Author Topic: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013  (Read 72803 times)

andyp

• Andrew Preston
Re: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013
« Reply #300 on: 05 May, 2013, 08:17:37 pm »
Pictures of most of the riders as the they climbed Portesham hill between 5.30 and 6.30 this evening, here: http://on.fb.me/16IK6iw

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #301 on: 06 May, 2013, 01:14:11 pm »
I've posted a few pictures from the Porkers Corscombe control (10pm to 04.30) here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151594655778913.1073741829.673533912&type=1&l=1b251d4485 , and of the sunrise while we packed up to come home here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151594655778913.1073741829.673533912&type=1&l=1b251d4485. Lovely night for a bike ride.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #302 on: 06 May, 2013, 04:11:30 pm »
More detail later, but just a quick massive thanks to shawn and his amazing team! We have been looked after so so well this weekend.

The ride was hard, the weather glorious (apart from some freezing fog early dawn).

What a series!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hillbilly

« Reply #303 on: 06 May, 2013, 06:21:18 pm »
The Porkers was outstanding, with an epic scale and peerless organisation.  My new favourite 400.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #304 on: 07 May, 2013, 07:54:01 am »
I will do a proper write up later - but a random collection of thoughts are there.

The peleton at the start - felt like a proper boy's own adventure with us all whipping along the lanes two-by-two.
Ice cream on Portland Bill
Stern headwind leading onto Portland Bill
Second control - sat out in the funny stone structure
Fabulous controls - massive thanks must go to everyone involved.  The village hall controls were amazing and we were so we looked after, and sitting outside by the camper van eating bacon sandwiches was brilliant
Cock-up in Corscombe - I got in a right tizz after descending the first left (Hackney Hill) rather than the second - I spent around half an hour trying to find the control (and had missed it by very little - twice!). 
Views - especially at dawn looking down on the freezing fog looking like the sea with little islands of hills - amazing
Freezing fog - it was chilly!
Sunshine a plenty - there are a few pink randonneurs today!
LadyVet on top of the last big hill with Millionaire's shortbread!

Overall, it was an incredible ride - whilst hilly, it never felt gratuitous and offered some exceptional views.  The roads used were very good in general.

I had got quite concerned about how hard it might be (with a number of people saying it is the hardest of the series).  Hard Boiled destroyed me - it was really, really hard with very challenging roads etc.  I was a bit worried as to whether I could handle 400km of that.  Thankfully, a combination of better weather, another month into the season etc., I didn't find it as challenging as the Hard Boiled.  It was a much more rewarding ride with splendid views on offer.

Massive chapeau must go to the select bunch who rode both this and the BC this weekend - good effort indeed.

Again, Shawn and his team have upped the game in delivering a superb experience on a brilliant, brilliant ride.  I am really looking forward to the Brimstone now!

Congrats to several riders on their first 400s (Sharpy and Jordan from Hackney were both on their first ones) and Jonah on being the first to complete the Wessex SR this season (with his ride of the Hellfire in November!!!).
Right! What's next?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #305 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:08:45 am »
Overall, it was an incredible ride - whilst hilly, it never felt gratuitous and offered some exceptional views

Indeed. With this series, you either 'get' the events or you don't.  8)

I had got quite concerned about how hard it might be (with a number of people saying it is the hardest of the series).  Hard Boiled destroyed me - it was really, really hard with very challenging roads etc.  I was a bit worried as to whether I could handle 400km of that.  Thankfully, a combination of better weather, another month into the season etc., I didn't find it as challenging as the Hard Boiled.  It was a much more rewarding ride with splendid views on offer.

Marcus, you were not the only person who felt decimated after the Hardboiled but remember; for many, the Hardboiled would have been the first 'long' ride of the season (possibly the first 300k) and as you said,  the lowest comparative temperature this weekend was around 10 degrees warmer than nearly a month ago but most importantly, you now know what to expect.  :demon:

Each ride of this series has its highlights and in my experience, there are some stages that stick in your mind more than others. The Brimstone/Hellfire is no exception and I see that whilst some stages have changed slightly with different controls, the section down to Exmouth and the section across to Nunney Catch have still maintained their character.  :smug:

H

« Reply #306 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:23:23 am »
Be interested to give some of the perms a go if/when I'm back into Audaxing. My parents live just south of Crewkerne and so I was in Porkers country this weekend just gone (but I was on the A303 going back home by the time you lot were coming anywhere nearby) otherwise I would have been at the roadside shouting HTFU.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Hummers

« Reply #307 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:41:38 am »
I wonder if next year, the Crackpot will make a return visit?

H

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #308 on: 07 May, 2013, 09:43:27 am »
Overall, it was an incredible ride - whilst hilly, it never felt gratuitous and offered some exceptional views

Indeed. With this series, you either 'get' the events or you don't.  8)

Marcus, you were not the only person who felt decimated after the Hardboiled but remember; for many, the Hardboiled would have been the first 'long' ride of the season (possibly the first 300k) and as you said,  the lowest comparative temperature this weekend was around 10 degrees warmer than nearly a month ago but most importantly, you now know what to expect.  :demon:

Each ride of this series has its highlights and in my experience, there are some stages that stick in your mind more than others. The Brimstone/Hellfire is no exception and I see that whilst some stages have changed slightly with different controls, the section down to Exmouth and the section across to Nunney Catch have still maintained their character.  :smug:

H

I am very much looking forward to the Hellfire.  The series is living up to all it's reputations and I think will be the cycling highlight of the year.  Yesterday was amazing - a really great 400.  Although I found the Hard Boiled more challenging (for many of the above reasons), the Porkers was, by no stretch, an easy ride - some of the climbs were very challenging indeed. 

