Author Topic: Seat cushion, back cushion or both?  (Read 1107 times)

Seat cushion, back cushion or both?
« on: 06 March, 2021, 09:20:32 am »
My lower back always hurts these days. It started getting worse a year or so ago and now it's really starting to annoy me. I thought it was maybe a particular bike I was riding, so I stopped riding that one. Made no difference. I thought it was the amount of golf I was playing. Haven't played for for months now due to lockdown and it's made no difference.

I'm guessing it's most likely to be my posture. I do spend a lot of time at my desk. I really don't know how I'm supposed to sit. I'm guessing not slouched back with my feet up on the desk which is a favourite of mine :P

I am aware of exercises - just been looking at the thread on that so will start doing something along those lines, but I think need to get my sitting posture sorted.

Should I get a cushion to sit on such as:

Donut Cushion

Or maybe one for back support like this:

Lumbar Support Cushion

Or push the boat out and get a combo of both:

Seat Cushion and Lumbar Support Pillow

Any Thoughts? Ta.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: Seat cushion, back cushion or both?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2021, 11:44:45 am »
perhaps counter intuitive but I would get some Pilates started first.  I like Vicky https://pilateslive.co.uk/ who is a physio and Pilates instructor who clearly explains her movements.  Having found her in lockdown 1 when I could not get to my class, I found her safe, and sensible.

Once you have got some improvement in your posture and core muscles then you will know better what chair/cushion combo works for you.

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2021, 01:07:36 pm »
Thanks :) Yeah, seeing as I don't actually know how I should be sitting, it might be an idea to find all this sort of stuff out first!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2021, 06:28:21 pm »
Whenever I cut down on my rock climbing for too long they’d be the odd episode of lower back pain.  Exercises that strengthen the back etc and cause you to flex, twist and turn and keep mobile. Don’t spend long periods sitting.  Find exercises for you back for both strength and mobility and flexibility.