Author Topic: Fort William 1000  (Read 20871 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Re: Fort William 1000
« Reply #125 on: 07 July, 2019, 09:50:01 am »
Sorry to hear about your DNF. 18 out of the 25 riders who started are still going at Paisley (702 km).

Andy Corless

« Reply #126 on: 08 July, 2019, 12:51:12 am »
I see a couple already finished on the 1000 just awesome guys !

Andy Corless

« Reply #127 on: 08 July, 2019, 08:52:42 am »
Just waiting for 1 rider to arrive back at Lytham with 2-hours to go to cut off!

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #128 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:01:43 am »
15 riders have finished the inaugural Fort William 1000!

Andy Corless

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #129 on: 08 July, 2019, 12:24:27 pm »
Congrats all!  Wish I could have been there!  Next year.

Andy Corless

« Reply #130 on: 08 July, 2019, 12:39:46 pm »
Next edition of Fort William 1000 set for 2021! Mille Pennines 1000 next July. Also LEJOG 1400. Website links attached below:

http://millepenninesaudax.com/

http://burnleyccevents.com/lejog-26-july-2020/

Andy Corless

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #131 on: 08 July, 2019, 04:02:19 pm »
First 1000 for me, fast start hanging onto aidens cassette until I was dropped near Glasson Dock (I think), lonely for a bit then hung onto second group to Carnforth where they went to Tesco while I went to the truck stop shop.

Set off alone up to Shap where I found Iroromono looking unusually knackered, I then dropped him unintentionally and repeatedly to penrith where it was clear he was coming down with something.

Stopped at petrol station on way into Carlisle so bounced Gretna after seeing the cost of a sandwich, tea at Lockerbie truck stop was a steak pie, chips and token vegetable, more food was needed at Abington and the Noodle bar sorted that.

Rise over to Paisley was quite decent skirting EK though discovered I've a wiring fault in one of my Son connectors which is a bit of a pain when it shorts the light off while cornering... Finished descent with the battery back up glad its a too see one too.

Got in just before 1 which was an hour latter than I'd hoped, Didn't get a great sleep at Paisley and woke with the shakes at my first departure thought of 3ish eventually leaving after breakfast around 5.

Discovered Dumbarton McDonald's is drive thru only at 6am and I wasn't for waiting longer, up gareloch and past the hippies and nukes before the lump over to arrochar, started crossing paths with transalba riders (someone may want to point out to the organisers that it's around not across...)

Struggled up glen Croe on the Main  road and was thankful for the burger van though I wasn't resting for 15 minutes for a Bambi burger so settled for the normal cow sourced meat.

Fast crossing of the Bealach and descent of Glen kinglass, quick stop at the petrol station in inverary to put a sandwich in the bag then hauled myself up the ramp to Loch awe, was really feeling the struggle and heat so ostopped at bonawe shop for ice cream and stuff out the bag on their bench.

Checked the TA tracker to see if any of the riders I know were near by and I appear to have missed Steve Scott by a matter of minutes at Taynuilt. Andy W packed at dunbeag as Rob was about ready to head on just after I arrived, so spoke to them for a bit there, caught the end of the rubbish traffic on the o ich to Fort Bill section as my return was much quieter than outbound, saw a good number of riders returning as I was on my way north.
Although I'd marked Cobbs on the rwgps I couldn't think of anywhere to eat other than McDonald's.

Caught Ballachulish coop so stocked up for the night, another rider who's only extra kit appeared to be a bag full of McChicken Sandwiches caught up with me at the parking area before the study where I'd taken a comfort break.
Rolled into Crianlarich at halfisnigbt and made a beeline for Scotland's Premier audax Hotel, joining another rider for 3 hours.

Loch lomond was a bit boring as was sunrise, rubbish roads in Dumbartonshire
Glad to be in Paisley for once in my life!

Got in at 7 and after breakfast, change and then a snooze set off around half 8, mostly quiet roads for my very slow start up and over the hills only really getting I to it as I set about the climbs to Abington
Thought about stopping at happendon but kept going, on arrival at a ington I wished I'd already eaten, the fast food concessions has queues that would have destroyed what little extra cushion I'd built up so wh smiths had to do.

Spoke to (?)Steve and Raymond about the descent and accidentally lost them early on as I went surface hunting on my way down to the truck stop where I grabbed an ice cream then stood in the queue behind  a truck driver who was trying to explain what he wanted to buy and not doing too well, possibly an indication that the sirloin on the cafe menu would have been fine.

