Author Topic: Bloody Abcess - Root Canal Needed  (Read 5575 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Bloody Abcess - Root Canal Needed
« on: 19 August, 2008, 11:37:59 am »
I managed to bugger up my weekend by developing an abcess under one of my molars.

Mr R gave me a script for antibiotics, which I am taking in high doses to knock the infection on the head before I go on holiday next week.  Looks like a trip to the dentist for some root canal work will be on the cards when I get back from the Netherlands.

Buggrit!

[Whinge over]
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Bloody Abcess - Root Canal Needed
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2008, 11:43:15 am »
You have my sympathy. Personally, I've never found root canal work that bad. (I've had seven, I think.)

Get better soon!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2008, 11:55:34 am »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tiger

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2008, 12:19:12 pm »
Have you tried lancing it? Should be quite spectacular.

Regulator

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:20:12 pm »

The abcess is in the jawbone under a tooth.  Pretty difficult to lance...  :-X

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:23:01 pm »

Pretty difficult to lance...  :-X

but not impossible
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:24:41 pm »

The abcess is in the jawbone under a tooth.  Pretty difficult to lance...  :-X

It won't be once it breaks out sideways towards the gum...

« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:28:53 pm »
Oh just do a Teethgrinder and get in there with the screwdriver...  ;D

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:29:26 pm »

Pretty difficult to lance...  :-X

but not impossible
With the right tools!!   :demon: :demon: :demon:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Tiger

« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:39:18 pm »
Seriously - the bone is thin there and easily punctured. The infection will be eating its way through the bone anyway - its probably quite rotted out already.
A small drillbit in an electric screwdriver should get in under the tooth to the infected mass. should go off with quite a good spray too - best to wear a plastic bag over your head while you do it or you may need to redecorate after.
Strike a vblow for patients rights and deny a dentist his inflated profits. Remember this sort of work used to be done by blacksmiths so it can't be that hard!

« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:43:29 pm »
Ignore these sadistic gits Reg.
You have my sympathy- root canal work is the most painful thing I've gone through, especially the bit where the dentist screws into the root to clean it out.
Good luck.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:44:21 pm »
Seriously - the bone is thin there and easily punctured. The infection will be eating its way through the bone anyway - its probably quite rotted out already.
A small drillbit in an electric screwdriver should get in under the tooth to the infected mass. should go off with quite a good spray too - best to wear a plastic bag over your head while you do it or you may need to redecorate after.
Strike a vblow for patients rights and deny a dentist his inflated profits. Remember this sort of work used to be done by blacksmiths so it can't be that hard!
I'm surprised you didn't manage to find a recipe for the pus, too...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:47:09 pm »
Ignore these sadistic gits Reg.
You have my sympathy- root canal work is the most painful thing I've gone through, especially the bit where the dentist screws into the root to clean it out.
Good luck.

My root-canal was almost painless, and the relief I felt as the anesthetic started to kick in was truly blessed.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

annie

« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:47:51 pm »
Dear sweet Greg, (DUG)

sending you virtual hugs and sloppy food.

When I had my abcess I was very poorly as the infection spread to the bone.  Dosed up on Temgesics and Morphine I admired the beautiful wallpaper in our living that was non existent.

Shall I bring you a hot water bottle?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:49:45 pm »

I'm going to call you out on this one, Tiger.  You're wrong. 

People need to know that you're clearly not in possession of all the facts when you make a post like this.

It was barbers, not blacksmiths.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:51:07 pm »
I'm surprised you didn't manage to find a recipe for the pus, too...
Yebbut The Movers would not let that stay here...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:53:25 pm »

People need to know that you're clearly not in possession of all the facts when you make a post like this.

Aunty C's right!
That's why their trade sign is a red & white rotating helix - blood and soap..

H, FRCS

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:55:02 pm »
Poor old Reg. He seems to have had quite a lot of trouble with canals this year. ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tiger

« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:57:58 pm »
Sorry Reg - just pulling your leg a bit to try and lighten your spirits. Didn't mean to sound sadistic and I realise it was innapropriate.
As has been said an abscess is really painful. And you desereve every sympathy - the Root Canal Work is truly awful and excruciating. I screamed for them to put me out of my misery when the dentist was wiggling that cleaning probe around in my tooth root. The anaesthetic just didn't seem to dul the pain at all as he twiddled and prodded the exposed nerves. It was like being wired up to the mains. I had noghtmares for weeks afterwards about the sound of the drill whizzing and whining and the smell of burning tooth enamel as he drilled deeper and deeper.

Regulator

« Reply #19 on: 19 August, 2008, 04:12:51 pm »
I don't mind the root canal work - the worst part is the injections for the local anaesthetic.  The rest is a doddle.

I rang my dentist today.  He's NHS and it's band 2 on the scale - so the whole lot will only cost about £70.

The bit that pees me off is the antibiotics.  They don't half give me the runs...

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #20 on: 19 August, 2008, 04:22:38 pm »
It was barbers, not blacksmiths
well said Charlotte as I don't do teeth ;D

« Reply #21 on: 19 August, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »
I've told you what to do about the runs in the other thread. Psyllium husk. It is fabulous stuff.

Tiger

« Reply #22 on: 19 August, 2008, 04:43:55 pm »

Call me out? Tell me I'm wrong? I am most assuredly right Charlotte. For while you are right that barbers did indeed pull teeth - it was to the blacksmith that the rural community turned.

Following quote from Schools lesson guide for GSCE general studies lesson on 'Blacksmiths':
It was not uncommon to see signs hanging outside of the blacksmith shop advertising the different trades which the blacksmith took on such as horse shoeing, fixing wagons, making wagon wheels and even pulling teeth. How would you like to go to the blacksmith shop to have your teeth pulled?

Touche!

Regulator

« Reply #23 on: 19 August, 2008, 04:52:31 pm »
Both Charlotte and Tiger are correct, as both blacksmiths and barbers pulled teeth.  Interestingly, many of the instruments used by dentists today trace their origins back to those used by blacksmiths.

Barbers developed into barber surgeons and then into surgeons. 

Surgeons these days are still referred to as 'Mr' rather than 'Dr' to differentiate them from the 'physicians', who were originally the 'educated' medics of their day.

Dentistry is one of only two health professions regulated by closure of function (what is done by the profession) rather than closure of title (what the professional is called).  It is a criminal offence for anyone but a dentist (or another regulated member of the dental health team, now that new regulations have come into force) to put his hands into your mouth for the purposes of treatment of teeth.  This is why maxiofacial surgeons, despite having a medical degree, also have to do a dentistry degree.

The other 'health profession' regulated by closure of function is veterinary medicine.

The title 'Doctor' is not protected by law in the UK - anyone can call themselves 'Doctor'.  Medical practitioners use the title 'Doctor' as an honorific, as do several other health professions, as they don't get doctorate degrees.

And for your most useless piece of information of the day, farriers (closely related to blacksmiths) were the first 'profession' to be subject to statutory recognition and regulation in the UK and they are still the smallest regulated profession.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 19 August, 2008, 05:07:44 pm »
Does that mean that Mr R  would have commited an offence if he'd tapped on your sore tooth then prescribed you antibiotics?