Author Topic: Allergic reactions  (Read 5452 times)

annie

Allergic reactions
« on: 12 May, 2008, 10:07:11 pm »
A few days ago some spots appeared on my chest, well lumps really, yesterday spots appeared all over my arms, the lumps on my arms improved slightly this morning but only for an hour or so.  More have appeared on my chest and shoulders and now on my back and neck.  I think it may be related to some plants I handled yesterday and today although the rash is worsening.  I have taken the usual antihistamines but still very uncomfortable.  Any tips?

border-rider

Re: Allergic reactions
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:12:31 pm »
Go to the doctors

If it's urticaria (which I get some years) the antihistamines should nail it pdq. 

If it was from the plants it'd likely be focussed around the contact areas too. 

annie

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:14:56 pm »
Go to the doctors

If it's urticaria (which I get some years) the antihistamines should nail it pdq. 

If it was from the plants it'd likely be focussed around the contact areas too. 

Thank you MV.  I thought exactly the same thing about the contact points, the areas affected are too widespread, could well be urticaria though, will have to resort to taking Piriton now before bed and cover myself in lotion.

annie

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »
Just had another thought, I went near to some latex and I have a hypersensitivity to it, normally causes problems with my lips and mouth and breathing but not a rash, so don't think it is that.

I also suffer with dermatographism, horrible condition.

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2008, 08:21:14 am »
Poor Annie,  take it easy & get well soon.  :-*
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

annie

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:27:25 am »
Poor Annie,  take it easy & get well soon.  :-*

Thank you.  I am like a zombie this morning, can barely keep my eyes open, feel as though I have been drugged, just feel absolutely dreadful.  I never want to take Piriton ever again if this is how it makes me feel.

How are you feeling today?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:37:34 am »
Poor Annie.  :(

Can't offer any helpful advice but I hope you feel better soon. 

:-*

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:51:29 am »
Piriton is something I only ever take last thing at night.  If they're still sold, Tavegil are worse and Hismanal almost paralysed me - it was like weighing 50 stone.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Fi

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:53:24 am »
I find loratadine doesn't knock me out and does ease hives, or if you can be bothered to get to the docs for a prescription, fexofenadine is good too.

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:54:32 am »
Hi Annie,

I've been feeling a little better since the weekend.  My voice still keeps going, but I'm not feeling as tired & run down.   Went to a gig on Saturday, and am going to another tonight  http://www.gwilymsimcock.com/

Sunday lunch at my parents was a bit sad without Lucy, but we had a laugh when we had to abandon eating outside due to a thunderstorm & torrential rain.

Hugs'n'stuff
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Fi

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:57:42 am »
Annie, you could try some E45 5% hydrocortizone, or urtica cream if you want something organicy

annie

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2008, 04:33:07 pm »
Thank you folks for all your advice.  I tried E45 and that made it even worse, think I have an allergy to that as well.  Hydrocortison would be fine but it would mean covering large areas of skin, I spent many years in wet wraps and try to avoid it if possible.  Spoke to the doc who said I ought to take a short course of steroids but am loathed to do so at this time.

I took the Piriton at bedtime last night and it wasn't until after lunch today that I felt vaguely human.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2008, 04:40:42 pm »

I have that too; my GP once asked me if I'd go and be an example at a dermatology conference. I said no.

If you have a Lush near you, I find their Dream Cream very soothing. I react badly to E45, Diprobase, Oilatum, all the creams with petrochemical bases. Dream Cream has a base of oat milk, rose water and olive oil and is great for relieving the itch and soothing the rash.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

annie

« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:01:10 pm »

I have that too; my GP once asked me if I'd go and be an example at a dermatology conference. I said no.

If you have a Lush near you, I find their Dream Cream very soothing. I react badly to E45, Diprobase, Oilatum, all the creams with petrochemical bases. Dream Cream has a base of oat milk, rose water and olive oil and is great for relieving the itch and soothing the rash.

Thank you Kirst, I shall try to get some this week.

Is your Dermatographism brought on by anything in particular?  Mine seems to be when I exercise and get very hot and also if I wear certain fabrics. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:13:16 pm »
I can send you a little bit of mine if you want to try a bit before buying.

I'm a generally allergicy itchy sort of person and my skin gets very itchy when I'm tense, so I scratch, and even a light scratching will result in huge vivid red wheals appearing within a minute and lasting for half an hour or so. Sometimes I scratch an itch on my face and then wonder why people are asking me what I've done to my face, not realising I look like I've had 20 lashes! I take a daily antihistamine, which helps to keep it under control, but it doesn't bother me unduly. I think that although the appearance of the wheals can be quite spectacular, I don't really suffer it in the way that some people do and it doesn't make me miserable.

My annual summer (well, March - September) allergic conjunctivitis - left eye only - on the other hand, drives me crazy and this year I've been so fed up with it I went to see a homeopath and it seems to be working. I've been able to tolerate my contact lenses on 4 days in the last week. I don't think I've been able to wear contact lenses between March - September at all in the last  4 or 5 years so I'm very impressed.