Stopped to lendy pump to a rider on the descent and we stopped at Gretna together, he stuck with me until the heslett climb where a mech failure meant he needed to batter on.

Stopped at the first petrol station in penrith
Then pressed on up Shap where the bus shelter provided a picnic and sleep stop.

Finally over the summit and I'd forgotten how broken up the south side is never Maintaining full on plummet speed though with an abandoned caravan on the road at one point that was maybe not a  bad thing.

Was glad to reach lancaster when it was quiet as I was climbing slower than the glaciers. Got to Carnforth as Steve and Raymond were about to set off but passed them snoozing in a bus shelter some where in the western flat land, hated the final crawl into Lytham as my route was set up for traffic dodging!

Just retracing the route on the train now as we cross Shap and Beattock.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #132 on: 08 July, 2019, 04:18:03 pm »
Brilliant report ! 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #133 on: 08 July, 2019, 04:49:31 pm »
Brilliant report !
It took me from sitting waiting for a cancelled train thru a dash to North Station along the prom until Shap to write that, looking down on the 7076 from the train now.

Also got to decide if I want 10km of undulations home or 7km... The shorter is going to cost a fiver more... Might try begging for a lift!

« Reply #134 on: 08 July, 2019, 05:32:41 pm »
I also made it. My first 1000 and easier than I thought it would be, but still struggled through some bits. Some observations:
 - A82 wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (I left Fort William around 3pm on Saturday), but the cars are spoiling the beauty of Glen Coe.
 - The food and company at the Paisley control were very welcome, but I had difficulty falling asleep there. Therefore opted for a hotel in Erskine on Saturday.
 - Even checked into a hotel on Sunday in Lancaster, because I had enough time. It's strange to arrive at the finish well rested, after a gentle 40km morning spin.
 - The Scots were very friendly, including the drunks at a Glasgow bar were I stopped for a pint on Friday evening. Didn't see any neds high on buckie. I have to come back for the full Scottish experience ;-)

Anyway, great experience and I may be back for Mille Pennines, if I feel up to it...

Phil W

« Reply #135 on: 08 July, 2019, 07:42:54 pm »

Rolled into Crianlarich at halfisnigbt and made a beeline for Scotland's Premier audax Hotel, joining another rider for 3 hours

Good to hear both bunks were being put to use. Best Audax hotel I've ever used.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #136 on: 08 July, 2019, 08:57:38 pm »

Rolled into Crianlarich at halfisnigbt and made a beeline for Scotland's Premier audax Hotel, joining another rider for 3 hours

Both Bunks? There's two sleeping platforms there, capacity dependent on rider size!

Phil W

« Reply #137 on: 08 July, 2019, 09:14:37 pm »

Both Bunks? There's two sleeping platforms there, capacity dependent on rider size!

Exactly, seems to fit the definition fairly closely.

Bunk - A narrow bed built like a shelf into or against a wall.

Bunk can also just be somewhere you bed down for some sleep.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #138 on: 08 July, 2019, 09:32:07 pm »

Exactly, seems to fit the definition fairly closely.

Bunk - A narrow bed built like a shelf into or against a wall.

Bunk can also just be somewhere you bed down for some sleep.

ah just me being pedantic from reading mountain club hut info sheets!

« Reply #139 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:04:31 pm »
A great ride and route, well done to all who completed and truly sorry to hear that some did not. Also, a big thanks to Andy Corless and everyone who contributed on this forum and the IV1200 forum with titbits of local knowledge to full route planning, it all really helped with my own planning. If I can call out one part of the ride as a highlight it would be the ride up and over Glencoe, truly magnificent  :thumbsup:
Hope to see some of you out on the road again soon  :D :D

« Reply #140 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:23:09 pm »
I was a DNS due to losing my wallet on the way to the event. Very grateful to those who lent money to a stranger as I had no credit cards, phone or id (note to self: keep id, cards, money and phone separate in future!)
Went to Paisley on Fri, back to LSA over two days and then back to Holyhead on Monday. Luckily, nobody asked for any ID on the ferry or in Dublin port.
Thanks to Andy for organising and everyone who had kind words, I was not in a good place on Fri morning. Glad I pushed on to Paisley rather than heading home.

I didnt get the names of the people who loaned me the money that allowed me to continue.  If any of you are here, please send me a message so I can personally thank you and pay you back.

