Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452619 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #725 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:36:53 pm »
I don't think Teethgrinder's approach is about purity so much as simplicity.  Trains, planes and automobiles all add complexity and - crucially - uncertainty that he'd rather not have to deal with, which seems like a perfectly valid decision to me.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to sacrifice a headwind for a couple of hours more quality sleep.

ETA: Crosspost with citoyen

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #726 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:40:25 pm »
Complexity, uncertainty... and not forgetting cost, which is a significant factor for Steve as we know from his restrictive catering budget.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #727 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »
I think they're both riding in the style they're familiar with - it might look like a disadvantage to Teethgrinder to have to ride in grim British weather, but he's close to home, riding roads and routes he knows, returning to home, knowing the limits and where to push it. I don't think that's necessarily a disadvantage.

The simplicity of TG'e approach, and the fact that he's ridden in this way for years, makes it a perfect fit for him.

I do love the grassroots feel of it, too, but I couldn't imagine him riding any other way.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #728 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:28:32 pm »
I see Tarzan has (seemingly) finished for the day with the tracker on 134 miles. That would put Steve and him both on about 380 miles each for the two days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #729 on: 30 January, 2015, 12:10:49 am »
I think they're both riding in the style they're familiar with - it might look like a disadvantage to Teethgrinder to have to ride in grim British weather, but he's close to home, riding roads and routes he knows, returning to home, knowing the limits and where to push it. I don't think that's necessarily a disadvantage.

The simplicity of TG'e approach, and the fact that he's ridden in this way for years, makes it a perfect fit for him.

I do love the grassroots feel of it, too, but I couldn't imagine him riding any other way.

Yes. He's done it for years and years and years, obviously not to this magnitude, but he's been chipping away at the endurance block for decades. He's got an intimate knowledge of how his mind and body work with the sport, and all that history is coming into play now.

He's a completely different animal to me. I'd never go anywhere near what he does. I don't have the interest nor the motivation. But nevertheless, I do find what's going on here really quite captivating and inspirational. And to be inspired by anybody, [for me it's both these riders actually], doesn't mean you just copy what they're doing, such inspiration should always be a springboard to go off and do your own thing.
Garry Broad

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #730 on: 30 January, 2015, 12:48:31 am »
Another bike broken, from his FB page "Franken bike is now dead. Rear triangle cracked."

simonp

« Reply #731 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:32:31 am »
Is that the 'bent?

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #732 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:35:40 am »
I saw a "Franken bike repaired" message a few days ago after the rear derailleur broke and was repaired. "Franken bike" normally implies use of MTB parts on road bike, IME. (EDIT: yes, Oaky confirmed it's that bike back here)

Anyway, it was this bike:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1567764140131960&set=vb.1549550211953353&type=2&theater
so not the 'bent.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #733 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:47:16 am »
IanG - I don't think it's been trimmed very well. From 164 to 173km (approximately) his heart rate falls to 70bpm, and his speed increases to 90km/h...

Ok, see what your saying - he may have gone 9km in the van and then realised 'shit, I didn't turn off the GPS' then stopped to do it so the rest of the transfer doesn't show in the data, but there was 9km that should have been removed aswell.

The problem is, just turning off the Garmin is not enough. You also have to 'reset' (or 'save') the track and start a new one over. Otherwise it will upload to stava as one big track with a gap in the middle (when it was off) and strava "helpfully" connects the dots to fill in the gap. (How they've not fixed that yet is beyond me. another of the reasons I'm slightly skeptical of the decision to use strava as the Source of Truth for this challenge).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #734 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:48:13 am »
Another bike broken, from his FB page "Franken bike is now dead. Rear triangle cracked."

"Jon Laye: What are you doing to these bikes. I know several carbon frames with tens of thousands of miles and never saw one break

Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel: This triangle was previous broken in the same spot -the carbon repair gave out. I also think it has been slightly broken or flexing for a couple of day which cause the derailer to get caught in the spokes."

simonp

« Reply #735 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:57:29 am »
Carbon repair? Rather him than me!

« Reply #736 on: 30 January, 2015, 04:37:32 am »

If a carbon repair is done properly, the frame is as good as new.
Check out:-

Carbonbikesolutions.co.uk

He mends frames for BC amongst others. He will look at the break and tell you straight away if its mendable.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #737 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:49:19 am »

It might be beyond the realms of liquid metal...

