Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517702 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #200 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:58:04 pm »
No, G&T is Wednesday night rides.

Espresso Martinis for touring.

Bovril for the track.

It's all part of his new get fit for 2016 plan.  No beer you see.

Where does Jiber's favourite drink VLS (vodka,lime & soda) fit into this get fit plan?

« Reply #201 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:41:07 pm »
He's on a different regimen; VLS, parmos, curries and fried breakfasts.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #202 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:43:37 pm »
He's on a different regimen; VLS, parmos, curries and fried breakfasts.

Don't forget his new tipple - orange and malibu as debuted at The Compasses on Saturday night! Luckily his profile pic is Granville and not Del Boy othewise he would be on the Pina Colada's  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #203 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:16:27 am »
Well how excellent was that?  I've never seen Oaky so animated and enthused, not even about BEER!

A massive thank you to huggy - well done matey  :-* :thumbsup:  And if you ever want to follow in Dave Brailsford's footsteps and form your own track cycling team I'd recommend you sign up Doggers and Beer Fueled Commuter straightaway - both very impressive in my view.

When can we go again?

« Reply #204 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:43:51 am »
Well done Huggy, an excellent evening at the Velodrome.

I didn’t fall off :)

The Retiree

« Reply #205 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:36:47 am »
Well how excellent was that?  I've never seen Oaky so animated and enthused, not even about BEER!

A massive thank you to huggy - well done matey  :-* :thumbsup:  And if you ever want to follow in Dave Brailsford's footsteps and form your own track cycling team I'd recommend you sign up Doggers and Beer Fueled Commuter straightaway - both very impressive in my view.

When can we go again?

+ 1 super evening all round and massive thanks to Huggy for making it happen  :thumbsup:

« Reply #206 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:52:14 am »
In a fresh twist to Wednesday nights, the Essex peloton made their way to the Olympic Velodrome last night.

Although we were there with an official Witham Cycling party, the 28 strong group comprised a fair number of MEMWNS stalwarts.
Myself, Tomsk, Tippers, Huggy, Danbury Dogger, GavinSSN, the Hustler, DL, OD, Jiberjaber, Bobb, the BFC and Oaky all managed to make our way to the velodrome, which is surprisingly hard to locate for such a unique building  :facepalm:

When you arrive at any of the legacy facilities from 2012, you realise just how much money was spent and what incredible facilities they are.  This one seems well enough used but it really is huge so it feels very empty.  Another thing it has in common with other facilities is excellent coaches and unexpectedly decent kit.

Once we had all been kitted out with our track bikes, oohed and aahed about not having any brakes and moaned about Keo cleats, the coaches split us into two groups.  This proved to be an excellent move as both groups had 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off the track, meaning that we all had a full hour of riding and plenty of time for briefings, recovery and water in between. 

It was amazing to see how those of us who hadn't ridden the track before went from cycling round the blue flat section and looking nervously at the seemingly vertical banking to riding up and down the banking moving around in groups. 

Of course, the usual suspects proved to be quick on the track.  BFC and DL were their usually rapid selves but we also had some serious power being laid down by Tippers, JJ and OD.  Then there were the riders who seemed to be able to go fast by riding smoothly and quickly; Tomsk, Bobb, DD, the Hustler and GavinSSN being prime examples of the art.  The other noticeable thing was just how much difference having a wheel to follow made to the effort required. I seemed to be playing catch up to the fast guys a lot which became a bit self-fulfilling in the end as you lost energy being off the wheel which made it harder to get on the wheel.  Most of the sessions seemed to start with tight groups working together before the groups splintered as the quicker riders moved up a gear.  The 4 man pursuit exercise was a particular favourite in my group as it involved tempo riding followed by sprinting then more tempo riding and plenty of swooping in and out of groups.

The post-ride debriefing took place in the Cow in Westfield where we finally got our well-deserved Essex energy drinks.  London Gold was awarded the prestigious Quaffers Choice for the evening.

Hopefully we can find another slot, possibly even trying our hand at becoming accredited track riders.  We may also have recruited another couple of Wednesday night riders and Darth Oaky is hopeful that he can bring a few of our number over to the fixed side.