« Reply #141 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:40:16 pm »
I didnt get the names of the people who loaned me the money that allowed me to continue.  If any of you are here, please send me a message so I can personally thank you and pay you back.

Prepare your inbox for many DMs! (I kid)

Andy Corless

« Reply #142 on: 12 July, 2019, 04:47:02 pm »
With the dust now settling I'd like to thank all those who entered and took part in the inaugural Fort William 1000 km Audax event that took place last weekend, and congratulations to the 15 successful riders.

This was a 1002 km route, ran over the weekend of 05 - 08 July 2019.

After a rapid start through the Lancashire Fylde, the riders headed north up the A6 into Scotland; passing through Dumfries & Galloway before cutting across South Lanarkshire to a control at Paisley at about 320 km.

Day 2, after crossing the Erskine Bridge, would see the riders heading into the Highlands with a climb over "Rest and be Thankful" on the way to Oban. A main-road run following the A82 followed, offering most riders spectacular views of Ben Nevis and the Great Glen!

The return leg cut out Oban and instead sent the riders from Glen Coe over Rannoch Moor, most of which the riders surprisingly enjoyed, before returning to Paisley.

The final 300+ km was essentially a reverse of the first stage.

Overall, I think the event was a success. The only issue was the control at Paisley; part of which had been sold off only the week previously preventing us from using some of the facilities (most unhelpful)! There were no reportable accidents.

I'd especially like to thank all the helpers at both Paisley and Lytham who put in 101% effort to make the event a success, and without whose help the event would not have been possible including: Helen & Geoff Pearce who helped out at Paisley and Andy Willis who helped out at Lytham.

Once again, congratulations to the 15 successful riders and commiserations to those that didn't make it this time. It's better to try and fail than to not try at all!

Many riders have posted photos and ride reports on Facebook and some of the links are attached below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/audaxuk/

Riders travelled from as far as Wales; Scotland; London; Devon; Ireland and the Netherlands in order to participate.

I'm considering running the event as a X-rated (basic event) next September.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Fort William 1000

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #143 on: 13 July, 2019, 08:42:58 pm »
Back home from a quick break to Loch Tummel, I didn't quite appreciate the touristic nature of the events, I know Andy had indicated some foreign riders were taking part but many of the native riders appeared to be heading into the North of England and Scotland for the first time too.

The main tourist drags are maybe unsurprisingly a bit meh to me but climbing glen coe onto the muir and then to the top of the Black Mount was a highlight, I've only ever done it late afternoon, once reasonably quiet with 2 gears (34/50-14) in pissing rain, once on a blistering Weegie holiday monday in the traffic that brings and once in the middle of december... So a summer late evening assault on it with the light traffic was fantastic.

I got a bit of traffic on the way to Fort Bill and my previously mentioned Glen Croe traffic jam... But other than that it was fantastic, the timing was probably ideal being the 2nd weekend of the Scottish school holidays, and so avoiding the dutch, German and English holidays.

Thanks to Andy for putting the events on,
Helen and Geoff were brilliant at Paisley and Andy W helping out after packing at Dunbeg was brilliant too.

From my route planning thinking the ideal would be if Highland Council would timetable the Camusnagaul ferry fittingly for it being part of the NCN, though going to kinlocheil is an alternative its a fair bit longer. The group accommodation run by the council at the old kinlocheil school would work as a manned control, yes I have ideas brewing it's just whether I'll ever implement them.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #144 on: 14 July, 2019, 09:41:53 pm »

« Reply #145 on: 16 July, 2019, 01:20:02 pm »
Blog post finally written
https://fifeingeejit.blogspot.com/2019/07/fort-william-1000-5th-to-8th-july-2019.html

enjoyed reading that, though can't quite imagine how you manage 1000k! :o

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #146 on: 16 July, 2019, 01:55:02 pm »
https://fifeingeejit.blogspot.com/2019/07/fort-william-1000-5th-to-8th-july-2019.html

Neither can I,
Mentally I split it into 320, 300, 85 and 320.

The RWGPS stats show I was stopped for nearly 21 hours out of 71
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36991953

« Reply #147 on: 16 July, 2019, 02:43:37 pm »

Neither can I,
Mentally I split it into 320, 300, 85 and 320.

The RWGPS stats show I was stopped for nearly 21 hours out of 71
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36991953

Ha don't think that would help me - I've a mental block with 300k's having bailed twice at that distance.

About to ride a 100k on Friday for the first time in a year an a half, should be interesting!  Chapeau though fella, chapeau  :thumbsup: