Author Topic: PBP + DotWatcher  (Read 2401 times)

PBP + DotWatcher
« on: 30 July, 2019, 03:31:32 pm »
Hi everyone,

Hope prep's going well. I just dropped some big dollars on new bike parts after a trip to the Alps so I'm waiting for that before I take my bike for a few long spins to bed in the parts before the 19th.

I run a website called DotWatcher.cc and I'm looking to cover PBP with the help of some people riding the event (myself included). In the absence of any live tracking, I'm hoping a WhatsApp group with a variety of riders in different waves, riding different bikes and with differing levels of experience will provide a wholesome "dotwatching" platform for people following from the comfort of their armchairs. With the addition of the tracker provided by PBP and our comments/photos/wisdom within the group, someone will write it all up and shed light on the 2019 PBP event.

If anyone if particularly keen on joining the group, please DM me. If I get hundreds of bites on this, I can't accept everyone but I'll do my best to include as many of you as possible: women, men, bicycles, tandems, trikes, recumbents, PBP veterans, newcomers, people from all corners of the world (though I appreciate this is quite a UK-centric forum).

Thanks!
Grace

Re: PBP + DotWatcher
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2019, 03:53:15 am »
Audax Australia is using an opt-in Spotwalla location page https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=212

Spotwalla supports Spots, InReach and iPhone & Android apps so covers most riders

A few riders already acclimatising to the European heat.

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2019, 10:36:30 am »

Here's another Aussie  / PBP blog & tracking link.https://andrewjamesheard.wordpress.com/2019/07/31/4th-pbp-well-see/
I met Andrew whilst down in Australia when riding PAP before Christmas -  his site is well worth a read.
Top bloke & superb recumbent
T.H
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2019, 08:32:41 am »
PBP has offered a tracking service that shows when controls are reached.  It seems to be available again this time.  You just need to know the riders frame plate number.  Usually, people just watch this.

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2019, 02:14:31 pm »
PBP has offered a tracking service that shows when controls are reached.  It seems to be available again this time.  You just need to know the riders frame plate number.  Usually, people just watch this.

I've tried to find a link to that and failed dismally. Anyone found one that works please?
Reine de la Fauche

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2019, 04:20:02 pm »

I've tried to find a link to that and failed dismally. Anyone found one that works please?

I don't think it is up online yet for this time

https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=randonnee&page=suivi_participants

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2019, 05:43:34 pm »
It usually goes online just before the event starts - which can cause panic among home-based watchers as it can also be a little slow in registering every rider's position, but in general it's pretty reliable system and fun for those back home to keep an eye on.  When I rode in 2011 my secretary at work took to sending out twice daily updates to the rest of the company!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?