Author Topic: Illness grumble  (Read 15719 times)

Re: Illness grumble
« Reply #25 on: 29 May, 2008, 06:32:54 pm »
Off work again today :-\  but on my mum's recommendation took Andrews Salts last night & this morning & am feeling a bit more the thing now.  Still a bit wobbly but that might be because I haven't eaten anything substantial for over 24 hrs!  Hopefully tomorrow I will be recovered.

(doop & Pete have both been very patient with me moping around feeling sorry for myself, bless them.)

annie

« Reply #26 on: 30 May, 2008, 07:08:36 am »
Hope you are a little better today.

I sent Rich a PM as he has been very poorly.  I was wondering if at some stage you all shared a similar meal or drink?  I only ask because some types of food poisoning can take several days, well up to a week, to appear, such as Campylobacter.

Annie

« Reply #27 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:18:11 am »
...Andrews [liver] Salts...

Do they still make that? My mother used to swear by it.

« Reply #28 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:29:57 am »
Yep, they still make it - although it's now Andrews Original Salts rather than Andrews Liver Salts.  Presumably because it has FA to do with the liver ;)

Feeling significantly better today although still not intending to do anything dramatic like "go to work" (working from home, though).   Out of curiosity, I just stood on the bathroom scales and have lost *over half a stone* in the last week.  I mean, I know I haven't really eaten much, but still!  Obviously need to work on recovering my strength :)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #29 on: 30 May, 2008, 05:00:46 pm »
I've been off work yesterday and today with the same sort of thing.  Hadn't eaten anything (apart from a couple of grapes and a slice of malt loaf, which I threw up again) since Wednesday lunchtime, just got in the shower and discovered I'm practically concave.

Had a bread roll and a cup of tea and all seems okay so far...

I think it's a bug that's going round that we're all more prone to post-BC.  If it were food poisoning it would have gone by now. 

Weren't they called liver salts because feeling sick was called feeling 'liverish?'  Or have I completely made that up?

« Reply #30 on: 30 May, 2008, 07:00:36 pm »
I think "liverish" was more of that hungover/headachey/upset stomach/generalick feeling, but yes. 

Thumbs crossed that you are recovering as well!  Yesterday I managed half a plate of pasta (took me two goes & a lie-down in the middle).  Today I am eating approx normally although *less* than average.  We'll see how the shepherds' pie that Pete & Marna are cooking goes...

Elleigh

« Reply #31 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:25:28 am »
I think it is catching.  I've been sick all night and I feel pretty rank this morning.  I've even take a day off work, which is unknown for me.  In fact my boss rang me to make sure I wasn't dying (she assumed my absence must mean it was something very serious) and congratulated me for seeing the light when she realised I did only have a sickness bug!

I have been to the doctors to get my blood checked, usually coming down with a bug means my iron is low (I don't store iron, so I am chronically anaemic and this affects my immune system)  I went to open surgery and asked to see the doctor as the nurse refuses to take blood if it is the wrong time of the month.  I burst into tears on seeing him.  I have no idea why.  Luckily he is a kind man and was very understanding.  I think the tears are down to tiredness and stress.  He's taken my blood and told me to take fluids for the sickness.

Now I have babbled a whole load of rubbish, and I only meant to say the bug has caught me too!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #32 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:31:42 am »
{{{{{{Elleigh}}}}}}

I am officially Better and scoffed vast quantities of potato salad yesterday. 

It's almost worth being ill for that "Wow, I feel SO MUCH BETTER" feeling you get when it finishes.  :D

« Reply #33 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:53:04 am »
I thought I was better, & had a splendid Saturday catching up with a very old friend in Brighton.  (We were very close as teenagers, then fell out dramatically, & haven't been in touch for about 13 years.  We still get on really well :) ). 

Then yesterday I went out to Richmond Park for a picnic (31 miles all told), got a little dehydrated, ate some slightly over-oily food, got home, and threw up AGAIN.  Could only eat 3 small slices of pizza in the evening which for me is unheard of :(  This morning still feeling a little under the weather. 

Also I have lost my voice. 

Whinge whinge WHINGE WHINGE. 

Get well soon, Elleigh!

(Someone else I know has a similar thing, so perhaps it is going round atm.  Liz: I recommend avoiding anything over-greasy for a bit - seems to have triggered minor relapse in both me & my friend.)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #34 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:59:30 am »
I think bugs are transmissible via the internet.

