Author Topic: Castleton Classic  (Read 3009 times)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
Castleton Classic
« on: 05 May, 2015, 02:09:18 pm »
Anyone riding this on sunday?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-126/
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Re: Castleton Classic
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2015, 02:21:19 pm »
I am  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2015, 06:19:44 pm »
Yep. If the weather is good I'll be extending it too. ;D
LFCC

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:03:53 am »
Looking forward to it.

It will be warm and dry but predictably windy in the afternoon.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:26:20 am »
This was my first 200km Audax way back in the 90s :)

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2015, 01:22:49 pm »
This was also my first Rando. Also in the nineties.

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:35:30 am »
What a lovely route a good mixture of countryside, it was just a shame about the headwind on the way back, at least it stayed dry. Thanks to the organiser for putting on lovely food at the first and last control, thanks also goes to the helpers  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2015, 01:17:45 pm »
What a lovely route a good mixture of countryside, it was just a shame about the headwind on the way back, at least it stayed dry. Thanks to the organiser for putting on lovely food at the first and last control, thanks also goes to the helpers  :thumbsup:

I would like to echo all of the above.  Great ride but albeit with a horrid headwind for the final half.

Sometimes I wonder if cycling is like labour pain. A woman that has gone through childbirth will never accurately remember the pain she suffered - this part of the body's natural function.  Similar can be said of that hill beyond Bakewell on the return. Boy was that painful and long.  My memory had completely wiped out that experience from four years ago. 

Overall, this is an excellently organised event using a good choice of routes.  The controls are very well supported by an army of volunteers, so many thanks to you all.  This is Terry's last year as organiser of these events.  Next year, Roy Bishop takes the helm. 
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2016, 10:27:13 am »
Anyone else doing the Castleton Classic this year ?  I did the Staffordshire Lanes 100k as my first audax this time last year so I thought it might be nice to celebrate the anniversary by doing the 200k and riding to the start too.

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2016, 01:59:29 pm »
Anyone else doing the Castleton Classic this year ?  I did the Staffordshire Lanes 100k as my first audax this time last year so I thought it might be nice to celebrate the anniversary by doing the 200k and riding to the start too.

The 200 is a nice route with 'asy' first and last quarters.  The challenging parts include the climb out of Ipstones, out of Hope and a never ending hill beyond Bakewell. If the wind is a strong southerly, the section south of Ashbourne provides little shelter.  Great controls at Ipstones and at the village just to the south of Ashbourne. A stop at Castleton can be problematic when busy with tourists.

Sadly, I won't be riding this year due to the Four Rivers scheduled for the day before.

« Reply #10 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:27:35 pm »
I did the 160k last year and loved it.

This year it's my first audax after over nine months off the bike (after I discovered that manhole covers and rain don't mix well, during an audax last summer).  I'll have been back on my bike for no more than a month, so I'll be somewhere near the back of the field.

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »
Yep, doing it too. And like many others it seems, this was my first audax back in the 90's. Moved onto this after what used to be called reliability rides (an early season long ride)   
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2016, 03:30:02 pm »
I was very tempted to do this as my first 200km Audax after thoroughly enjoying a test one a few weeks ago (110km plus 30km to the start and back, furthest I've gone for many years).....

But decided as it's a bit hillier than I'm used to I'd go for the 160km instead (and notch up my first official imperial century all being well).....

I'll be on a battered old kingfisher blue Saracen with copper mudguards if anyone is on the 160km and wants to say hi and drag me along!

« Reply #13 on: 04 May, 2016, 04:22:39 pm »
I was hoping to do the 200 but I've been struggling trying to get over a cold... so I've gone for the 160 which I did last year.  The other reason I've gone for the 160 is, as it's my "very" local audax, my friends have also entered the 160.  It'll make a change riding an audax with friends as I'm normally riding along billy no mates, so I can prove to others who may have seen me before that I do actually have friends!  ;D

« Reply #14 on: 04 May, 2016, 07:39:21 pm »
I am riding the 200 look for me at the back

« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2016, 12:02:34 pm »
A really enjoyable ride on Sunday. Relentless sun whilst climbing over the Peak District, what more could you want ??

Special praise to the two Village Hall controls, especially the one at Ipstones with there wide variety of life-giving cake.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #16 on: 10 May, 2016, 08:46:42 pm »
Enjoyed completing my first 200km AAA event.  The roads leading into Castleton/Hope brought back both fond and painful memories of the peak district hills.  Blessed with a welcoming easterly breeze and warm day, only slightly marred by odd spot of heavy traffic.  I found the route tougher than I anticipated. Generally long consistent ascents which were quite easy to settle into a rythym, with 2 short bits of 1:6 climbs. I would recommend this event for AAA newbies.

Like to say thanks to the helpers at the 2 village hall controls and to Roy for his valuable advice of the terrain which led me to choose triple chainset setup ovet the compact.
Ps don't be afraid to ask organiser/riders details of difficult parts, before and during the ride.

CCS - Setting the Standards

S2L

« Reply #17 on: 10 May, 2019, 11:53:00 am »
Bump...

Anyone riding this? Weather looks good for a change...  :thumbsup:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-126/

S2L

« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2019, 08:20:05 pm »
A hard but rewarding ride, excellently organised by Roy Bishop...

Low turnout, probably down to Velo Midlands... poor excuse if you ask me...  :P

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2019, 09:15:04 am »
Great Ride yesterday

I like the control before the Ipstones climb that for me worked very well

Would like to thank those that rode with me and all the volunteers as well as Roy for putting on an Awesome event

S2L

« Reply #20 on: 13 May, 2019, 09:45:23 am »

I like the control before the Ipstones climb that for me worked very well

Although the man running it was really grumpy... possibly because I only ordered a scone and no drinks  ;D

« Reply #21 on: 13 May, 2019, 07:42:22 pm »
Another classic Castleton Classic.  Many thanks to Roy and his helpers.

The route is picturesque and worth riding.

« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:09:44 pm »
Just a fantastic route in that weather ! And actually quite tough climbing ! A real good day out