Author Topic: RIP Michael Bond  (Read 1111 times)

RIP Michael Bond
« on: 28 June, 2017, 01:59:51 pm »
I'll have a marmalade sandwich and think of South American bears. Thanks for the stories.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: RIP Michael Bond
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2017, 02:16:15 pm »
 :'(  RIP, thanks for the stories.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2017, 03:50:52 pm »
Touching to see that the Paddington statue at the eponymous station is already starting to accumulate not only flowers but also jars of marmalade  :'(

I loved the books as a child. When I was in hospital, aged 4, recovering from major surgery the nurses took them off me because they were worried that I was laughing too much and might tear my stitches. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2017, 06:51:56 pm »
I loved Olga da Polga. RIP Mr Bond.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2017, 09:41:07 pm »
Monsieur Pamplemousse has inspected his last :(

For me, those were if not his best (hard to beat Paddington, after all) then his most enduring creations. For those that didn't know, he was a Francofone and Francophile of extremely long standing, I also have a book of his on France. The Pamplemousse books are adult comedy whodunit, the lead character of which, the said Pamplemousse, is an inspector for "Le Guide" - a fictionalised Michelin-esque publication, nearer Gault Milleau in its aims, who travels france in his 2CV with his Great Dane, Pomme Frites.

ETA: I've just troughed a few of them onto my kindle  ;D :'(

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:08:03 pm »
  For those that didn't know, he was a Francofone and Francophile of extremely long standing,

That explains why the book in which Paddington and the Browns are on holiday in France book is arguably the best in the series.  That's the one the nurses took off me!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?