Author Topic: You can't adjust the height of the saddle  (Read 6597 times)

Speshact

• Charlie
You can't adjust the height of the saddle
« on: 27 April, 2009, 05:30:37 pm »
This morning, the Chief Cycling Instructor, backed up by the Road Safety Officer, of a London borough I work for clarified their position on cycle adjustment. Cycle Trainers can't adjust the bikes - not even the saddle height - but instead have to send a note home with the parents for them to see to it. 

Teaching in the afternoon, one of the bikes had: the rear brake not working at all; rear pads not-aligned; both front and rear cables in dreadful condition; saddle loose and wrong height; headset loose; tyres hardly inflated.

I told the child they would need to get the bike fixed before using it. But the lead instructor said the child could use it in the playground today.

I wonder if she'll be allowed to take it on the road tomorrow in an unimproved condition?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: You can't adjust the height of the saddle
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2009, 06:48:04 pm »
What ! How ! Why ! Where did they get that smart idea from ?

So they are happy to send a child out on a not road safe bike, even if it is in the playground, that is not going to happen on my watch.

I have taken a child of the course because they did not have a working front brake. And when they forgot their helmet when their consent form tells me that they have too.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2009, 01:00:16 pm »
Up here the company (which i must stress I have not yet had any paid work from) guidelines relating to adjustments is that if it takes a couple of seconds then do it, but for more lengthy adjustments don't, we're there to teach cycling on the road, not fix bikes, pump up tyres etc.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2009, 11:59:37 am »
So is it "losing time" they're worried about, or the possible legal responsibility if you alter something and then it fails in some way?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2009, 03:18:19 pm »
So the kid wasn't allowed to endanger him/her/it's self by not wearing a helmet, but it was allowed to endanger it's classmates by having no brakes??

Geez, remind me to tell my folks not to allow my Sister on any cycling courses!!