Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2167297 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #11475 on: 23 October, 2016, 08:35:28 pm »
Another wing frame completed.

Fettling of M5 anticipated
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #11476 on: 24 October, 2016, 10:15:47 am »
I replaced the broken wire that connects the counter balance spring to the garage door. The door now sails up with barely any effort.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11477 on: 24 October, 2016, 07:41:26 pm »
a minor fettle installing some spacers/washers under the cable stops. next to order a right size cable guide that goes under the bb; the one i have ordered is more suited to steel and alloy frames and cannot "hug" a larger carbon bb shell.

ElyDave

« Reply #11478 on: 24 October, 2016, 10:43:29 pm »
I'll see if I have an unused soft-ish one.  I think I got one in one of the gear train boxes during the M-Racer build and threw it in a spares box.

If I have it, I'll bring it on Wednesday.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11479 on: 26 October, 2016, 09:29:09 pm »
The Karate Monkey with the seized BB is now working

I was adjusting the brakes on the Karate Monkey (steel, built to last frame with a hub gear) and the Genesis Datum (carbon fibre, superior parts) the weight on the road might not make much difference but lifting onto the work stand does!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11480 on: 27 October, 2016, 06:51:27 pm »
Cut the gel palm pads out of a worn out pair of Endura waterproof gloves. They were always in the wrong place for me, just concentrated pressure where it wasn't wanted. Unfortunately I've also cut the waterproof lining – which actually worked well, though water still soaked through the cuff after a while – but I'll see how it goes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11481 on: 27 October, 2016, 06:54:30 pm »
Changed the wheels on the Jimny to the winter ones (black steelies with Nokian WR D3 snow tyres).  That'll mean another warm winter, then.

Also fitted a socket in the cupboard under the stairs, for the Dustbuster.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11482 on: 27 October, 2016, 08:10:41 pm »
New tap internals in the bath taps. At least now the hot should stop locking up and needing dismantling every couple months. However the flow on max is still a bit crap. They were never great but I'm sure they weren't this bad when we moved in.

Sink taps have decent oomph so I don't think it's a tank/pressure problem. Ho hum.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11483 on: 28 October, 2016, 01:03:37 am »
Does turning the wheel back round to singlespeed from fixed and readjusting the sliding dropouts on my Trek count? If so, then that :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

« Reply #11484 on: 29 October, 2016, 10:02:46 am »
SOmehow, about 5 mins into yesterday's turbo session the cadence sensor's wire managed to wrap itself around the crank. Luckily the wire parted midway and I managed to resplice it by twisting the rlevant bits together.  For some reason though the HR was then picking up cadence x 2 and the beeping was driving me nuts  :demon:

Today, changing cranks, chain, cassette on the runaround, first time doing square taper cranks.  All in all very litel drama apart from stripping the first two threads on the LH crank as I'd not retracted the puller enough.  Manged to get it past the damaged threads at the second attempt.  Most difficult thing was getting the 20-year old locknut off the old cassette.  Looking at the freehub, that could do with replacing as well.

All done in about an hour, with the exception of putting the tools away. I was interrupted by shouting from the house, my daughter has managed to break or dislocate her little toe, so she's off to Addenbrookes with the wife while I look after the boy.  Unfortunately the minor injuries unit doesn't have x-ray at the weekend.

EDIT: looks like just a dislocation, it was back in place by the time the nurse saw her at Addenbrookes, so just strapped together, no significant swelling either.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11485 on: 29 October, 2016, 10:10:25 am »
Mucking about with the new front derailleur on the Surly - can't get it to mount up smoothly to the outer chainring without fouling the plastic trouserguard ring. Don't want to remove latter 'cos it leaves big shiny screw-holes and I want to sell the thing.  Need to take the cable out, move the FDR up a mm and start over. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11486 on: 29 October, 2016, 04:06:05 pm »
Finally got the BB changed on the commuter. How many ways do I fit thee? Let me count the ways.

