Author Topic: What bike for instructing?  (Read 7546 times)

gordon taylor

What bike for instructing?
« on: 25 June, 2009, 06:26:16 pm »
If all goes to plan, I'm taking the Bikeability Instructor course in the summer.

Is there an ideal bike for instructing... gears? singlespeed? drops? straight bars? clipless?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Re: What bike for instructing?
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2009, 06:37:15 pm »
If it was me I'd go for hub gears and brakes, easy maintenance. (Carrera Subway 8 springs to mind)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2009, 07:00:33 pm »
That's good news Gordy.  :thumbsup:

Do you mean a bike for you to use as an instructor?

I use my old steel Marin Bear Valley, which is fine. I think it's better not to have too "flash" a bike, which mine certainly isn't, just one that comfortable and reliable. The only adjustment I do is to lower my saddle a little, as you'll be doing a lot more stopping and starting than you'll be used to. I tried using mine with flat pedals but am much happier with SPDs, especially if you're doing "advanced manoeuvres". Definitely straight bars, and I'd say you should have gears if using gears is something you'll be teaching. Again, I'd say it should be derailleurs because that's what 99% of your learners will have  - unless they've got BMXs  ::-) ;) Oh, and not big knobbly tyres.

HTH Have fun!  :)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2009, 08:55:29 pm »
I generally use a Brompton, as it's convenient for using any mode of transport. Kids are usually fascinated by it, and it has both types of gears!

« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2009, 09:04:54 pm »
Brommie here too. ;)
The trainees are fascinated and its parking fold is just so convenient.
I've found it by far the best bike to use.

I use a standard road tourer (Roberts) for when I need to ride some distance to the training venue, but I always have to explain its not "pink", its cerise  ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2009, 09:40:52 pm »
Probably not a fashionista brakeless fixie with pink Velocity Deep Vs, sawn-off straight bars and spoke cards.  Fun though it would be.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:25:27 am »
I use all my bikes, but it depending on what I'm doing on the day. Dr. Bike (carrying spare parts), one to one, trainee needs a bike, leading a snake, not leading snake, Level 1, 2 or 3, hilly route, long day etc etc

But if you are only going to have one bike, go for a lighter one. Because you will get on and off many times and have to move the bike around stop, start, park, lift, show this bit and that bit for your trainee. But don't use your bling Sundays best bike because it will be used/loved a lot.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

gordon taylor

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2009, 05:58:09 am »
Is a kickstand useful on an instructor's bike?

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:44:17 am »
Could be, as you have to park the bike so frequently, but I don't use one - the Brommie semi-fold is enough. If I use my Moultons, I just park on the kerb or against a post or fence.

Having sufficient luggage capacity is an issue. As well as paperwork, vests, first aid kit, tools, often have to carry trainees' jackets and water bottles!

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #9 on: 02 July, 2009, 03:42:27 pm »
I use my everyday tourer - which has a kickstand that I find useful and, for my peace of mind, an O (or nurses) lock which I slide into place but don't fully lock when I'm teaching and the bike is in sight but not at the forefront of my mind. I figure this'll delay/stop any opportunistic thief when I'm teaching, without causing any delay when it's time to start again.

I have a velcro strap by my front brake lever that I can use to keep the brake on which is often useful when using a kickstand.

Zoidburg

« Reply #10 on: 02 July, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »
Keep it simple like Eck said.

Rigid MTB or hybrid with deraileur gears fitted with lights guards and a rack maybe. The bike is an instructional tool as well, most begginers are not going to grasp a brommie, fixie, or modern 10 speed road bike with drop levers.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2009, 05:34:44 pm »
If you don't mind a suggestion from a non-instructor......

I would have a more upright position than usual because I would be cycling a lot slower than usual, as well as looking round a lot.  The more slowly I ride, the more upright I need to be to be comfortable for more than a short while.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2009, 05:44:25 pm »
Rigid MTB, mudguards, rack, prop-stand and Schwalbe Marathons.