I was tired all last week, although I'd had a very busy weekend so wasn't too suprised. By Friday night I was exhausted and felt a bit like I was coming down with a cold. Saturday I got up around 8am, had to go into town for a couple of things, was home by half eleven, in my bed by midday and slept till 4. I was at a party on Saturday night and could only manage a couple of hours and one glass of wine, came home, went to bed. Was in a lot of pain from period pain - abdominal cramp and lower back cramps. Yesterday I was out all afternoon, still in a lot of pain, still feeling like I was coming down with a cold, a bit headachey, a bit throaty, a bit of ear pain, very very thirsty. Last night the period pain was so bad I started to wonder if it was appendicitis. This morning the pain is gone, but my head feels funny, I feel very dizzy and I'm not focussing properly. I got the bus to work rather than cycle in but came home after half an hour when I realised not being able to focus properly and not being able to stand up without holding on wasn't conducive to work. I'm going to go back to bed in a minute but I just wanted to share my woes.

This has taken me about 10 minutes to type because I can't see properly. It's very strange.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #35 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:04:23 am »
Then yesterday I went out to Richmond Park for a picnic (31 miles all told), got a little dehydrated, ate some slightly over-oily food, got home, and threw up AGAIN.  Could only eat 3 small slices of pizza in the evening which for me is unheard of :(  This morning still feeling a little under the weather. 

Oh, I have just remembered that there was no silken tofu about, so I ended up chucking a bunch of tahini into the pate instead, to make it creamy, and that will have made it a bunch greasier, as well.

« Reply #36 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:07:46 am »
It was v tasty though!  which is prob why I ate a bit much of it... 

bikenerd

« Reply #37 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:10:39 am »
I think it's probably about time you went to the doctor!  ;)
Something like giardia or salmonella could linger for this long and won't get better without any medicine.

« Reply #38 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:15:14 am »
Meh, I don't think I'm ill enough for that.  I felt A-OK on Saturday; and I'm eating again today, just not *quite* at full strength, as it were.  I think I just overdid it yesterday. 

It should be borne in mind that "eating at full strength" for me is enough to sustain at least 1.5 regular people.  I am pretty much always hungry unless I've actually just put my fork down; which is why Not Feeling Hungry is a bit disturbing. 

I have to see the nurse tomorrow anyway so will mention it in passing & see what she says.  I've just checked & I'm back up a couple of pounds on Friday, so pretty sure I'm in recovery.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:18:33 am »
Get well soon!
I refer the honorable lady to my reply #19 upthread...

« Reply #40 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:20:51 am »
Yes, you may be right - I'm off the boozes atm anyway (though confess I did have a little wine on Saturday - over a long period, though, & with plenty of water/juice in between), so that should be straightforward.

Poor liver!  Maybe I should get some of that milk thistle extract or whatever, or is that Unscientific Nonsense?

annie

« Reply #41 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:46:02 am »
Sorry you aren't very well Kirst, have a hug, sleep well.

Juliet, I think you ought to see the doc now.  I had Giardia by the way but didn't vomit at all.

Take care

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:13:04 pm »
We were up in the night for #2 son (he's 15). He's had a very intermittent cough for a few weeks - had a couple of trips to the docs (prescribed Codeine and a nasal spray), but gradually the cough has become more violent - almost to the point of throwing up, but not quite.

Last night he woke up in a panic, unable to get a decent breath in without making a horrible "Whoop" sound. This coincided with a nasty coughing fit. Eventually got him calm again and he went back to bed.

Back to the docs this morning as we (me more than Mrs S) were worried it might be Whooping cough, but doc says the pattern is wrong - Whooping cough goes "Cough cough cough cough cough woooooop... cough cough cough cough wooooop" and #2 son was more "Whoop whoop whoop cough cough... whoop whoop whoop cough cough cough...".

He's now on antihistamines and back to school. Kids... always a worry  ::-).

Elleigh

« Reply #43 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:21:30 pm »
Thanks Liz and Juliet.  Kirst, I hope that you feel a bit better.

I think I that I have thrown up everything I have ever eaten today :-s  Not good.

annie

« Reply #44 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:22:28 pm »
Thanks Liz and Juliet.  Kirst, I hope that you feel a bit better.

I think I that I have thrown up everything I have ever eaten today :-s  Not good.

Ohhh gosh, sorry to hear this Elleigh, extra big hugs for you as well.

« Reply #45 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:30:14 pm »
Get well soon, everyone!

Why is it that people ride 600s again...? ???

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #46 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:39:26 pm »
Get well soon, everyone!

So that they can take time off work... ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #47 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:41:28 pm »
Get well soon, everyone!

;D

I just feel for their poor knees... I must be middle-aged, I am starting to sound like my mum.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #48 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:44:40 pm »
Get well soon, everyone!

;D

I just feel for their poor knees... I must be middle-aged, I am starting to sound like my mum.  ;D

Feeling for other people's knees can lead you into serious trouble young lady... but I'm game! :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Maladict

« Reply #49 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:45:25 pm »
I've had one day off sick that could be attributed to Audax, in 2 years...