First install, then notice the spacer washer is missing. Undo and fit drive side. Road test, nope, wrong, shouldn't be there. Undo, remove, refix. Leaving it out the non-drive side. Undo. Redo. And rest.  :facepalm:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11487 on: 29 October, 2016, 07:55:02 pm »
Fitted a dado rail.  Well, it's a chair rail really because the dining chairs were leaving a groove in the plaster.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

« Reply #11488 on: 29 October, 2016, 08:18:37 pm »
Fitted a dado rail.  Well, it's a chair rail really because the dining chairs were leaving a groove in the plaster.

my BIL always calls those dildo rails  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11489 on: 29 October, 2016, 09:07:10 pm »
Removed the "roo bar" front rack from the UTB. It's much lighter now and doesn't get tangled with bike racks.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11490 on: 30 October, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »
Pop-riveted my rear mudguard back onto the stay and fettled a couple of brackets to hang an extra fluoro lamp in the garage. Currently wired up with a plug but will tap into the existing lighting circuit next weekend. The lamp is in preparation for when I continue the 19 years and counting rebuild of the AH Sprite (which I managed to re-garage three weekends ago after about ten years on the drive under a cover).
Rust never sleeps

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11491 on: 30 October, 2016, 07:00:03 pm »
Cut some shapes for a student's science communication project. Decided to be a bit more adventurous and cut a 3mm ply box for them as well. tolerances were tight but it fits. It will fit better when she has peeled the protective plastic off all 108 pieces.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #11492 on: 30 October, 2016, 09:19:34 pm »
Washed my bike (that's twice in a year), and swapped the front and rear tyres over since the rear was looking a bit square.  And also it got spiked last week.
Milk please, no sugar.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11493 on: 30 October, 2016, 09:49:12 pm »

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #11494 on: 30 October, 2016, 09:59:30 pm »
On the move tweak of the rear mech using the inline adjuster on the downtube.   First adjustment since last cable change in 2013.   Shimano and Jagwire just works.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #11495 on: 31 October, 2016, 08:13:38 am »
Stacked this years log delivery on Saturday morning, then in the afternoon spent some time patching up the fireback with copious amounts of fire cement. It really will need replacing before next season (assuming it lasts this one ok!).

Sunday saw an unanticipated change from summer to winter wheels on the car as a result of force majeure. Still, looking at the forecast it was appropriate timing, looks like a week of frosts due.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11496 on: 31 October, 2016, 11:20:03 am »
Finally fitted ground anchors, chains and padlocks (all level 7) to my workshop for all the bikes. An ex police officer I spoke to recommended bolting the ground anchors to the wall as it makes it harder to grind off as it's behind the bikes. It also means the padlock is suspended by the chain making it harder to smash the padlock or chain with a sledgehammer.

As much as we hate the thieving baskets, they don't want to damage the bike they are nicking so that's what you should be aiming for.

I couldn't find ball bearings to glue into the masonry screws so I've rounded them off so you can't undo them.

I feel good about what I did.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11497 on: 31 October, 2016, 02:44:09 pm »
As much as we hate the thieving baskets, they don't want to damage the bike they are nicking so that's what you should be aiming for.

Though as Polar Bear will attest, they have no such qualms about damaging the bike that they're not nicking.

Logic would therefore suggest separate chains for your cheap mountain bike and your pride and joy, and that chaining multiple bikes together into an immobile mass is contraindicated.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11498 on: 31 October, 2016, 03:41:52 pm »
Shaped and installed a new bridge on my guitar to lower the action a mm on the 12th fret. First step of an ongoing process, it still needs to go a bit lower but I'll try this for a couple of days first. Haven't done the end to end taper yet, either.  Ticklish business: I buggered up the first blank, but I'd bought a couple in anticipation.  It could do with the nut lowering a thickish hair but that's a job for a pro.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #11499 on: 31 October, 2016, 05:46:57 pm »
Finally fitted ground anchors, chains and padlocks (all level 7) to my workshop for all the bikes. An ex police officer I spoke to recommended bolting the ground anchors to the wall as it makes it harder to grind off as it's behind the bikes. It also means the padlock is suspended by the chain making it harder to smash the padlock or chain with a sledgehammer.

I couldn't find ball bearings to glue into the masonry screws so I've rounded them off so you can't undo them.

I feel good about what I did.

some good tips there for when our current building work is finished and the gym/workshop is moved out to the lengthened garage