Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2399028 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8975 on: 09 June, 2019, 01:25:09 pm »
a large chainring makes it look deceiving, the gear is 81", very close to what i've been riding for years

« Reply #8976 on: 09 June, 2019, 03:45:00 pm »
Honorary mention of mrs ao's venerable Raleigh steel machine (which I've been fettling).

IMG_Raleigh_Classic ca.1985 by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8977 on: 10 June, 2019, 01:01:39 pm »
My steel bike, in 'stealth' mode - awaiting new mudguards.  The first time I've ever ridden it without mudguards; definitely felt faster...  ;)

IMG_20190525a by ao, on Flickr

with 32mm Paselas (on DT Swiss RR440). Good rollers, and pretty comfy, esp @ lower psi (~70F/80R).

IMG_20190525b by ao, on Flickr

Trying new 'Coukou' Headlight

edit. see below. should be good now.   :)

Neat   :) 8)

« Reply #8978 on: 19 July, 2019, 08:04:56 pm »
My new toy:

Just managed 5km on it today.  In LOTS of stages.  With much panting.  Half gravel, some rutted track, short hills.  Nothing like a challenge to get the heart beating.  Phew.

« Reply #8979 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:01:46 pm »
I had a broken spoke on my commuting bike last week, a spoke head broke off, so I dug this out for the dry days until I replace the spoke.

Rourke 753 road frame (resprayed by Shorter I think). The head tube is long for the frame size which is I think 52cm c-c.

Rourke wrap-over fastback stays.

Front wheel: Camapagnolo Nuovo Record road s/f, Mavic G40, Veloflex Master 25.

Back wheel: Camapagnolo Nuovo Record track l/f converted to qr, Mavic E2, Vittoria Open Corsa.

Chainset and bottom bracket: Camapagnolo Nuovo Record track, 165mm, 46 3/32 ring. Late unfluted version, although I much prefer the fluted version.

Pedals: Wellgo spd

Brake: Camapagnolo Super Record, with original dried out hoods which are almost falling apart.

Seatpin: Camapagnolo 50th Anniverary, almost same as Super Record.

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo (old, not the recent version).

Bars: Nitto, cotton tape.

Stem: 3ttt 78.

Headset: Stronglight A9

Weight is very light!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8980 on: 31 July, 2019, 07:24:45 pm »
20190731_185006 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

This is how a TSR should be.  56 x 15 fixed.  Any tips for getting chainring bolts really tight?  I have the crappy Park tool to hold the slotted nut at the back but it doesn't really work and three of them spin before they bind properly.  A bit of threadlock between the nut and the chainring, and grease between the bolt and nut?

And yes, I will repaint the dropouts.  Powdercoat flakes off all the sharp edges, just like on my Brompton before I had it properly painted.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8981 on: 31 July, 2019, 07:50:42 pm »

This is how a TSR should be.  56 x 15 fixed.  Any tips for getting chainring bolts really tight?  I have the crappy Park tool to hold the slotted nut at the back but it doesn't really work and three of them spin before they bind properly.  A bit of threadlock between the nut and the chainring, and grease between the bolt and nut?

And yes, I will repaint the dropouts.  Powdercoat flakes off all the sharp edges, just like on my Brompton before I had it properly painted.

Looks tidy  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8982 on: 31 July, 2019, 08:27:58 pm »
Oh... I haz bench envy!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8983 on: 04 August, 2019, 12:10:20 pm »
Nice machine.

There are some chainring bolts with 5mm Allen bolts on the front and 6mm Allen on the nut but the name escapes me at the moment (FSA? They might be doubles though). I think Sugino did something similar with Torx fittings but they are ‘rare as rocking horse...’
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8984 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:51:20 pm »

Nice one Roger + love the 105 cream brake hoods mostest  :thumbsup: 8) I believe it suits you sir  :)

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8985 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:19:00 pm »
On my way in the year of 2013? from Snowdonia to a first overnight date/stay via an internet matchmaking service (Guardian Soulmates). Climbing out of Newton (Powys) up onto the moor en route to Presteigne. Fabulous ride.

Despite hot bath and fluffy towels supplied on my arrival and very attractive person, incompatibility in the real world soon resulted and a swift return the next morning before breakfast was required. I blame myself.

No, the red thing on the the rear rack was not a gimp masked baby - it was a Goretex rain jacket, removed cos, despite the snow drifts, I was hot ::-)

Oh yeah! 1992 George Longstaff off the peg touring frame

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8986 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:51:26 pm »
There are some chainring bolts with 5mm Allen bolts on the front and 6mm Allen on the nut but the name escapes me at the moment (FSA? They might be doubles though)

Truvativ?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8987 on: 23 August, 2019, 07:47:48 pm »

Despite hot bath and fluffy towels supplied on my arrival and very attractive person, incompatibility in the real world soon resulted and a swift return the next morning before breakfast was required. I blame myself.

Was she not impressed with your cycle clips?    Seriously tho, looks to have been a very memorable ride, more so than the date. ;)
''you can't please all of the women, all of the time.''

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8988 on: 23 August, 2019, 09:24:58 pm »
Blimey, you’re squandering material here.