Thanks to Huggy for arranging everything.  He looked very official with his clipboard and was possibly slightly disappointed when the bureaucracy that he had been expecting at reception turned out to be a relaxed and friendly welcome  :thumbsup:  We will now permit Huggy to spend some time finalising his new 200 before pressing him into service again for another session.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #207 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:03:42 am »
I like your new sig line!  Very much in keeping with the post above  :thumbsup:

« Reply #208 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:16:05 am »
It was a title bestowed by Darth Oaky upthread.  I have to do something when you and Huggy are making such sterling efforts so I might as well ramble on about things on here.

« Reply #209 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:33:15 pm »
A whole hour of riding without a single pot hole!!!!!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #210 on: 14 January, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »
Arrow Men, what's your ETA in to York and plans for potential meeting up with us mere 'Trail' men? My team are keen to make their train arrangements so I'm trying to form our plan....
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #211 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:22:07 pm »
Arrow Men, what's your ETA in to York and plans for potential meeting up with us mere 'Trail' men? My team are keen to make their train arrangements so I'm trying to form our plan....

08:00 Saturday at the 'Punchbowl' [Wetherspoons] - provisional, but likely to be around that time. Trains from late morning/lunchtime. I have a team already lined up but if anyone else wants to start an Essex Team B...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #212 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:16:31 pm »
[@Easter Arrow] ... I have a team already lined up but if anyone else wants to start an Essex Team B...

Easter is early again isn't it, like 2013 when I did it, so errrr no thanks!  As I've said many times ... I have never been so cold.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #213 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:03:03 am »
It was indeed a most excellent evening and one that I will hope to repeat again when the next block of bookings are offered out by the VeloPark.  I think the Wednesday 8pm slot worked well, certainly for the size of group we took all getting there on time, weekend slots are also available so will also apply for those as options.
My very quick edit of mine & Oaky's videoing efforts is viewable here if you haven't already seen it via the Facebook post.

We don't have to limit ourselves to waiting for a club booking slot, we could co-ordinate individual or block bookings of individuals and visit any other time, certainly as for me at least the prospect of riding around the boards is is not so scary and intimidating. There was some discussion about doing some of the 4 stages of accreditation for which details are here, each stage passed allowing you to progress to the next stage.  If Oaky were to go through all 4 stages he may even be able to use his British Cycling racing licence there  :demon:
Stage 1 is pretty much a repeat of the club track taster session we did for which they used to sign off your stage 1 accreditation but are not allowed to now.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #214 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:30:08 am »

08:00 Saturday at the 'Punchbowl' [Wetherspoons] - provisional, but likely to be around that time. Trains from late morning/lunchtime. I have a team already lined up but if anyone else wants to start an Essex Team B...

That's a challenging timescale, I think we might be closer to the 11AM cut off on our last leg in from Selby (though still planning at the moment, but we have a mandatory 8 hour stop we have to take and the logistics of the hotel breakfast to navigate...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #215 on: 15 January, 2016, 11:53:29 am »
We'll be 4 pints and a breakfast in by then...at least you will get a nice welcome  ;D

« Reply #216 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:33:13 pm »
In the continuing absence of a MEMWNS technical thread  :P, Tippers how easy was it to replace the headset bearings on your Domane ?

I have just splurged on a new groupset for mine and feel I ought to do that as well.

The Retiree

« Reply #217 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »
I have just splurged on a new groupset for mine and feel I ought to do that as well.

11 spd Dura Ace??

« Reply #218 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:44:01 pm »
Yeah, because you'd obviously buy a groupset that's worth more than the frame.

11spd 105.  Then I will switch the old levers and brakes onto the Flyer with some new handlebars for it.

The Retiree

« Reply #219 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:49:07 pm »
Yeah, because you'd obviously buy a groupset that's worth more than the frame.

:facepalm: no sense of adventure...... You only need to look as far as OD for that with his latest deliveroo steed added to the stable

The Retiree

« Reply #220 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:26:39 pm »
I think I might have found your next bike OD..........  :thumbsup:

« Reply #221 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:53:10 pm »
Tomsk can give us a ruling on whether the sleeper will still get his brevet stamped.

The Retiree

« Reply #222 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:54:52 pm »
Tomsk can give us a ruling on whether the sleeper will still get his brevet stamped.

There might be room for you and Huggy to top and tail  ;)

« Reply #223 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:55:27 pm »
What makes you think Huggy tops and tails  ;D

The Retiree

« Reply #224 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »
What makes you think Huggy tops and tails  ;D

I'm sure you mentioned it to me after your bus shelter experiences......  :-X