Author Topic: How fast are you?  (Read 21225 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
How fast are you?
« on: 14 November, 2018, 06:13:24 pm »

It's becoming a bit of a joke now that I am Lantern Rouge on every Audax I do, completing a couple of 200s in over the 13 hour mark, and 300's in 17hr and 19hr's. The only time I've not come in last was the time I was fortunate enough to ride with someone else, tho they were on a recumbent, so I wasn't able to draft, but we did ride side by side the whole time (apart from the bit with the headwind, where she waited for me in the icecream shop). 

Looking at my Strava data for my 200's, I typically average about 19.8kph when moving. Meaning 200 is just over 10 hours, plus the half hour for the over distance most rides seem to be, gives me about 2.5 hours of faff. Whilst I could work on the faff time, bouncing controls, etc... It did get me curious. How fast are the rest of you? For a 200 or 300, what's your average moving speed? What's your faff to forward ratio like?

I know I need to get faster, I'm just curious how much faster everyone else is?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: How fast are you?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:16:03 pm »
It depends. The last few audaxes I've struggled to reach 15mph.

In June I could ride 100 miles non-stop at 18mph.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:23:22 pm »
Average over the last 11,000 km is 20 kph.
Flat-ish 600, 19.8 kph

But I'm fairly full value  :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:29:11 pm »
It depends. The last few audaxes I've struggled to reach 15mph.

In June I could ride 100 miles non-stop at 18mph.

Is that 24.4kph, 29.4kph, and 163kph  respectively?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »
When I last rode audaxes (a couple of years ago due to injuries and other distractions), my moving average was around 20kph (on standard 1% rolling terrain).  I'm certainly full-value, but not usually lanterne rouge (that's usually someone who's gone off-route or been plagued by mechanicals).

I appear to have averaged 19.11kph overall for this year, but I don't think that's a particularly meaningful figure, as it's mostly a function of what I've been riding on (see the Sustrans paths thread), how much I've been carrying and how many cars were in the way.  I don't have audax-specific stats.

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:33:05 pm »
How fast am I?

Judging by last night's 100: still just as slow as ever 8)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:35:33 pm »
Maybe, but you do ride a bike that weighs 85kg.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:40:07 pm »
Nope.

I wasn't riding the magnificent Pashley Roadster Sovereign; I was riding the super-lightweight Guv'nor which tips the scales at barely a hundredweight...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:56:00 pm »
I don't think it matters. As long as you get round within time, all is good. Sure there are some super fast people, but they should really be racing if they think they're fast. Most "Fast" Audaxers would be dropped within the first kilometre of a road race  :P

I've completed Audax rides in fairly decent times, but I've also only just scraped in on the time limit on other occassions.

As far as I'm concerned, if you get in on time you've succeeded. Job done.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:56:12 pm »
I tend to average about 25kph moving. Maybe a bit more on a flat course or with a good group. Maybe less on a tough course.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

rob

« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:56:40 pm »
In recent years I have been able to do a 200 in 8-9hrs.  On a UK 200 this will be finishing in the first 10 riders.  This is less about riding fast but more about not stopping.  Eat on the move and only stop if you need to.

When I organised I thought the average rider was back in 10-11hrs.

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:11:29 pm »
As can be seen in my avatar I have a "slight" aero' advantage, although at 25kg net weight (no batteries, water, food, spares etc) I have a distinct disadvantage up hill.

This year has seen me coming in with overall averages of 25-28kph, moving averages of about 33-38kph. I did do one DIY 200k in just under maximum time but i did fit in a full day at the office as well.

I hasten to add these have not been what you'd class as hilly, although all had their periods of great suffering!

I guess putting that into perspective when I did ride a road bike I could knock a hilly century (160k+) out in 5hrs with stops, although that was about 12 years ago in my mid 40s.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:14:17 pm »
I'm pretty slow, usually 11.5 - 12 hours on a 200.
My quickest events are those where I've avoided stopping at a cafe, simply picking up a quick bite to eat and getting straight back on the bike. Getting faster whilst moving takes a certain determination to get fitter and as I only ride my bike once a week that doesn't seem to be happening for me (at least, not over the last ten years!)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:18:16 pm »
It varies depending on the season. Perhaps 8-10 hours for a 200 in summer, 11-12 hours in winter. Riding average is 20-28kph depending on terrain and wind direction, mostly 23-26kph for brevets of standard hilliness, virtually regardless of distance. I prefer not bouncing controls.