On my way in the year of 2013? from Snowdonia to a first overnight date/stay via an internet matchmaking service (Guardian Soulmates). Climbing out of Newton (Powys) up onto the moor en route to Presteigne. Fabulous ride.

That’s two threads.

That’s another thread, or a sequel to one of the first threads (above).

And that’s yet another thread!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8989 on: 26 August, 2019, 05:54:33 pm »
n+1

Replacing the one lost to my ministrations, I would have preferred a 26" but what I thought was going to be an easy find - flat bars, non-gaspipe frame, semi decent groupset, v-brakes or better, solid rear axle for towing, non-desirable appearance - turns out not to be. So I compromised on the 26" At least these wheels are round and true.

« Reply #8990 on: 09 September, 2019, 09:13:40 pm »
My new Mercian Strada Speciale, tubing is Reynolds 853 Pro Team. Campagnolo components (10-speed), mostly, Nitto bars and stem. Intended use is as a non-winter road bike, hence no mudguards, rack mounts etc.

(click to expand)

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8991 on: 10 September, 2019, 09:29:13 am »
^^^ Lush  :)

« Reply #8992 on: 10 September, 2019, 09:55:08 am »
that's lovely.

« Reply #8993 on: 10 September, 2019, 06:35:12 pm »
Very nice. Ridden it?

We have similar preferences in bar angle - level across the tops flowing into the hoods like that. Works well with those Nitto bars as you have managed to get the drops horizontal too.

« Reply #8994 on: 10 September, 2019, 10:51:10 pm »
Very nice. Ridden it?

Yes, took it out for a short 25 mile shakedown ride with a friend on Saturday, according to Strava I got 22 personal records, and I wasn't trying that hard :-)

Note second bottle cage fitted, though I only just finished the first bidon on that ride!

The ride quality is fantastic, not harsh, not noodly - think this is partly the frame, partly the Veloflex Master 25 tyres (and latex tubes) - despite being skinny, the latter give a beautifully smooth ride.

Acceleration is ludicrously quicker than on my Hewitt Cheviot and it seems to fly up hills. Shifting at the rear was impeccable.

On the downside, think some adjustments are needed:

1) Whilst I found the Gilles Berthoud Galibier saddle to be fine and it didn't give me any comfort problems, I did keep on finding myself moving forward on it - probably need to move the rails forward on the seat clamp a bit, it is quite far back currently, will try in 5mm steps.

2) When I rest my hands on the hoods (as I would certainly do in a group ride, to have quick access to gears and brakes), my arms are almost (but not quite) locked, think the reach is a tad too far, and I did have some neck stiffness after the ride (though I am a bit prone to that). Moving the saddle forward may help a bit, but I suspect I should have gone for an 80mm Nitto Pearl stem instead of a 90mm one - on the bike the latter is actually closer to 100mm - this is a bit of a known issue with this stem, but I thought the short reach Nitto M106 NAS bars would compensate. In the drops and elsewhere on the bars it's okay. Bit annoying to have to change a quill stem, though, especially as Mercian did a very good job with the bar tape and mounting the Ergos.

3) I dropped the chain once, although that was when trying to change down to the small ring at fairly low cadence (was a bit of a last minute thing, when I had to stop because had a fly in my eye). No damage to paint, though. Also a few times it halfheartedly tried to pick up the chain when changing up to the big ring, but failed. Think the front derailleur needs more adjustment - the limit screws, perhaps? When it worked, which was most of the time, though, the front shifting was surprisingly quick, considering the 16T jump, and the Ergos make it easy to shift up a cog or two at the back quickly afterwards.

Other than that it was excellent.

We have similar preferences in bar angle - level across the tops flowing into the hoods like that. Works well with those Nitto bars as you have managed to get the drops horizontal too.

Yes, I like how the bar angles work out, the bars are 26mm Nitto M106 NAS bars, 42cm wide.

Paul

« Reply #8995 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:35:09 am »
This is what I did with bikenrrd's Colnago Decor Brain Frameset:

Paul

« Reply #8996 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:40:52 am »
Blimey: those pics are a bit pants. I'll see if I can do better at some point, but you get the gist.

The bars also look to be at a jaunty angle: I'm still working on the position.

I built those wheels myself! :smug:

« Reply #8997 on: 24 September, 2019, 11:10:00 am »
My Airnimal Joey, bought S/H last year with the intention of taking advantage of cheap European coach fares, though this was the first times I've got round to using it for that.
 D5 Another high point - PH by Paul, on Flickr

« Reply #8998 on: 12 October, 2019, 03:55:12 pm »
new ss bike for summer riding - smooth, fast, silent, light (6.55kg as pictured).

like that very much - what frame?

« Reply #8999 on: 12 October, 2019, 07:56:53 pm »
Blimey: those pics are a bit pants. I'll see if I can do better at some point, but you get the gist.

The bars also look to be at a jaunty angle: I'm still working on the position.

I built those wheels myself! :smug:

Looks great (apart from the bar angle! Maybe some different bars would put the controls more where you want them to be?), Campagnolo 10-speed too, still probably my favourite shifter/rear derailleur combo (as you'll have seen from my Mercian pics).