am »
A slower day yesterday (headwinds and traffic lights) but still 200 miles covered.

From FB

Paid for yesterdays tailwinds with some headwinds today. The ride in Big Cypress National Park was great with Alicia Snyder have way to much fun playing with the Gators. There are way to many shopping malls in Southwest Florida - with stop lights in front of all of them.

« Reply #234 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:47:15 am »

Big elevation too - 619ft.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #235 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:37:25 am »

although all within the rules, but it does look a bit unfair - perfect weather, flat terrain, selection of bikes, food at hand, moral support and no luggage to carry. totally different experience to what Steve is having here in uk.

This is a world record, so you're allowed to do it anywhere in the world.  If you want good weather, go to where the good weather is!  French and Australian riders held the record before Godwin, so I don't see there's any moral capital to be gained from doing it in Britain.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #236 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:23:56 pm »
I thought Steve's only concern was with beating Tommy Godwin's year record. Any competition from others was a side-show, as far as he was concerned.
Is that right? That beating Godwin's record is not only his primary goal, but that he won't be bothered if having done so, he loses it again a week later?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #237 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:26:31 pm »
It is defintely not an attitude unique to Britain.

Across the world sportsfans judge their heroes on all sorts of attributes other than the raw results. It can be about style (on and off the pitch!).

Some love a passionate clueless tactician. Some love the boring-but-effective robots. Some value how their heroes play the game.
Anquetil and Poulidor being the obvious example of attitude more popular than success.
To a lesser extent, Bartali and Coppi. Lots of others, but those are the most obvious.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #238 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:27:30 pm »

Across the world sportsfans judge their heroes on all sorts of attributes other than the raw results. It can be about style (on and off the pitch!).

Some love a passionate clueless tactician. Some love the boring-but-effective robots. Some value how their heroes play the game.
Anquetil and Poulidor being the obvious example of attitude more popular than success.
To a lesser extent, Bartali and Coppi. Lots of others, but those are the most obvious.
Jens Voigt
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #239 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:28:21 pm »

slipstreaming monkey

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #240 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:29:54 pm »

Jens Voigt
Of course! Though he doesn't have an obvious (more successful, less popular) rival. Possibly the very best example of attitude over achievement though.

red marley

« Reply #241 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:53:29 pm »
slipstreaming monkey

Any evidence he's riding behind the van rather than in front of it? Certainly the sign suggests the van will slipstreaming Kurt rather than the other way around.

paul851

« Reply #242 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:14:13 pm »
This video Link shows how his crew chief tracks him during the day ,doesn't sound like she's trailing him .

« Reply #243 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:32:35 pm »
From a comment on Strava under Tarzan's Friday ride it looks like he is already riding his 'bent for around 20 miles each day, presumably in preparation for longer stretches later on. I guess it also means he has motorised backup.

So I see!
Doesn't look as though he's had a lot of experience on one either.
Look at that road !
Garry Broad

« Reply #244 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:36:25 pm »
slipstreaming monkey

Well, he talks highly of you too, but can you imagine what it might be like to try and sit behind a van all day, and not see what's in front of you?
Can't we give this guy a break until there's reason to knock?
Garry Broad

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #245 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:41:44 pm »
Can't we give this guy a break until there's reason to knock?

Aye to that!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #246 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:49:25 pm »
I used to motorpace quite a bit when I raced on the track. Looking at the back of a vehicle isn't that much of a hardship.

A UMCA bloke (Secrest?) broke Oppy's 24hr motorpaced record (set behind a motorbike on a velodrome) by sitting behind a HGV on a motor racing circuit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #247 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:56:06 pm »
I used to motorpace quite a bit when I raced on the track. Looking at the back of a vehicle isn't that much of a hardship.

A UMCA bloke (Secrest?) broke Oppy's 24hr motorpaced record (set behind a motorbike on a velodrome) by sitting behind a HGV on a motor racing circuit.

I was thinking more in terms of not being able to see other road users ahead - traffic looking to turn in or out at junctions, hazards & traffic lights etc.
Garry Broad

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #248 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:57:39 pm »
Riding behind a van on a road with other traffic is a lot different to riding behind a motorbike on a track (I used to train with Ralph Diggs at Halesowen many years ago)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #249 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:57:43 pm »
That is the job of the driver. A tap of the horn to signal to the rider that something might develop.

I raced on the track and motorpaced behind my coach's car on the road.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...