Mind you, I have finished a 1000 and a 600 with less than 15 minutes to spare in the past few years. That sort of brinkmanship gets a little wearing during a long ride.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #14 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:22:40 pm »
Fast enough to get around within the time limits (for 200, 300, 400, 600, 1200, 1400, and 1500), having had a lot of fun and without having destroyed myself.  I'm an average audaxer and, like bobb, I don't think it matters.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #15 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:24:01 pm »
I don't think it matters. As long as you get round within time, all is good. Sure there are some super fast people, but they should really be racing if they think they're fast. Most "Fast" Audaxers would be dropped within the first kilometre of a road race  :P

Why should they? If they wanted to they probably would. I, for one, don't want to. It's stressful and you crash, neither of which is of interest to me. I can't speak for anybody else, but I wouldn't get dropped in the first I'm of a road race. I also ride in a club with the 'elite' group. I'm the only non-racer. The rest are 3rd and 2nd cat.

I've completed Audax rides in fairly decent times, but I've also only just scraped in on the time limit on other occassions.

As far as I'm concerned, if you get in on time you've succeeded. Job done.

I agree totally.  However, if I'm in shape and have the inclination to get round swiftly then I will. I did my first 400 in 2007. I got back at 7am. These days I'm back before midnight on a good day. No bragging rights, but it does enable a decent nights sleep.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #16 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:27:55 pm »
Don't see the problem in going around an Audax quickly... each to their own

I'm toying with the idea of having a go at an AAA SR in 72 hours, meaning the cumulative time of 200+300+400+600 being 72 hours... for logistical reasons it will actually take about a month to complete...  ;D

« Reply #17 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:32:35 pm »
According to my spreadsheet, my moving average ranges from 24.8 kph (an insanely hilly 300, took me 15 hrs to complete, shattered at the arrivee...) to 31.2 kph (a flat 200 under perfect conditions, quite proud of this one since it was 90% solo). The main advantage of speed is that it buys you sleeping time on the longer audaxes. Otherwise just enjoy the scenery and take your time  :)

« Reply #18 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:34:06 pm »
^ This

Plus, if you are in the mood, it's fun.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #19 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:35:51 pm »
Over the years, my times for a 200 have ranged from <8.5 to >13 hrs. The influencing factors are many and various.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:42:40 pm »
I rejoice in the achievement of being the Lanterne Rouge on many of my rides, as Mark Rigby will confirm. I usually have a moving speed of 18-19 km per hour although I recall that the Dartmoor Devil saw me down to 16.5 km per hour. My longest ride was the Brevet Cymru, which I managed to do this year, I was very pleased to finish at 7.30 am with 90 minutes to spare. My moving average was 20.4 km per hour, which was greatly assisted by riding in groups as much as I could. I don't mind riding alone but you definitely go faster with company. "Go at your own pace" was advice I was given 18 years ago, when I did my first Audax and I have followed that advice ever since - which probably explains my snail like progress!

« Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:45:15 pm »
I agree totally.  However, if I'm in shape and have the inclination to get round swiftly then I will. I did my first 400 in 2007. I got back at 7am. These days I'm back before midnight on a good day. No bragging rights, but it does enable a decent nights sleep.

What? I didn't think you ever bothered to complete an Audax?  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #22 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:58:35 pm »
I just can't resist the lure of a comfy bed and a bathroom with gold taps

« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:08:00 pm »
Over the years, my times for a 200 have ranged from <8.5 to >13 hrs. The influencing factors are many and various.

I've come 2nd in an audax and I've come 2nd last. Loads of different factors, but the overriding one for me is how heavy I am. Ex-Team GB club mate of mine had it drilled into him when he was racing that "the lighter you are, the faster you are" and I've got to agree with that.

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:16:43 pm »
My times have certainly gone down since I first started.

On my first 200 I was pushing the time limits despite averaging 21kph moving, because I needed the long rests at each control. As I've got fitter, and fat metabolism has improved, and more experienced, etc, my speed has increased slightly but my stopped time is way down.

2nd ever 200 and I stopped for over 2.5 hours (and just made it back in time due to it being over distance): https://www.strava.com/activities/163174039 (note this includes the ride to/from the nearby station).

Compare that to a recent-ish 200 where my average speed wasn't much different but I tried to limit my stops to under an hour: https://www.strava.com/activities/599919693

Eating on the move (which takes time to get your body's metabolism able to cope with this) is the key. Cuts out so much faff time, and you'll arrive at each control feeling much less like you just want to sit in a chair for an age.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."