Author Topic: Strava  (Read 25947 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Strava
« on: 21 October, 2012, 09:43:35 pm »
Anyone use it?
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Strava
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »
Yes, though I have zero interest in knowing how fast I am compared to others, I really like being able to see my own performance on a segment (hopefully) improve over time.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2012, 09:48:11 pm »
Quite a few people by the looks of things....

Strava
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:03:44 pm »
I use it to track rides on my phone when I haven't got a speedo fitted but I'm not that bothered about the segment stuff.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
Thanks, bobb.  I'd searched for it, but was surprised when it returned just two posts and no thread.

Marcus, I'm not competitive, and fully expect to be nhundredth out of nhundred and umpteen.  Not a problem.  I just thought it might be nice to follow a few folks.

If mods want to merge this thread, that's OK. Otherwise, I could delete it to avoid confusion, so long as that's OK with you chaps?
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »
I did use it a few times when I first heard of it - it was empty locally back then, but not now. I have dumped a load of GPX files up, but ICBA to use the app, as my phones GPS takes forever to hook up compared to my garmin.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2012, 09:54:34 am »
I used it quite a bit a few years ago but found that I didn't have the equipment for it

The android phone I had then wasn't the best GPS receiver it took  a little while to come on and settle.  Also I had a lot of false readings where it ducked off 100 metres and back!

Now I have a Garmin Etrex 20 the readings are much more reliable but it's a pita getting the gps data from the Garmin to Strava, compared with an Android phone.

I used it the other day to get timings on my hill repeats, by setting up a segment for that.  I will certainly be using it for this kind of thing

It's quite funny to see the mega speeds that are reported on Strava now compared with a couple of years ago.  My old commuting route follows the same road as a 10 mile time trial so I've dropped from 1st to 3rd to 29th in the ratings :)  Before I was winning because I was the only one putting data into it

On the hilll repeats there are a couple of people who are doing that 187m climb in 8m20s whereas my best ever time is 11m

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2012, 10:43:34 am »
I think there's a skill to making a particular segment that is unique to you, so there aren't the huge numbers. 

On CS7 there are loads of segments, and some have about a thousand entries.  I don't expect ever to feature near the top of any of those.  It's not an issue.  If I were more competitive, I could see how it might wind you up that you need to go faster, cut the corner, crash the lights and all that nonsense.

All this explains why I've seen cyclists pottering along, then sprinting with eyeballs bulging, before reverting to a slow pootle.  I guess that they are targetting a particular segment.
Getting there...

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2012, 02:04:38 pm »
Strava makes no allowance for time of day so you can sneak out at 3am if you want to make faster times. One of the segments I'm ranked highly for is a piece of shared use path along the river. I've got a good position not because I  was in any hurry but because I  rode it in the dead of night when it was free of all other traffic.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 22 October, 2012, 04:04:26 pm »
It's quite funny to see the mega speeds that are reported on Strava now compared with a couple of years ago.  My old commuting route follows the same road as a 10 mile time trial so I've dropped from 1st to 3rd to 29th in the ratings :)  Before I was winning because I was the only one putting data into it

similar thing with ridewithgps.com; i've used to log some of my rides as i like their interface. they started doing strava-style ranking recently and i'm surprised i'm near or at the top in quite a few segments. with those times on strava i'd be way down the list now

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2015, 10:16:25 pm »
In a spirit of supporting Our Man, I made the mistake of commenting on Strava. Ever since then I have had an endless stream of emails telling me when someone else has commented.

I can't find out how to turn these off. Anyone know?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2015, 10:36:32 pm »
Notifications are in your profile or setting or something. I turned them all off. I'm a recent member to follow Steve. As I don't upload anything the comparison column is fairly predictable.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2015, 10:45:16 pm »
Thanks. Just found them. The stream of unsolicited emails seems to have stopped.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #13 on: 28 March, 2015, 11:04:20 pm »

I'm currently 2nd on the segment outside my door.  However, that piece of road is being used as the finish for the Tour de Yorkshire in May.  Do you fancy starting a sweepstake on where I'll be after that?

« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2015, 08:52:48 am »
Some of my placings on the segments round here took a good bashing when the Commonwealth Games round race came past the end of my street last year. ::-)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2015, 09:10:48 am »
Likewise a lot of ours went when the Tour of Britain came round last year. Some of the times were pretty humbling.

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2015, 08:17:27 pm »
For those using Chrome, StravaPlus is quite a nice extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stravaplus/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en

It adds a few interesting features (e.g. you can find out your % ranking on particular segments, and get a map of KOMs/QOMs, if you care!).

Jakob

« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2015, 01:54:10 am »
I stopped using it as I was becoming a hazard to other road users, when I thought I had a chance for a PB.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2015, 03:20:31 am »
Likewise a lot of ours went when the Tour of Britain came round last year. Some of the times were pretty humbling.

The Women's Tour, being confined to East Angular, comprehensively took out most of the KoM/QoMs in our area, and thoroughly humiliated some of the more gobby club bigshots. Ho ho!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 06 May, 2015, 04:10:11 pm »
What's the deal with random strangers giving you kudos for inconsequential rides (seems to mostly happen to trips to the shops, evening pub rides with the local group, that sort of thing)?

AIUI, kudos is basically just a 'like' button, so doesn't really mean anything specific.

Is it just an occupational hazard of being female on the internet, or am I missing something subtle?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #20 on: 06 May, 2015, 04:15:14 pm »
What's the deal with random strangers giving you kudos for inconsequential rides (seems to mostly happen to trips to the shops, evening pub rides with the local group, that sort of thing)?

AIUI, kudos is basically just a 'like' button, so doesn't really mean anything specific.

Is it just an occupational hazard of being female on the internet, or am I missing something subtle?

I don't think it's even that - I used to get them too, and know a fair few who get the same. It's usually the same random strangers evey time. I reckon it's just desperation for as many Strava followers/kudoses as possible.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #21 on: 06 May, 2015, 04:21:33 pm »

I don't think it's even that - I used to get them too, and know a fair few who get the same. It's usually the same random strangers evey time. I reckon it's just desperation for as many Strava followers/kudoses as possible.
Me too. I have a few regular kudos spammers, always on the short hops- anything up to about fifteen miles, even a mile or so, no matter how slow. Centuries, OTOH, they ignore, only friends and the occasional random bloke give me kudos for those.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #22 on: 06 May, 2015, 04:27:36 pm »
If you are in any clubs on Strava, I think a lot of random kudos comes from that. It seems there's a few people who give kudos to just about anything posted in a particular club, even if its not really very impressive.

« Reply #23 on: 06 May, 2015, 04:28:40 pm »

Is it to do with your privacy settings?  I've got mine set to maximum, and I never get kudos from anyone other than my "friends" or "followers" as Strava likes to call them (which possibly makes me the leader of the worlds smallest cult.).  Can anyone see your rides if you have the privacy settings set up?

Me too. I have a few regular kudos spammers, always on the short hops- anything up to about fifteen miles, even a mile or so, no matter how slow. Centuries, OTOH, they ignore, only friends and the occasional random bloke give me kudos for those.

« Reply #24 on: 06 May, 2015, 07:56:51 pm »
I thought kudos from strangers was because I'm AWSUM.
Gutted.

;)

(I only post 'proper' rides of about 100k+,  don't follow or give kudos to anyone, so they're wasting their time waiting for reciprocal kudos-ing. )