Author Topic: Not long until the Giro d'Italia!!!  (Read 11842 times)

gonzo

Re: Not long until the Giro d'Italia!!!
« Reply #25 on: 21 May, 2011, 06:16:49 pm »
Interesting to note all the boo-ing as Contador crossed the line today.

« Reply #26 on: 21 May, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »
And the fan dangling a piece of meat on a fishing line in front of him.

« Reply #27 on: 21 May, 2011, 08:58:56 pm »
And the fan dangling a piece of meat on a fishing line in front of him.

It's this sort of thing that will finally force cycling to change.  Once the money realises the consumers fans aren't buying it anymore they will act quickly to bring an end to doping.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #28 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:05:24 pm »

I took my laptop on a culture and eating holiday to Belgium last month (it became very cultured and quite overweight).

The Eurosport offering was completely different from the UK version, with not much cycling...

Could it be that because cycling is so popular in Belgium it's shown on terrestrial channels anyway and therefore Eurosport concentrates on minority sports? Which is why British Eurosport shows so much cycling...

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #29 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:29:15 pm »
Never mind the unseemly behaviour of some of the spectators, what a monster climb !  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #30 on: 21 May, 2011, 11:07:56 pm »
It was chaos today - the organisers left out a climb because they felt (understandably) the descent was too dangerous. I noticed several banners mentioning this climb today - obviously the tifosi were not happy about it. Then due to a protest by fans miffed that the climb had been taken out at short notice, the organisers chopped out 20km at the last minute. The marshalls weren't sure what was happening and at least two riders took a wrong turning.

The rabid fans though, are what sets this race apart from the other two Grand Tours!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #31 on: 22 May, 2011, 08:26:56 am »
It was chaos today - the organisers left out a climb because they felt (understandably) the descent was too dangerous. I noticed several banners mentioning this climb today - obviously the tifosi were not happy about it. Then due to a protest by fans miffed that the climb had been taken out at short notice, the organisers chopped out 20km at the last minute. The marshalls weren't sure what was happening and at least two riders took a wrong turning.

The rabid fans though, are what sets this race apart from the other two Grand Tours!

Contador and Riis were worried that the unsurfaced descent would provide a golden opportunity for their man Nibali to attack.  Witness the way he attacked on the strada bianche last week.  I think the fans were so unhappy because they felt that the organiser had caved into pressure from them. 
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #32 on: 22 May, 2011, 12:40:56 pm »
Any news of the motorbike that turned into a steam engine?

I rather enjoyed the chap with the beef and I'm loving the race all in all.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #33 on: 22 May, 2011, 04:36:24 pm »
Cracking scenery on the Giro today. I've walked up that final climb and the scenery is stunning.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 22 May, 2011, 05:28:43 pm »
Any news of the motorbike that turned into a steam engine?

I rather enjoyed the chap with the beef and I'm loving the race all in all.

he could have bbq-ed that beef on that overheated engine ;D

« Reply #35 on: 22 May, 2011, 06:33:13 pm »

I took my laptop on a culture and eating holiday to Belgium last month (it became very cultured and quite overweight).

The Eurosport offering was completely different from the UK version, with not much cycling...

Could it be that because cycling is so popular in Belgium it's shown on terrestrial channels anyway and therefore Eurosport concentrates on minority sports? Which is why British Eurosport shows so much cycling...

Possibly, although I couldn't find any free-to-air cycling on the 30 or so digital channels on the hotel TV. I did, however, find the Royal Wedding I'd gone there to avoid in four different languages  :sick:

On a more cheering note, French TV showed The Queen with Helen Mirren as Brenda just after the wedding.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #36 on: 22 May, 2011, 06:36:01 pm »
Interesting to note all the boo-ing as Contador crossed the line today.
If you listened carefully, I'm sure they were moo-ing, not boo-ing.

I watched today's stage at Look Mum No Hands in Old St (London). Rounds of applause from the assembled fans and trendies in the caff for the first two riders over the line (neither of whom was the Beefeater).

« Reply #37 on: 22 May, 2011, 06:39:19 pm »

Contador and Riis were worried that the unsurfaced descent would provide a golden opportunity for their man Nibali to attack.  Witness the way he attacked on the strada bianche last week.  I think the fans were so unhappy because they felt that the organiser had caved into pressure from them. 

I saw a film of the descent of Monte Crostis on TV. I'd be happy to ride down there - but not at my usual speed and not with other vehicles near me on the road, even some of the cyclists I know.

I think it was a bit barking to put it on the route in the first place. The organisers are overdoing the 150th anniversary bit IMHO.

« Reply #38 on: 22 May, 2011, 06:42:20 pm »

I suspect the fans were pissed off because they'd looked forward to it for months, decorated their houses and gardens and dragged food, drink, a barbie and possibly a gazebo all the way up there to no avail.

