Author Topic: Adding Info Control to Existing Track in Basecamp  (Read 1953 times)

Adding Info Control to Existing Track in Basecamp
« on: 14 June, 2017, 11:34:27 pm »
I have a GPX Track for an Audax. Is there a way in Basecamp that I can add a flag so that it will show on the my GPS Display (Etrex 20) when I reach the info control?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Adding Info Control to Existing Track in Basecamp
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2017, 11:42:08 pm »
Just create a waypoint, it doesn't need to be part of the track.  (Though make sure you upload both to the device.)

For bonus points, give it a proximity radius, so the eTrex beeps as you approach it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2017, 03:05:05 pm »
If the waypoint is not part of the track, surely the flag will still be there and your proximity alarm go off whenever you come within the radius on other rides, too?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2017, 03:09:18 pm »
If the waypoint is not part of the track, surely the flag will still be there and your proximity alarm go off whenever you come within the radius on other rides, too?

Of course.  Assuming you leave it on the device.  Same as the track still being there if you don't delete it, really.

My preferred approach is to create a 'list' in Basecamp containing the routes, tracks and waypoints pertaining to a given ride, and then drag-and-drop this to the device in one go.  That results in a single GPX file with all the relevant data, which can be easily deleted later.

ETA: The other thing I do for Audax controls is use a different coloured flag to the useful waypoints I want to keep.  It makes it easy to find and delete them later.

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2017, 02:18:26 pm »
Thanks, makes perfect sense & very simple.
I think I was trying to make things to complicated :facepalm:

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2017, 07:26:53 pm »
That's what I do.  I find it's worth trying to be as precise as possible when placing waypoints.

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2017, 08:11:05 pm »
Thanks for the advise and tips. I did a test run on Sundays club ride and everything worked as described.

Interestingly although I've set my Etrex for metric readings the proximity setting is in fractions of a mile. I tried a variety of different distances for the proximity setting but couldn't decide which was best. Any thoughts?

Can I have a bonus bonus point for realising that if I use the info control question as the waypoint name that is what I will see on the screen to remind me what I'm looking for. So instead of Info 7, I'll name the waypoint IC7 name of pub on R after T.

Also, having plotted the control points accurately, as per Ians instructions, do I need to use some sort of amnesic process or device where this has inadvertently caused me to see the answer to the info control question :-\

« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2017, 08:30:06 pm »
Thanks for the advise and tips. I did a test run on Sundays club ride and everything worked as described.

Interestingly although I've set my Etrex for metric readings the proximity setting is in fractions of a mile. I tried a variety of different distances for the proximity setting but couldn't decide which was best. Any thoughts?

Can I have a bonus bonus point for realising that if I use the info control question as the waypoint name that is what I will see on the screen to remind me what I'm looking for. So instead of Info 7, I'll name the waypoint IC7 name of pub on R after T.

Also, having plotted the control points accurately, as per Ians instructions, do I need to use some sort of amnesic process or device where this has inadvertently caused me to see the answer to the info control question :-\

Proximity distances:  I use 50 or 100m depending on the likely positioning error.

The infos:  you never saw them, right?