H

« Reply #738 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:58:34 am »
IanG - I don't think it's been trimmed very well. From 164 to 173km (approximately) his heart rate falls to 70bpm, and his speed increases to 90km/h...

Ok, see what your saying - he may have gone 9km in the van and then realised 'shit, I didn't turn off the GPS' then stopped to do it so the rest of the transfer doesn't show in the data, but there was 9km that should have been removed aswell.

Probably depends. When I switch off the GPS and take the train home the small bit from the railway station home starts as a new track on my Etrex.

The problem is, just turning off the Garmin is not enough. You also have to 'reset' (or 'save') the track and start a new one over. Otherwise it will upload to stava as one big track with a gap in the middle (when it was off) and strava "helpfully" connects the dots to fill in the gap. (How they've not fixed that yet is beyond me. another of the reasons I'm slightly skeptical of the decision to use strava as the Source of Truth for this challenge).

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #739 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:13:18 am »

Exactly.

I can't imagine it working any other way but then again, it is only January.

H

« Reply #740 on: 30 January, 2015, 09:56:22 am »

If a carbon repair is done properly, the frame is as good as new.
Check out:-

Carbonbikesolutions.co.uk

He mends frames for BC amongst others. He will look at the break and tell you straight away if its mendable.

agreed, nothing wrong with repaired carbon frames, I've done 10,000+km on a repaired Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #741 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:11:16 pm »

There's an eTrex bug[1] that 'helpfully' connects the dots too (messing up the trip odometer on the unit, as well as the recorded track), so it's not just Strava.

[1] Unless you save the track, the first trackpoint after switch-on is erroneously recorded as the previous location, so you effectively travel the straight-line distance in the first two trackpoints.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #742 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:34:03 pm »

But I'm thinking more about climbing, when it's basically weight vs power.

What's interesting that it's subjectively easier to work at a higher power output (assuming that's what the heartrate is reflecting) in a more upright position.  Not sure if that's psychological (ie. that I'm trying to maintain a habitual speed and cadence in spite of greater power losses) or biomechanical.  Which is why it'll be interesting to see how Kurt gets on.

I think you breathe more efficiently when upright.
Singers mostly perform standing up.

If you have a heavy belly, it must be lifted with every breath whilst lying down.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #743 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:32:06 pm »

But I'm thinking more about climbing, when it's basically weight vs power.

What's interesting that it's subjectively easier to work at a higher power output (assuming that's what the heartrate is reflecting) in a more upright position.  Not sure if that's psychological (ie. that I'm trying to maintain a habitual speed and cadence in spite of greater power losses) or biomechanical.  Which is why it'll be interesting to see how Kurt gets on.

I think you breathe more efficiently when upright.
Singers mostly perform standing up.

If you have a heavy belly, it must be lifted with every breath whilst lying down.
As a singer I breathe out (in a careful tense steady sort of way) and relax to breathe in, and yes you need to be upright to work this effectively, although sitting up will also work.  But then we had a voice session once when we sang crawling on all fours, a sort of pre paleo vision.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #744 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:36:49 pm »
I think it's cardiovascular rather than breathing.  While an upright riding position is certainly good for breathing, a laid-back one is also better than a typical bike-riding crouch.

(I don't think my belly is particularly heavy, I carry my lard on my arse.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #745 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:38:48 pm »
At least the belly is free when you are on all fours.

Lying flat on your back increases the work of breathing.

The anaesthetists/intensivists in this parish will know more.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #746 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »
A few years ago Mrs. Wow and I witnessed a performance of Cosi fan Tutte in which the woman playing Despina sung an aria whilst tangled up in a deck chair.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #747 on: 30 January, 2015, 03:56:14 pm »
How on earth did you two get the deckchair into the theatre?
It is simpler than it looks.

hillbilly

« Reply #748 on: 30 January, 2015, 04:07:04 pm »
At least the belly is free when you are on all fours.

Lying flat on your back increases the work of breathing.

The anaesthetists/intensivists in this parish will know more.

Should this be in NSFW?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #749 on: 30 January, 2015, 05:59:49 pm »
Tarzan appears to be swinging round in small circles today - possibly he doesn't want to stray too far from the nearest bike shop :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime