Author Topic: Armstrong to join Astana  (Read 10056 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Armstrong to join Astana
« Reply #50 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:24:17 pm »
Since I have talked to some riders and have read and heard in the news that it was fairly common to have as a part of your pay packet from your team a "medical" box, all the way from amateurs to pros.

I'm therefore very sure that any rider who was around when the Festina affair happened have at some point in their carrier taken something that should make them go "faster". Since then I do hope that it is not the common/normal thing to do and riders stay way from it.But just look at the Olympics and the temptation is there to do so and you will always have someone trying to cheat the system.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Jakob

« Reply #51 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:46:30 am »
Frenchie seems to have got it about right.

And if rumour and giossip is to be believed Riis started doping and won the TdF - the events were quite closely connected in time.

No. He started doping 3-4 years before that.

« Reply #52 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:23:39 pm »
Frenchie seems to have got it about right.

And if rumour and giossip is to be believed Riis started doping and won the TdF - the events were quite closely connected in time.

No. He started doping 3-4 years before that.

Ok, thanks for the correction.

From memory he made a big weight loss before his TdF win - was it that weight loss that turned him from also-ran to the man who toppled Indurain?

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #53 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
You should have seen him after the tour when he was in Atlanta for the Olympics, a mere shadow of himself.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #54 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:11:05 pm »
The trouble with cycling (and athletics, of the run-fast variety) is that they're pure power sports, and as such drugs will always give better performance.

Darts, on the other hand...a few pints (permitted) might steady your hand, but you can take all the EPO, whizz and HGH in the world and it won't help you with that 9-dart checkout  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #55 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:37:25 pm »

Darts, on the other hand...a few pints (permitted) might steady your hand, but you can take all the EPO, whizz and HGH in the world and it won't help you with that 9-dart checkout  :)

Beta-blockers, apparently, is what you need here  ;D

Wasn't there a modern pentathlete found taking BBs before the shooting round - should have taken your advice and stuck with a few scoops!
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Jakob

« Reply #56 on: 03 October, 2008, 07:03:40 am »
Hmmmmmm
Pierre Bordry gave him the opportunity to have samples taken during the 1998 and 1999 Tours de France retested.
But the seven-time Tour champion refused to consent to the new tests

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 03 October, 2008, 09:59:04 am »
Sans Parole
Getting there...

« Reply #58 on: 03 October, 2008, 11:24:20 am »
Hmmmmmm
Pierre Bordry gave him the opportunity to have samples taken during the 1998 and 1999 Tours de France retested.
But the seven-time Tour champion refused to consent to the new tests

Well I can understand that, given the antipathy between Armstrong and the French cycling authorities, and his distrust of their impartiality. And any lab he trusted the French wouldn't. Impasse.

And what if drugs were found - but ones that were not on the banned list at the time? retrospective justice is always a problem.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #59 on: 03 October, 2008, 11:26:10 am »
Why the hell should he be singled out for retrospective tests? Controversy and incrimination surrounds the entire professional peloton and not just Armstrong.

« Reply #60 on: 03 October, 2008, 11:34:44 am »
Why the hell should he be singled out for retrospective tests? Controversy and incrimination surrounds the entire professional peloton and not just Armstrong.

He hasn't been singled out as such. He has been moaning about this situation and what he sees as sleaze probably. The lab told him, it seems: "You/we can have another go!". This lab and WADA are after all accredited to do that job; not the professor Armstrong wants to appoint (talk about impartiality) now.

If drugs were found that were not on the list (then) nothing would happen; other than tarnish his image and PR values. His record, albeit tinted, would stay.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #61 on: 03 October, 2008, 11:46:27 am »
It's just a game aimed at Armstrong.   Brinkmanship.   He who blinks first is lost.

There is still uncertainty as to the condition and integrity of the samples.   If I was him I'd simply say, "Hey, I was clean then and your tests showed that.   Are you suggesting now that your testing might not have been up to scratch?"

« Reply #62 on: 13 October, 2008, 09:27:13 pm »
Helo again all, it's rather nice round here, i like the decor!

I recon that lance has been waiting for the anti-doping mob to get their act together, now he's pretty confident he can do it all for free and still open up a six-pack of whup-ass on those young pretenders..

You gotta love him!! ive got £50 on it that says he wins next year in paris..