ETA: oh, fabrics. I do better with natural fabrics, wool makes me itch like mad, and I don't like tight cuffs. Tight cuffs round my wrists marks them very badly so I go for wider sleeves with looser cuffs.

annie

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:25:39 pm »
I can send you a little bit of mine if you want to try a bit before buying.

I'm a generally allergicy itchy sort of person and my skin gets very itchy when I'm tense, so I scratch, and even a light scratching will result in huge vivid red wheals appearing within a minute and lasting for half an hour or so. Sometimes I scratch an itch on my face and then wonder why people are asking me what I've done to my face, not realising I look like I've had 20 lashes! I take a daily antihistamine, which helps to keep it under control, but it doesn't bother me unduly. I think that although the appearance of the wheals can be quite spectacular, I don't really suffer it in the way that some people do and it doesn't make me miserable.

My annual summer (well, March - September) allergic conjunctivitis - left eye only - on the other hand, drives me crazy and this year I've been so fed up with it I went to see a homeopath and it seems to be working. I've been able to tolerate my contact lenses on 4 days in the last week. I don't think I've been able to wear contact lenses between March - September at all in the last  4 or 5 years so I'm very impressed.

ETA: oh, fabrics. I do better with natural fabrics, wool makes me itch like mad, and I don't like tight cuffs. Tight cuffs round my wrists marks them very badly so I go for wider sleeves with looser cuffs.

Thank you for offering to send me a little bit of your cream, are you sure that isn't too much trouble?  I think the nearest Lush to me is Cambridge.

I can remember once being on the treadmill wearing a pair of shorts that irritated me, I got really hot and started to rub, in seconds I was covered in wheals, people asked if I had been attacked by an animal with sharp claws.  Mine normally last for about 2 hours.  I don't actually perspire very easily and I wonder if things would be different if I did.

I have lots of allergies and have had numerous tests over the years.  I spent many months visiting an allergy clinic in Reading when I had severe eczema on my legs and feet.  I had to go to the hospital every morning to have the wraps changed and sleeping tablets to enable to me to settle at night.  Even water can bring me out in lumps and bumps.

I have managed to keep things under control with daily antihistamines and paying close attention to what I eat and touch.

When I go to Theatre (hospital kind) they have to empty the room of latex.  I once had a severe reaction after a general anaesthetic and was rushed to another hospital, touch wood things are improving slightly.

Some tomatoes make the inside of my mouth raw, as does certain cheeses and nuts make my lips tingle and my mouth blister.

« Reply #16 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:29:11 pm »
Seconding the recommendation for lotradine - it's worked better than any other antihistamine on itchy skin, for me. Although you do need to give it a day or two to get properly effective. It doesn't knock me out (but then piriton doesn't really, either).

Also, bathe in porridge! At least, grab a sock or square of cloth, put a few handfuls of oats in it, tie it under the tap when you run the bath, and then just drop it in the water when the bath's full. An hour in that would usually stop the itching enough for me to sleep, when I'd been silly and sat on the wrong sort of grass, or whatever.

annie

« Reply #17 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:30:13 pm »
Seconding the recommendation for lotradine - it's worked better than any other antihistamine on itchy skin, for me. Although you do need to give it a day or two to get properly effective. It doesn't knock me out (but them piriton doesn't really, either).

Also, bathe in porridge! At least, grab a sock or square of cloth, put a few handfuls of oats in it, tie it under the tap when you run the bath, and then just drop it in the water when the bath's full. An hour in that would usually stop the itching enough for me to sleep.

I can remember Velvet sending me some wonderful bits and bobs from Lush, one of the bath thingies had oats in it, really soothed my skin.  If only I could remember the name.

« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:35:27 pm »
I can remember Velvet sending me some wonderful bits and bobs from Lush, one of the bath thingies had oats in it, really soothed my skin.  If only I could remember the name.

This one? http://www.lush.co.uk/products/Ceridwyns_Cauldron_2064.aspx

annie

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:37:34 pm »

This one? http://www.lush.co.uk/products/Ceridwyns_Cauldron_2064.aspx

Thank you, that's the one.  Only silly billy here took it out of the muslin and dropped it into the bath.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #20 on: 13 May, 2008, 07:25:08 pm »
Is it really sad that I knew it was Ceridwen's Cauldron without even having to look at the site?

pm me your name and address and I'll stick a little bit of Dream Cream in the post for you.

annie

« Reply #21 on: 21 June, 2008, 07:34:47 pm »
I ate a couple of brazil nuts earlier and within about a minute had lots of little blisters appear inside my lips :-\  I have taken antihistamines and haven't gotten much worse.  Peanuts do this to me so I avoid them and as JC is allergic to both peanuts and hazelnuts and has several Epipens around the house we don't even allow them over the door.

I only ate some brazil nuts last week and was fine, how can this be?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #22 on: 22 June, 2008, 03:52:01 am »
Poor you, you sound like me, I've been having reactions almost everyday now to different things. After having two sets of tests done (awaiting xray and scans), we have an indication of what it could be. Tis not good :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #23 on: 22 June, 2008, 05:59:05 am »
There are many types of skin rash and many individual cures. In my view, better to see the Doctor who can with tests, identify the problem and offer the correct cure for it. The trial and error approach just delays recovery. Anti histamines will always relieve the itching to some extent.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"