Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 451832 times)

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1250 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:59:51 am »
Agree with the above. Great way to keep up with Kurt's progress.

And Facebook is far from crap. You make it how you want it to be.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1251 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:02:32 am »
I'll stick with Facebook is crap. YMMV
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1252 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:17:26 pm »
I'll stick with Facebook is crap. YMMV

Faecebook.

"Post your toilet photos."

« Reply #1253 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:49:59 pm »
I think Facebook works well for a linear, 'single themed' event log such as the Tarzan's effort, but otherwise is generally too random and chaotic for it's own good...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1254 on: 19 February, 2015, 01:16:47 pm »
From the article linked upthread:

"Abraham’s attempt at the record is a little harder to follow, as his Facebook page is not as active as Searvogel’s. "

He should come visit here, we seem to know what what cafe or hotel buffet breakfast he is at at anytime.
Yup. there are more Fun Facts here in a week than on Tarzan's FB feed all year.

Facebook is a crap medium. Period! You can still put good content on there - if Tarzan put all his videos on a USB stick, to be passed round every interested cyclist, would THAT become a  "good" technology to use?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1255 on: 19 February, 2015, 02:06:18 pm »
Tarzan appears to be heading for Key West today :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1256 on: 19 February, 2015, 02:23:23 pm »
..... and if he gets a pedalo back across the bay he'll have drawn a parrots head with his tracklog.

Leo

« Reply #1257 on: 19 February, 2015, 04:21:12 pm »
I wonder how breezy it is on all those bridges between the Keys?

« Reply #1258 on: 19 February, 2015, 04:27:23 pm »

Looks like he's dealing with a +25mph crosswind at the moment. http://hint.fm/wind/

« Reply #1259 on: 19 February, 2015, 04:29:56 pm »

Looks like he's dealing with a +25mph crosswind at the moment. http://hint.fm/wind/

Mmm...I wouldn't fancy that!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1260 on: 19 February, 2015, 04:31:10 pm »
IIRC he said a couple days ago there was bad weather forecast in the north of the state so he was heading south.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1261 on: 19 February, 2015, 04:46:45 pm »
IIRC he said a couple days ago there was bad weather forecast in the north of the state so he was heading south.

Yes, I saw that. I'd class 25mph crosswinds as bad weather - especially on a bridge!! :o

« Reply #1262 on: 19 February, 2015, 04:48:52 pm »

Hmmm, 128 miles from Homestead (where he started) to Key West, that's a long return trip even if he doesn't get all the way back to Homestead.
Leo

« Reply #1263 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:28:06 pm »
He's well on his way back now.

« Reply #1264 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:14:19 pm »
He's well on his way back now.

Looks like he's flying again. 175 miles on the tracker in less than 10 hours - but he's still 7200 km from Marsh Gibbon!

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #1265 on: 20 February, 2015, 04:02:56 am »
Kurt is currently on F/B on the "Ultracycling" page re his beer at lunchtime

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117819688260926/?fref=nf

He's asking for the rules to be modified to allow alcohol.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #1266 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:25:00 am »
Kurt is currently on F/B on the "Ultracycling" page re his beer at lunchtime

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117819688260926/?fref=nf

He's asking for the rules to be modified to allow alcohol.

Not having a Facebook account, I can't read that page. Has he been threatened with DQ? I think that would be most unfair. Hopefully the rule will get modified, though a lunchtime beer doesn't seem to be wise!

Robert

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1267 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:35:22 am »
He's asking for the rules to be changed under Rule 22 (which allows in-competition rule changes) to allow alcohol. Trouble is, Rule 22 specifically says it can't be applied retrospectively. This may be a can of worms he wishes he hadn't opened.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1268 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:36:39 am »
There's a discussion with Drew Clark and him. Kurt is saying that it wasn't made clear to him that the HMR'R rules are a subset of the rules governing all record attempts. There's a discussion about emails sent/received regards the rules, with both taking a different view.

Not sure there is a DQ option here:

21 For a rules violation, the Records Chairman may impose a mileage reduction penalty of ten miles for each infraction.

so that's pretty tough  ::-)

then there is this option

22 UMCA reserves to modify the rules during the attempt. Reasonable notification will be sent to riders involved in an active attempt. A new rule may not be made retroactive in effect.

Then there is

14 If the bike/rider must be transported, the tracking devices must be turned off during transport.

;)

It's a marathon, not a sprint and from what I can see the only rule that allows real advantage is the recumbent one.
It is simpler than it looks.

TimC

« Reply #1269 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:47:35 am »
Oh, obviously no advantage has been gained. It's just depends on how officious UCMA wants to be about the rules. A ten-mile penalty for his lunchtime beer would be bearable, as long as they agreed that the participants can have an off-the-bike beer when they feel the need. I hope they do; it seems just bloody petty to say they (and their teams) can't have a beer for a year!

hillbilly

« Reply #1270 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:57:09 am »
I can understand the UMCA position in litigious America.  I suspect Kurt will have to suck it up.

More importantly, he did another solid ride yesterday.  Bet it was purty cycling down to key west. Deserving of a beer. Oh...

« Reply #1271 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:59:21 am »
IMO, the cyclist is in contravention when blood alcohol exceeds the local legal limit for driving a motorised vehicle on the road.
What that is in Florida, I am not sure.
If it’s zero, he’s stuffed. If it’s same as England, he’s OK.

TBH, he’s a fool to himself for talking about it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1272 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:00:32 am »
Oh, obviously no advantage has been gained. It's just depends on how officious UCMA wants to be about the rules. A ten-mile penalty for his lunchtime beer would be bearable, as long as they agreed that the participants can have an off-the-bike beer when they feel the need. I hope they do; it seems just bloody petty to say they (and their teams) can't have a beer for a year!

Petty it may seem, but the rules were in place before the riders started.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1273 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:08:33 am »
In my further opinion, the ‘No alcohol’ rule was imposed to stop crews carrying a barrel of beer in a camper van to Yorkshire.

TimC

« Reply #1274 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:14:41 am »

Petty it may seem, but the rules were in place before the riders started.
Which is why I said this is a can of worms he may wish he hadn't opened. Especially as the conversation had already been had among both participants and spectators a couple of weeks back, so he should have known that alcohol was banned - though I'd be interested to know what was in the email conversation he referred to on Facebook when he said the question had been specifically asked.