Author Topic: Dave Pountney, aka "DP"  (Read 7511 times)

Dave Pountney, aka "DP"
« on: 14 November, 2019, 09:54:01 am »
RIP DP

I have received sad news that Dave Pountney, known as DP to many cyclists, passed away on Tuesday following a lengthy period of bladder cancer.   

Dan Howard, Chair of Cycling UK, circulated the following statement:

"Hi everyone,   It’s with sadness that I’m emailing you to let you know that Dave Pountney died in hospital yesterday morning. Charlotte and Claire, his sister, were with him and he died peacefully. Dave supported and influenced so many of us and he’ll be really missed.   We’ll circulate funeral details when they’re known.   Best wishes,   Dan"

DP was instrumental in the creation of the Kidderminster Killer and Elenith audaxes.  He was a stalwart within the Kidderminster CTC as well as being an accomplished audax and mileater.  Several hundred cyclists participated in his audaxes over the years and will remember his great humour at the HQ and within the materials sent to riders along with the friendship, care and attention given to riders.

At a personal level I was honoured to inherit the Kidderminster Killer from DP and by total coincidence, Mark Rigby and I have recently relaunched DP's other flagship, The Elenith in calendar and permanent event forms respectively.

Cycling UK awarded him a Certificate of Merit for cycling accomplishments and the accompanying statement provides a fitting tribute to the great DP.

------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Pountney - Certificate of Merit

Dave Pountney (known to everyone as DP) joined the CTC in 1959 but didn’t really start cycling until approximately 8am on the 10th March 1965. We know this because as well as being an avid cyclist he is also meticulous diary keeper, having logged all of his so far 482,841 miles.

His need to start cycling happened by chance, his mode of transport to work in his younger days was a trustee moped, unfortunately one day the engine fell out on the way back home. Having the “can do” work ethic DP decided to cycle the hilly 14 miles to work and back, it’s been told that that night he crawled upstairs on his hands & knees. This led to the cycling career he is now being recognised for. DP has been on the Kidderminster CTC committee since 1965 and has become a mainstay of the club being on the committee for a continuous 46 years (and still counting), holding positions of Secretary, Treasurer, magazine editor & opening up the club room between September & May for the last 12 years.

Only last year DP retired from organising the well known audax, the Elenith (26 years) & Kidderminster Killer (22 years), two rides which showed DP’s fondness for hills. His other achievements include riding the Paris Brest Paris in 1979, 1983, 1987 & 1991 & many other audax to numerous to mention.

DP has given slide shows at club events, other CTC clubs around the UK and also at the “Birthday Rides”. He has cycled through many countries one of his last being China. This Certificate of Merit would not be complete without acknowledging DP’s inspiration to new & old riders. There are many members today, still cycling through DP’s encouragement & guidance. The sense of achievement he has helped young riders accomplish should not be under estimated, the selfless support in battling a headwind, cycling through 20 hours of rain in the depths of Wales, the sharing of bonk rations (mainly jelly babies) are qualities learnt and taken with you on life’s roller coaster journey.

All-in-all whenever we talk of the Kidderminster CTC we say the initials DP in the same breath.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Re: DP RIP
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2019, 10:02:24 am »
This is devastating news, and saddens me greatly.

He was "A cyclist's cyclist". I had the privilege of being severely tested on some of his events.

He will be missed. Rest in peace Dave.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Dave Pountney, aka "DP"
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2019, 10:50:00 am »
Very sad news, if not unexpected. This was the last photo he posted on flickr some months ago. As he usually posted at least once a day his absence since then was ominous.
Signing Off for a time ...... by Dave, on Flickr
Signing Off for a time ......
….. as I am cashing in quite a few of my lifetimes 'donations' to the NHS :-(

The first time I met Dave was the 1987 Elenith, my first attempt at a 300. The little group I was with finished 2​ 1⁄2 hours out of time and Dave was still there at the scout hall to welcome us back. I rode the Elenith most years after that.

Two years later I rode the first LEL with him (or an increasingly large distance behind him) and later that year I rode the first Kidderminster Killer (although it was called 'Shropshire Lanes' or something). This time I was a victim of hedge clippings (8 punctures before I ran out of tubes and patches) and again I was out of time. When I arrived at the hall a note was pinned to the door "John, come to my house. Dave", but seconds later Dave appeared (on a two-wheeled bike!) and led me to Trikie Towers where he generously put me up for the night.

Our paths often crossed in the intervening decade, and in recent years on flickr. Photography was one of his passions and cyclists of advancing years may remember seeing his slide show 'Kidderminster Capers" (most of which seemed to show Kidderminster CTC crossing deep fords or pushing through deep snow, many of which can be seen here).  In recent years he produced some stunning wildlife photos. The last time saw him was a couple of years ago when he and Charlotte (and their dog Turbo) invited me to lunch when I was passing through Kidderminster. Dave was anticipating reaching 500,000 miles lifetime mileage, but I don't think he quite made it.

RIP Dave

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2019, 11:22:06 am »
RIP DP

The Kidderminster Killer and the Elenith were inspirations at the start of my Audax life.  Beautiful and signature events.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2019, 11:41:16 am »
I am deeply saddened by this news.

It was Dave that influenced me greatly into long distance cycling when he organized the CTC Birmingham & Midland DA 240 in 24 in the late 60's and into the early 70's.  I entered this event in 1972 at the age of 17 and would not have been able to complete the event without Dave's help and encouragement.  When AUK began in 1975 (?) Dave became one of the first members.  I think his membership number was 0075 and I joined not long after and had the number 0077 until my membership expired for a couple of years.

I have many very happy memories of riding with Dave not just in Audax events, but on CTC events and general club riding although I have never been a member of Kidderminster CTC.

RIP Dave, you were one of the very best and will be sadly missed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2019, 12:36:12 pm »
RIP Dave.
Thanks for reviving me with beans on toast at Kidderminster on my first ever 600...

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2019, 01:15:54 pm »
Oh dear.

Very sorry to hear of a truly crap way to check out.

Thanks for all the Eleniths, Dave.  And the jelly-babies at the foot of the Staircase.

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2019, 01:41:46 pm »
Very sad news.

I remember with those nights sleeping over at the scout hut (and later Wolverley) before the Elenith. I will miss the regular updates from 'Trikey Towers'!

Rest in peace Dave, you will be missed.

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2019, 03:14:58 pm »
I have so many fond memories of riding Dave's Audax events.

A really nice man who always had time to stop and chat whenever we met on the road.

Sadly missed by many.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2019, 04:15:46 pm »
Sad news. I only met Dave the once at ‘Trikie Towers’ when I adopted Flash from him, but we kept in touch via email as I updated him on our adventures. He was always very supportive and excited to get our latest news.
I’ve met many people the past year on my trundles who recognised Flash and had fond memories of riding with Dave. He’ll be missed.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2019, 04:48:54 pm »
Very sad news.  Dave was hugely influential on me and I suspect many others.  In my case it's probably no exaggeration to say that it was Dave who inspired me to take up cycling.  Via his inspirational writings in Cycling magazine (now Cycling Weekly) - such as his blow-by-blow of his 1979 PBP ride, and another one of his solo End-to-End (in reverse direction) at 'gold' standard (<80h).

A giant among hardriders.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2019, 05:24:28 pm »
Very sad news, as already said his events were both great and hard , remember dave telling me once on the killer its was nearly flat to the finish-  what flat??

Also arriving into kidderminster on the wcw and receiving TLC from dave and his team.

Rip my friend.

« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2019, 05:35:12 pm »
So sad.  I used to see him at the famous Kidderminster map reading events in the 80s - serious stuff then.  Last year I had a brief exchange with him about the 'old days' - I'd said I'd finished within time the ?first? Elenith in 1986 and he quoted my finish time back at me,saying it was quite good!   That was a wet one, with riders packing or coming back out of time!  Farewell Dave. 

« Reply #13 on: 14 November, 2019, 05:44:45 pm »
We've lost a wonderful gent. RIP David
#makewattsnotwar

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 14 November, 2019, 05:52:22 pm »
RIP Dave, sad news. An inspirational rider and organiser.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 14 November, 2019, 06:23:07 pm »
I rode the Killer and Elenith over a decade ago. Tough but memorable routes and the handmade stamps were pretty cool.

Dave was a famed hardrider with a low-key but no-nonsense attitude. He’ll be missed by those who knew him and rightly so.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16 on: 14 November, 2019, 10:23:30 pm »
Oh no....such sad news to read all of a sudden.

I've had a short Audax career[started 2005] compared to some but together with The Dean, the Elenith was one of the first 300km rides I managed to conquer. And did it a few times from Kidderminster. That first one was was prior to PBP 2007, and he joked about seeing my name 'lit up, in lights'....it was banter, and piss take and a laugh. And it will always stay with me. Great ride. Good memories.

I remember him. Nice guy. And encouraging.
Condolences to family.
RIP
Garry Broad

« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2019, 04:31:24 pm »
Sad indeed.
Dave was a big influence during my early cycling career in the early 80's. He was such a cheery chap, just the sort of person to have on my first 240 just a few months after I started cycling, when I was ready to chuck the bike in a hedge. Although not a member of Kidderminster CTC (! was West Brom) I really enjoyed riding Kiddy events with Dave around. He got me through a few Eleniths and my one and only 600 (WCW '86).  I think there's an awful lot of people who have similar memories.
Such a great guy, such an inspiration, such a loss. :'(
Thoughts to Charlotte & family.

« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:02:48 pm »
He was taking the mick on FB very recently ("I don't know how to use FB, but I've liked this five times").  A genuinely nice fellow and an inspiration both as a rider and an organiser.

« Reply #19 on: 22 November, 2019, 11:00:54 am »
Does anyone know if there are any funeral arrangements yet?

« Reply #20 on: 24 November, 2019, 04:37:10 pm »
Does anyone know if there are any funeral arrangements yet?

Dave’s funeral will be held at Kidderminster Crematorium, Minster Road, Kidderminster on 23 December at 12.30 and afterwards at the Stourport Sports Club, Kingsway. Family flowers only, with donations to Greenpeace.
For those who would like to ride, Kidderminster CTC will be meeting at the Green, Blakebrook, Kidderminster at 11.45am.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #21 on: 24 November, 2019, 06:14:41 pm »
Did 2 or 3 rides in the mid 80s with kidderminster and think that dave was involved. 

Wasn't anywhere fit enough or interested enough to keep on going.  Teenagers.

« Reply #22 on: 26 November, 2019, 05:15:44 pm »
Thank you all for your lovely messages; it's really great to know Dave was so widely respected and will be missed by so many. He loved organising the Elenith and the Killer and was really happy to introduce so many to his favourite cycling area, Mid Wales. You do know that according to Dave, they are only undulating and the last bits were 'flattish'?

Frankly Frankie (Francis?) Please would it be possible to have a digital copy of the picture of me and Dave on the tandem trike; it's the best one I've seen! In hope, my email address is cpountney1@live.co.uk.

Hope to see some of you out on the road, I have dug my bike out and actually rode it yesterday...

Best wishes and happy cycling to you all, Charlotte

« Reply #23 on: 23 December, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »
That was a heart-warming send-off for Dave. The chapel was full to overflowing. Condolences and best wishes to Charlotte and all  the family. 

« Reply #24 on: 23 December, 2019, 11:05:50 pm »
That was a heart-warming send-off for Dave. The chapel was full to overflowing. Condolences and best wishes to Charlotte and all  the family.

As Ian has posted.