Author Topic: automatic wrist mounted flashing indicator  (Read 11233 times)

Speshact

• Charlie
automatic wrist mounted flashing indicator
« on: 07 August, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »

I just got this email - have to say that I can't see them catching on and I'm not about to promote them to kids (caveat: unless people here come up with a compelling reason and a good profit margin doesn't count!). 
Dear Bikeability Instructor,

We are the UK distributors for an exciting new cycle safety product which will significantly reduce the number of cycling accidents that occur on the roads each year.

Our wrist or glove mounted indicator automatically flashes brightly when the cyclist raises their arm to indicate a turn, ensuring that they are seen by other road users, especially motorists.

We have been receiving great feedback on the indicator and as a safety device that will really make a difference we believe that this product should be introduced to children as part of their initial cycle training on the roads, and since it is automatic, even the youngest children can use it!

As a Bikeability Instructor we believe you are ideally placed to introduce this product to your students and to encourage parents to purchase a set for their child or children. We can supply you with marketing material such as flyers to distribute to your students.

We really believe that this product will prevent accidents and ensure that more cyclists are able to enjoy a safe journey, if you'd like to see the indicator in action, you can take a look at our promotional video here: Cycle Logic | The Safe Turn Indicator

The Manufacturers RRP for this product is £15.99. However as an introductory offer we are currently selling the Indicators in the UK at only £12.99 per unit or a set of 2 for £21.99, and as we believe in the importance of introducing this product to children, we are willing to offer further discounted wholesale prices to Bikeability instructors, as shown below:

10 - 19 units £7.50 per unit.
20 - 49 units £7.00 per unit.
50 +             £6.50 per unit.

If you have a specific quantity in mind, we may be able to offer a further discount, please contact us for details.

Please visit our website at Cycle Logic | The Safe Turn Indicator for more information and to make any sample orders should you wish to do so. I look forward to hearing from you and answering any questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Farrell Sheridan
farrell@cycle-logic.co.uk
Cycle Logic | The Safe Turn Indicator

rae

Re: automatic wrist mounted flashing indicator
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2009, 08:51:24 pm »
Looks like a gimmick - their use of stats on the front page is very dubious.  How many of the claimed accidents are actually due to a car hitting from behind because they didn't see the cyclist putting an arm out?  It's yet another daft gadget that will get lost/broken/go flat. 

After many years of cycling in London, I find the whole arm thing overrated.   You look over your shoulder to see if there is a gap and get in it.   You might stick an arm out on some occasions, but not all.   There are loads of cyclists who think sticking an arm out gives them right of way - I've collected a fair number in Regent's park.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2009, 09:16:15 pm »
It's too dim to be of any use in town - it's not nearly as bright as the subject's rear light.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2009, 09:28:47 pm »
If it lights up when vertical, as the video suggests, it will not be suitable for cyclists with drop bars.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2009, 10:27:15 pm »
Crikey - it's been invented again! :o

That's about five times I've seen this idea rise & fail.  And how does this one work if you ride drops?

Never mind - someone who never cycles will always think of improvements for our sport/pastime/hobby/fun...
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:41:14 pm »
It'll be brake lights again in a few months...

What this does market to are two groups:  Fearful right-turners, who can be made non-fearful by being taught good roadcraft (that's you, Bikeability Dude!); and fretful parents, who will buy any old crap just to be "on the safe side" (of opprobium and FUD).
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:53:28 pm »
It'll be brake lights again in a few months...

Not at the rate I'm failing to get round to completing projects ;)

(Have a working battery powered significant-rate-of-deceleration light on one bike, but keep failing to molish a sensible version that makes use of a dynamo for both power and speed measurement.)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:40:22 am »
After many years of cycling in London, I find the whole arm thing overrated.   You look over your shoulder to see if there is a gap and get in it.   You might stick an arm out on some occasions, but not all.   There are loads of cyclists who think sticking an arm out gives them right of way - I've collected a fair number in Regent's park.
My bold. Not sure I get this.  The point of indicating is so that other traffic can anticipate what you are about to do and therefore not eg overtake if you are signalling right (like lane changing on a motorway if you are driving a car).
It's a PITA when people don't signal at roundabouts, for instance, as it's harder to identify a good time to enter the roundabout if you don't know where vehicles will leave the roundabout.  So you wait, when you needn't, etc.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Si_Co

« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:44:03 am »
It's a PITA when people don't signal at roundabouts, for instance, as it's harder to identify a good time to enter the roundabout if you don't know where vehicles will leave the roundabout.  So you wait, when you needn't, etc.

It's even more of a pain when people signal to exit the roundabout and then carry on round because they've changed their mind.  I nearly got wiped out like this a couple of weeks ago

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:50:22 am »

It's even more of a pain when people signal to exit the roundabout and then carry on round because they've changed their mind.  I nearly got wiped out like this a couple of weeks ago
A car signalling means one thing - that the indicators work.
I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist who has forgotten that he's left his arm out.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2011, 07:25:04 pm »
I remembered to put my left arm out when turning the other day................the trouble was I'd also put the indicator on, as I was in the car.   :-[
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2015, 11:09:44 am »
In London sticking your arms out is a brucie bonus to be honest. There so many of us and we're often in a train and when someone wants to veer off, it incredibly useful to know so i can move out a bit to go round. I don't mean the poncy arm straight for 30 seconds maneuver  but enough notice to be useful for the cyclists behind you.

« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2015, 03:59:59 pm »
I find indicating clearly and assertively is incredibly useful when cycling in London, especially if there's closely-passing traffic - it creates a two foot space that I can move into.

(I don't need six-year-old flashers flashing lights to do it for me though.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2015, 04:24:53 pm »
I find indicating clearly and assertively is incredibly useful when cycling in London, especially if there's closely-passing traffic - it creates a two foot space that I some idiot on a bike from behind can move into.

FTFY