Author Topic: Leg shaving tribulations  (Read 13465 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Leg shaving tribulations
« Reply #50 on: 02 July, 2008, 07:05:08 am »
Doing a fairly physical job (running up and down ladders & poles a lot of the time)  and having to wear long trousers, since I started shaving I find that in this hot weather my legs feel a bit cooler and less itchy.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:38:48 pm »
Back in the early days of chain emails, I received an amusing account of some guy shaving his arse hair for hygiene reasons.

Lack of hair created a slimey sweaty mess - I have NO idea if this really happens, but the story was told rather well.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:44:32 pm »
For those of you who have to shave parts of your body (intimate or otherwise) may I recommend one of these?  Look weird but work wonderfully.  :thumbsup:

And one for GruB....   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #53 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:47:07 pm »
I like that. What fuel does it run on?
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #54 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:48:58 pm »
What about backs.

Should backs be shaved...?
It is simpler than it looks.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #55 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:53:10 pm »
For those of you who have to shave parts of your body (intimate or otherwise) may I recommend one of these?  Look weird but work wonderfully.  :thumbsup:

That is so you, Reg!!!   :-*
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #56 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:53:28 pm »
But then where do you stop? I have enough trouble keeping on top of the wretched stuff that sprouts out of my head holes..........a back would require another party to help out I reckon......unles you could rig up a sander to a bike clamp, then do the shimmy on some wet and dry....

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #57 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:54:44 pm »
What about backs.

Should backs be shaved...?
Plucked!!   ;D

My daughter does mine. (It's only sparsley furred though) 
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: 03 July, 2008, 01:03:15 pm »

The shape looks useful, but I'm not sure about the SCIENCE:

Cryogenically Tempered?

The cryogenic treatment consists of subjecting the blade to a temperature of minus 270 degrees below zero for a 24 hour period and then bringing it back to ambient or room temperature. In a nut shell the cryogenic process just slows the molecules to a virtual stop and realigns the molecular structure of the existing molecular bars which connect to each other.

::-)

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #59 on: 03 July, 2008, 01:06:34 pm »

Cryogenically Tempered?

The cryogenic treatment consists of subjecting the blade to a temperature of minus 270 degrees below zero for a 24 hour period and then bringing it back to ambient or room temperature. In a nut shell the cryogenic process just slows the molecules to a virtual stop and realigns the molecular structure of the existing molecular bars which connect to each other.

Two thoughts on that:
1) so it takes 24 hours to do something that can be acheived using heat and an oil or water bath in seconds?
2) minus 270 degrees below zero would surely be +270, double negatives and all that?

PR bullhickey if you ask me :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #60 on: 03 July, 2008, 01:08:25 pm »
Backs?  Did mine last night, took off a veritable carpet, and the pool felt *lovely* this morning. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #61 on: 03 July, 2008, 01:12:25 pm »
There is also no way any manufacturing process (at least for a disposable razor) is going to involve holding something 3° above absolute zero for 24 hours.  It would cost a fortune.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #62 on: 03 July, 2008, 01:16:05 pm »

Cryogenically Tempered?

Two thoughts on that:
1) so it takes 24 hours to do something that can be acheived using heat and an oil or water bath in seconds?
2) minus 270 degrees below zero would surely be +270, double negatives and all that?

PR bullhickey if you ask me :)

Minus 273.15 is absolute zero. Colder than a really cold thing in a cold place that gets even colder when the heating breaks down.

As Tim o says, that involves a stuff load of energy. Plus the molecules on the edge of the blade will be subject to fracturing and stress. Probably making it worse.....

« Reply #63 on: 03 July, 2008, 01:21:02 pm »
Plus of course I am a big ugly bloke. Shaving my back is going to do nothing exept provide the matress factory with some extra materials....

Regulator

« Reply #64 on: 03 July, 2008, 02:13:08 pm »
Plus of course I am a big ugly bloke. Shaving my back is going to do nothing exept provide the matress factory with some extra materials....

The web-site I pointed to earlier (Hair Removal & Hair Loss Products) also does a handy line in long handled back shaving implements.  :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #65 on: 03 July, 2008, 02:14:01 pm »
Backs?  Did mine last night, took off a veritable carpet, and the pool felt *lovely* this morning. 

Did my chin tuesday morning.  As usual by the evening my face was on fire from the salty sweat (and I haven't dared face doing it again - I'm waiting for cooler weather).

I'd hate to think how much agony I'd be in if I did my legs and took the carpet off my chest and back as well :o

Regulator

« Reply #66 on: 03 July, 2008, 02:57:02 pm »

Did my chin tuesday morning.  As usual by the evening my face was on fire from the salty sweat (and I haven't dared face doing it again - I'm waiting for cooler weather).

I'd hate to think how much agony I'd be in if I did my legs and took the carpet off my chest and back as well :o

You are a Yeti AICMFP!   ;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #67 on: 03 July, 2008, 03:00:31 pm »

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #68 on: 03 July, 2008, 07:39:05 pm »
HeadBlade® | Ultimate Head Shaving Razor & Head Care Products

Look at the Headblade Sport!  It's got wheels!  Wheee!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #69 on: 09 July, 2008, 07:30:57 pm »
HeadBlade® | Ultimate Head Shaving Razor & Head Care Products

Look at the Headblade Sport!  It's got wheels!  Wheee!

ooooh my brother as that and swears by them  :o

« Reply #70 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:07:59 pm »
Good swearing or bad swearing.....(as in when I sliced up the back of my leg the other day)?

« Reply #71 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:04:14 pm »
Just back from my 3rd leg waxing today, it's far superior to shaving.  Mind you, my blonde hair isn't exactly a wire brush quality, and after waxing it's gone well thin and lady style.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #72 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:12:36 pm »
Good swearing or bad swearing.....(as in when I sliced up the back of my leg the other day)?

lol definately in a good way  :thumbsup:

Dave

« Reply #73 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:20:09 pm »

lol definately in a good way  :thumbsup:

+1 Headblades are great. On your head. Not sure about the rest of your body, mind.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #74 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:07:30 pm »
Just shaved a strip of skin off the front of my bloomin' shin!  Ow! 

Ah well, at least it's trimmed off that old deadlift scar...  :sick: