Author Topic: Members' photos  (Read 501162 times)

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: Members' photos
« Reply #250 on: 18 August, 2008, 09:22:11 am »
You swapped bikes! Why?

And where's the aero lid?

« Reply #251 on: 18 August, 2008, 04:22:59 pm »
You swapped bikes! Why?

And where's the aero lid?

Same here: Why?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gonzo

« Reply #252 on: 18 August, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »
Because my support only turned up after 5 hours (road - TT bike) and my back was in agony for some reason (first time it ever happened; what a time eh?). The second change happened (about 10 hours in) because the bars were so low that it killed my neck.

Aero lid - I wasn't spending enough time on the drops to make it worthwhile. Additionally, the wind was strong enough that it wasn't safe when in the side.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #253 on: 19 August, 2008, 09:05:00 am »
Because my support only turned up after 5 hours (road - TT bike) and my back was in agony for some reason (first time it ever happened; what a time eh?). The second change happened (about 10 hours in) because the bars were so low that it killed my neck.

Aero lid - I wasn't spending enough time on the drops to make it worthwhile. Additionally, the wind was strong enough that it wasn't safe when in the side.

I see, so you started out on the road bike?

Interesting that you think wind would affect the lid the most. I would have thought your deep section wheels would make more of a difference?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #254 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:45:11 pm »
One taken of me one Saturday. Thanks Deano

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #255 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:21:18 pm »

I've never seen bar-end shifters mounted sideways like that before - do you find shifting more comfortable like that? Or is it just to get the cables into a more comfortable position under the tape?

« Reply #256 on: 19 August, 2008, 10:06:54 pm »

6 hours is a long time to spend in that position. I assume that you weren't riding as hard as you normaly would do in your usual distance events and paced yourself to at least some degree.
That position is good for shorter and higher intensity rides. But when you're not putting so much effort in and your stomach is a bit more relaxed and you perhaps aren't pulling on the handlebars so much, so riding in a different style, you'd be better off with a more upright position.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #257 on: 19 August, 2008, 10:52:51 pm »
Tiermat by Picasso
Getting there...

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #258 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:43:34 pm »
A photo taken entirely so my mother could disapprove of the beard.

« Reply #259 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:48:27 pm »

Beard?  What beard?  ;D ;)

Oh that..... ::-) :o ;D

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #260 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:56:26 pm »

Beard?  What beard?  ;D ;)

Oh that..... ::-) :o ;D

It doesn't take much facial hair for my mum to declare I should be having a shave...

« Reply #261 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:13:08 am »
I didn't shave for our entire week of vacation. I had almost as much beard as Anth by the time we got home.  :-\  :-[
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #262 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:25:23 pm »

At least one of us smiled properly  ::-)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #263 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:53:38 pm »
Is that Gen?

Elleigh

« Reply #264 on: 22 August, 2008, 01:01:25 pm »
Lovely  :D

Jacomus

« Reply #265 on: 22 August, 2008, 01:46:43 pm »
Is that Gen?

No, that is Emily - who is so unacceptable to my parents sensibilities that they refused to attend my graduation day, coming only to the ceremony.

This (below) is Gen, the other love of my life.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #266 on: 22 August, 2008, 01:48:39 pm »
That's a really nice photo, Jacomus (the one of you and Emily, that is, not the bike.)

:D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #267 on: 22 August, 2008, 01:55:26 pm »
Picture my sis took of me on Wednesday evening:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #268 on: 22 August, 2008, 01:57:08 pm »
Picture my sis took of me on Wednesday evening:

Probably a wash out pic but you look pale, you alright?

gonzo

« Reply #269 on: 22 August, 2008, 02:02:39 pm »
I see, so you started out on the road bike?

Interesting that you think wind would affect the lid the most. I would have thought your deep section wheels would make more of a difference?

a) Yup
b) I've added an extension onto the tail and when buses pass my head gets tilted due to the wind! In the crosswinds that day, it would have been lethal!

I've never seen bar-end shifters mounted sideways like that before - do you find shifting more comfortable like that? Or is it just to get the cables into a more comfortable position under the tape?

It's actually just because I got the bike with the ski-bends with the slight bend upwards. When I turned them around so they went inwards, the bar end shifters moved too. I don't find them any worse, so just stayed with them!

6 hours is a long time to spend in that position. I assume that you weren't riding as hard as you normaly would do in your usual distance events and paced yourself to at least some degree.
That position is good for shorter and higher intensity rides. But when you're not putting so much effort in and your stomach is a bit more relaxed and you perhaps aren't pulling on the handlebars so much, so riding in a different style, you'd be better off with a more upright position.

My normal distance events, ie. 10 miles. Yes; you're right. I did slow things down a touch! There was no time to change the set-up on that bike as I only knew that I'd have support the day before. Given more time, I would have set it up much better.

Really Ancien

« Reply #270 on: 22 August, 2008, 03:54:51 pm »
A shot of one of the Chateaux we were forced to pass on the rides at the Semaine Federale. Then there were the meals, the bars every 25 miles and the wine tasting. It's a tough life. A few others here.Flickr: damon.peacock's Photostream

Damon.

Jacomus

« Reply #271 on: 22 August, 2008, 04:25:11 pm »
Holy Moly!   :o

Lucky you!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #272 on: 22 August, 2008, 05:15:09 pm »
one from the lakes last week - the sun had just come out :D

(I was quite pleased with the 'using the saddle to hide the belly' pose)
You need a bigger saddle!!!   ;D ;) ::-)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #273 on: 22 August, 2008, 05:54:24 pm »
You need a bigger saddle!!!   ;D ;) ::-)
[/quote]

good point - be easier than dieting...

« Reply #274 on: 23 August, 2008, 10:51:25 pm »
My sons and I on holiday at Saumur a couple of days before the Semaine.