On the question of kill or cure regarding my cold - I have completely lost my voice now - so Porkers is not a great cure for the common cold.  Hopefully I haven't done myself a real mischief and will get better soon!

Right! What's next?

Hillbilly

« Reply #309 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:40:19 pm »
I am also looking forward to the Hellfire.  Is the stench of sulphur in the air?  Or have we eaten too many poached and fried eggs on the weekend just gone by?

My main thought at the moment is that I am glad for its inhabitants that Tor Hole dropped the silent "n".

My secondary thought is to ponder whether to book a train+room before and after the event.  A previous incarnation of me wouldn't have thought to do so, but the experience of the Porkers (where I got the train to and from it, with little ill effects) has made me realise that this is an entirely sensible (albeit more costly) way of experiencing a long weekend of long cycling than blatting down the M3/A31 in my Hillbillymobile.

« Reply #310 on: 07 May, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »
I wonder if next year, the Crackpot will make a return visit?

H

Do you know something we don't? Here's hoping  :D

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #311 on: 07 May, 2013, 01:32:16 pm »
...has made me realise that this is an entirely sensible (albeit more costly) way of experiencing a long weekend of long cycling than blatting down the M3/A31 in my Hillbillymobile.

Very sensible. Its not more costly, if you pre-book advance train tickets - actually works out cheaper than the petrol costs. I only tend to drive on days where there are planned engineering works.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #312 on: 07 May, 2013, 05:24:22 pm »
Right! What's next?

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #313 on: 07 May, 2013, 07:12:36 pm »
Nice report.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #314 on: 07 May, 2013, 07:34:17 pm »
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #315 on: 07 May, 2013, 10:43:52 pm »
we've got a bit of a dual thread thing going on ....so here's my posting from the Porkers thread now complete with photos

Today I am mostly basking in the after-glow of some of the best riding I have ever done.  Many a wednesday night, in a country pub near Pompey, the Porkers will find it's way into conversations of rides past and planned.  It seemed to have earned an almost mythical status amongst the local congregation as one of the toughest but also one of the most rewarding 400's one can ride.  It lived up to all my expecatations and more but then that was not really a suprise with Mr Shaw at the helm.  The perfect route, the fine company, the exceptional support and the cracking weather elevate this to a spiritual experience on two wheels!   Now I fully understand and can nod sagely in agreement the next time Postie gets misty eyed when someone asks about a ride they've heard of called the Porkers!   

thank you Shawn :thumbsup:

and now for the gallery ....

appearing in a tea room near you

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #316 on: 08 May, 2013, 08:17:20 am »
hi,
Apparently the link to the Portesham hill photos doesn't work for those without a facebook account... facebook tells me this one will work:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151593470638913.1073741828.673533912&type=1&l=240ef03ee8
ditto the ones of the dawn as we packed up the control, which are here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151594667353913.1073741830.673533912&type=1&l=28e419c63d
Andrew.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #317 on: 08 May, 2013, 09:58:39 am »
Looks like you all had super weather for the Porkers.

But I found the Hardboiled so ahem, "difficult" that I'm glad I did the Brevet Cymru instead, with just good-average weather.

« Reply #318 on: 08 May, 2013, 12:44:22 pm »
I have been hypnotised by reading these glowing reports of this outing...hypnotised that is into sending off the entry for Brimstone that I was umming and ahhing about  :D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #319 on: 08 May, 2013, 12:59:35 pm »
I don't think you'll regret it.

If it's more of the same, then we are in for a real treat. 

I am looking forward to it very much.  Though I did make the mistake at looking at the profiles of stages 4&5 - Beaminster-Exmouth-Taunton Deane.  Gosh. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #320 on: 08 May, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »
Well it surely do sound like a trip worth taking.

Though I did make the mistake at looking at the profiles of stages 4&5 - Beaminster-Exmouth-Taunton Deane.  Gosh.

Yes I've heard a couple of unsubstantiated rumours about such things, but will try not to get too concerned about them *yet*

Hummers

« Reply #321 on: 08 May, 2013, 03:10:41 pm »
It is a cracking ride and (in my opinion) different in character to both the Hardboiled and Porkers but is no lessened by this.

This years route has new controls and route differences for some of the stages. For example; the 1st control used to be a shop in Abbotts Ann, the 2nd control used to be either a pub or the garage in Codford, there is no Cheddar Gorge this time and the 134k leg from Taunton to Malmesbury has been broken in two by a drop-in at Mr Buck's house.

It is also worth remembering that the AAA notations only apply to a stage overall and can lead the unwary to a false sense that all the climbing is over. In fact, I see that the most warmly remembered stages remain intact: Stage 4 (Beaminster to Exmouth) which despite a long section on the A3052, at 20 AAA speaks for itself.  Stage 5 (Malmesbury to Nunney Catch) which although only 14.4 AAA, has some fine view points and finally Stage 8 has some unexpected bonus bumps despite only sporting 10 AAA.

Enjoy  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #322 on: 08 May, 2013, 05:54:10 pm »
20 AAA in one stage shurely shome mishtake, or does it go via Nepal?

Or are you pulling my leg mr Hummers and wish me to have to undertake the Kate Moss diet for the next month in order to be in shape for such barbarity  :P

Hillbilly

« Reply #323 on: 08 May, 2013, 06:44:04 pm »
It is number of meters of climb per kilometre.  Not the usual AAA meaning.

I think it is calculated as:

Altitude gain over stage / Distance of stage

As such, you may need to multiply by 2 to get the average gradient of actual climbs, if you see what I mean.  No doubt someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong and multiplying by 2 isn't needed.

Also, clearly, you take the number quoted by distance and multiply by distance of stage to get the metres of climb on that particular leg.

« Reply #324 on: 08 May, 2013, 06:55:34 pm »
Arr I zee...they be 'special' Wessex AAA's