Understandable - unlike the banners calling the riders cowards, just a week after Weylandt died. OTOH I've been impressed by the number of "108" banners and road painting this week.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #39 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:54:37 pm »
Well yesterday I thought the Zoncalan stage was pretty good but today's stage was something else, an absolute epic.  Started watching with 100k to go and didn't use the fast forward even once.  (Apart from the adverts, obviously).  Contador is saying that it was one of the hardest days of his entire career.  Awesome.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #40 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:58:56 pm »
These last two stages would have been awesome were it not for Contador. 

He's under investigation for doping and destroying everyone in sight, 4 minutes clear now.  I just can't take it seriously.  I find it incredible that the UCI are allowing this to happen.  The endgame is inevitable.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #41 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:18:00 am »
He's under investigation for doping and destroying everyone in sight, 4 minutes clear now. 

I can't agree with you that he's destroying everyone in sight,  he looks completely shattered to me.  He had no response to Igor Anton on the Zoncalan and Nibali had him on the ropes.  Sure he's looking good for the first few pedal revs of each attack but then, when you expect to see him pulling away, as often as not the gap is staying the same or even diminishing.  Look at the way that Nibali came back to him on the Zoncalan or Scarponi came back to him yesterday.

What interests me is how much he's going to have left for the Tour - by contrast I sense that Andy Schleck is riding well within himself in California.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #42 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:33:54 am »
In the Tour? Why do you think he is going for the win on the Giro?  ;)

« Reply #43 on: 23 May, 2011, 08:14:29 am »
He's under investigation for doping and destroying everyone in sight, 4 minutes clear now. 

I can't agree with you that he's destroying everyone in sight,  he looks completely shattered to me.  He had no response to Igor Anton on the Zoncalan and Nibali had him on the ropes. 

4:20 lead with 6 stages left, two of them time trials (I think he's a far better TT'er than his nearest rivals) tells a different story.  Igor Anton is nearly 10 minutes down after yesterday - it looks like Contador was canny enough not to respond on the Zoncalon, and left a bit in the tank for yesterday.

Looking at the way Nibali descended though, there are a couple of stages to come where he may be able to put a bit of a dent into the lead on those days.

« Reply #44 on: 23 May, 2011, 08:21:32 am »

I can't agree with you that he's destroying everyone in sight,  he looks completely shattered to me.  He had no response to Igor Anton on the Zoncalan and Nibali had him on the ropes.  Sure he's looking good for the first few pedal revs of each attack but then, when you expect to see him pulling away, as often as not the gap is staying the same or even diminishing.  Look at the way that Nibali came back to him on the Zoncalan or Scarponi came back to him yesterday.

Agreed. Bertie looks a lot less confident and a lot more knackered than I've seen him before.

And if doping is as rife as some people make out, why aren't his rivals taking precautions to avoid him riding away from them?

The doping business doesn't actually take away the excitement of racing for me. I watch pro racing as a soap opera, not a competition - you can't watch just one stage of a Grand Tour or one Spring Classic and know what's going on any more than you can pick up the story of Eastenders from watching one episode.

gonzo

« Reply #45 on: 25 May, 2011, 06:38:03 pm »
I've always enjoyed the Giro because it tends to be far less predictable than le tour precisely because people like Contador aren't entering it at best form. Here's hoping that Contador doesn't get banned from Le Tour and it won't just be Schelck doing a repeat of Contador's dominant performance in the Giro.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #46 on: 25 May, 2011, 07:27:26 pm »
Some sprinter that Visconti - got to hand it to him, he won't be a push over in any race..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #47 on: 26 May, 2011, 11:04:51 am »
Some sprinter that Visconti - got to hand it to him, he won't be a push over in any race..

;D

I thought they should have given him the win for his theatrical oratory when interviewed afterwards.

Anyway, that Italian champion's jersey is very, very cool.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #48 on: 28 May, 2011, 09:54:32 am »
Sounds as if Russel Downing had one of those days at the Giro yesterday

I was pretty lucky really. There was a Rabobank rider immediately before me who overshot the corner, and that meant that I was catapulted sideways. I hit the barrier and then went straight over it and down about 20 metres into the woods. My bike went even further than me but fortunately I hit a tree, which stopped me falling even further.
and
I’m coughing a bit of blood up, which is never a great sign, but I’ll survive.

More here.

Today's stage finishes with a monster climb of the Finestre (10km of asphalt at 9.2% followed by 8km rough track at 9.2%), a quick descent a 9km climb to Sestrieres. He'll do well to survive that given the state he's in, if he starts today.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #49 on: 28 May, 2011, 05:20:12 pm »
Sounds as if Russel Downing had one of those days at the Giro yesterday

Finished in the gruppetto today.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur