Author Topic: Phone & Music  (Read 764 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Phone & Music
« on: 23 April, 2014, 03:05:35 am »
Perhaps someone could enlighten me as I'm not a tech head. I have music on my computer, CDs that have been copied from my own collection. I have a Nokia Windows phone and a piec of software called 'Zune' allows you to 'synchronise' media content between laptop and phone. This naturally means that the music can be listened to on headphones from both.

My car has an 'aux in' (believed to be factory) which when connected to an i-Thing allows music to be played on the car stereo from said Thing. It does the same with my phone when connected. The difference is that to hear the music from my phone the volume on the car stereo has to be at the max, whereas the Thing will happily run at the same volume setting as the radio and the CD.

Are there any suggestions to get the phone to kick it a little. I don't need, possess or want an i-Thing, nor do I want to change my Lumia.

thanks in advance

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Phone & Music
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2014, 06:25:14 am »
Not quite sure what an i-Thing is??? But in my car the aux input is also quieter than the radio or CD. I got round it by putting a mini amplififier that I got from Amazon between my iPhone and the aux input to boost the volume. It's a little larger than an iPod shuffle, cost about a tenner and charges from the cigarette lighter.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2014, 09:49:04 am »
What model of Lumia? There appears to be an issue with Win7.8 update on 800s, which introduced a legislation driven restriction on the volume levels:

http://www.flowersfx.com/blog/oskar/fixing-nokia-lumia-800-7-8-low-volume-problem

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Lumia-800-WP-7-8-Audio-Volume-too-Low/td-p/1660448/page/13
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2014, 01:43:19 pm »
Not quite sure what an i-Thing is???

Generic class of portable glowing rectangle made by a computer company with a fruity name.

I know nothing of the Nokia in question, but on some devices the EU-mandated audio level restriction[1] can be circumvented by telling it you're in the US.

Possible stupid question: You have tried turning the volume all the way up on the phone, right?  It's entirely possible that the iThing can work out that it's connected to a high-impedance input and set the output to line level automagically.

[1] While I'm all for people not b0rking their hearing, in the absence of EU-mandated headphone impedance, it's a bit silly.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »
As Kim suggests, make sure the volume is turned up on your device. Also, are you sure the iPhone/iPod isn't being connected via the docking connector, this will provide a proper line-out. I'm not sure if the socket does any kind of cleverness – it does on my MacBook.

Annoyingly, I have a nice Logitech Bluetooth adaptor for my stereo system, but I have a similar issue where I have to turn up the volume massively on the amp. Which I then forget until I turn the radio on the following morning for a very loud GOOD MORNING moment. I presume it doesn't pump enough magic volts into the aux holes on my <cough> very high end Aiwa stereo. Don't knock it, it's about twenty years old but you can change the colour of the display (currently configured to be putrid puce).

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2014, 10:11:38 pm »
Is indeed a Lumia 800. The volume on teh FOAN is as up as it will go. Wish it went up to 11!

Thanks, Phil, I'll try that reset/hack you suggested next time I connect to Zune*

*Having grown up with Fireball XL5 I keep hearing 'Welcome home!' . . . #earworms
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.