General Category > On The Road

Is Cycle to Work data a failure ?

(1/9) > >>

maxcherry:

How is the data for cycle to Work collected?
Is it by people who have applied and got told that they can have a bike or is it just by people who have applied.
If people get the bike and then sell it on, is that taken into account?

Looking at Gumtree, Preloved and other sites you can tell (sometimes the ads state) what is a cycle to work bike
most are Halfords, the same company that says it is doing so well from the sceheme.

Is the Cycle to Work success just a lie in order to get green points?

Pickled Onion:
I'm not sure what data you're referring to - is it available on line?

It's not legal to sell the bike until after the end of the hire period and transfer of ownership - until that point the bike is still owned by the scheme operator. Is this what you're implying? I'm sure a few people do, but there doesn't seem to be much scope for making a quick buck by scamming the system, the discount is not big enough.

T3DM:
I'm a crown servant and and I'm not entitled to apply for the ride to work :-[. My dad has one as my mum works for NHS. I think the main benefit is paying in instalments not everyone has the money to go out and buy all singing all dancing bikes especially in today's economy.

Ham:
Not sure what you mean about "Cycle to work is a lie"

The scheme per se is a massive success in that it has put many thousands of bikes out there and helped bolster the creation of a cycling culture. Before the introduction, bike shops were closing left and right, now they are opening again. Sure, not all of that is down to cycle to work scheme, but it is certainly one element of the story if only because the scheme predated this current "surge"

For sure you are going to get some bikes on sale that people are selling before they properly own, you will also see a  number that will have been nicked. A number of committed cyclists have also taken advantage of the scheme to feed the n+1 habit (not me of course, I can stop any time I like. The fact that my employer has a £2.5K limit on the scheme is just ... GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN), that's a valid use of the scheme, too.

davelodwig:

--- Quote from: Ham on 25 May, 2014, 07:50:55 am ---Not sure what you mean about "Cycle to work is a lie"

The scheme per se is a massive success in that it has put many thousands of bikes out there and helped bolster the creation of a cycling culture. Before the introduction, bike shops were closing left and right, now they are opening again. Sure, not all of that is down to cycle to work scheme, but it is certainly one element of the story if only because the scheme predated this current "surge"

For sure you are going to get some bikes on sale that people are selling before they properly own, you will also see a  number that will have been nicked. A number of committed cyclists have also taken advantage of the scheme to feed the n+1 habit (not me of course, I can stop any time I like. The fact that my employer has a £2.5K limit on the scheme is just ... GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN), that's a valid use of the scheme, too.

--- End quote ---

It's certainly driven a cycling culture at my work, the fact we've had to build an additional bigger bike shed to cope says something. Pretty much every new employee ends up getting some sort of bike from the basic to the fancy, and a lot of us are on n+1 (+1+1+1 et al). Currently the limit at my employer is just a tad over 4K and repayable over periods from 12 months to 3 years owing to having a cyclist as our accountant and the company having a credit licence.  Plus we can buy from anywhere we like and they'll let you use a company credit card to buy it. I've worked out the savings and while we now have to pay the vat (which we didn't about 6 years ago) I reckon I save about 20% on the list price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version