Author Topic: Tour de France stage timings.  (Read 1086 times)

fuzzy

Tour de France stage timings.
« on: 23 March, 2011, 03:25:28 pm »
Can anyone give me an idea what sort of time the tour usually gets to the Champs Elysee and all the final stage fun starts?

SWMBO is thinking of being in Paris on Sunday 24/7/2011 :thumbsup:

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Re: Tour de France stage timings.
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:31:46 pm »
The tour site www.letour.fr will have approximate timings for the caravan and the riders, but if you want a good viewpoint you will have to get there as early as you can anyway, take your lunch! Sometime in the morning at least.

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:36:43 pm »
I would get there as soon as is practicable.   The atmosphere builds up all day, and if you want to get in the front row on the Champs Elysee, which IMO is the place to be, probably before lunchtime.
The parade of the "Tour Caravan" and all the large logistics vehicles weaving up to the Arc de Triumph should not be missed.

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »
As Rainmaker and Seineseeker say  - get there as early as possible.

I've done it a couple of times and the first time it was just me and my wife, we were at the end of the Champs Elysee where they turn 180 degrees. Great spot right at the front but we got there before 1100 and after 2 pm there was no way to get out and then back in even with the other person saving your space. Definitely a good place to watch from, the final vehicle was a Gendarme van which everyone cheered and encouraged the driver to go faster each time he went round, by the end he had it on two wheels!

The second time four of us went and were able to secure a good spot, again well before lunch and being a bigger group it was easier to get out for food, drink and de-watering.

fuzzy

« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2011, 09:59:36 am »
Thanks folks.

This is what I suspected. We did the 09 Tour Grand Depart and stage 1. Scouted out a good spot on the Friday evening and then undertook the logistics that evening (acquiring good food and reasonable wine to chill as we took a cooler bag). We were on plot by 0930 Saturday morning and managed to bag many a rider on their warm ups, including Cadel Evans who must have ridden the course at least four times. By the time the timed runs started, we were in good company.

Next day we went to Nice and bagged a spot in the grassed and well tended central reservation of the Promenade des Anglaise by about 1000. A good spot as it turned out as he pavement opposite us was heaving when the race came through.

Story here

fuzzy

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:04:09 am »
Flights and hotel booked (airmiles :thumbsup: ).

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2011, 07:50:40 pm »
You'll have a great time.