Author Topic: first bike for a 3 year old  (Read 7595 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
first bike for a 3 year old
« on: 26 November, 2009, 01:17:32 pm »
This is a lovely dilemma to have.  Little M will be three next year so it's about time he graduated from the tricycle to a two-wheeler.  Option 1 is getting him a "hobby horse" for now so he can get used to the motion and, eventually, taking his feet off the ground and balancing for a bit, and then getting him a bike with pedals once he has exhausted that bit of fun.  Option 2 is to get a (decent) beginner's bike a whip off the pedals and stabilisers, so that he can learn to balance in the same way but won't need to change steed just as he's getting used it.

The apparent benefit of the hobby horse is that it is lighter and so will be easier for him to manage at first.

Would welcome any views from other forumites' experiences.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Re: first bike for a 3 year old
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2009, 02:22:19 pm »
I bought a cheapy gas pipe job for mini-hatler and stripped off the pedals, crank and chain. This did the job.

For little miss hatler we bought a Lidl £9.99 wooden balance bike. Much lighter, made for the job. This was much more successful, and despite the fact that they are now 8 and 6, the wooden bike is still used for the straightforward fun of rolling down a grassy slope.

The regular bike with the bits put back on was never as popular.

If the aim is to get them balancing, then a purpose built bike is without doubt best, but bear in mind that if it serves its purpose well it won't be used for very long. So don't get precious about it and don't spend oodles, so look for a deal on eBay.

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2009, 03:24:12 pm »
Grandma spent too much money on a Likeabike Jumper for mini-mekon1's 2nd birthday. He had a blast on it. Was it 2.5 time better than a Puky or 15 times better than a lidl bike? Not a chance. However, we got a year and a half out of it, and it's as new. In contrast, I've seen some wooden balance bikes looking very grim, with delaminating wooden frames. Ours will be passed on to mini-mekon2, then sold. I suspect it will still look as new.

He's been riding a Islabike Cnoc 16 since he was 3 1/2. It's a well thought out bike, but it's much heavier than a Jumper. I'd definitely recommend getting a balance bike rather than stripping the pedals for that reason alone.

If I had to buy again, I think the Islabike Rothan is wonderful, and it's 2/3rds the price of a Jumper. The rear suspension on the Jumper is nice, but isn't worth the extra.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2009, 06:11:47 pm »
And don't forget that if you get an ebay'd rothan for £50, in a couple of years time you'll be able to flog it again for (most probably) £30 or more anyway.  Total cost of ownership is pretty decent, I reckon.

« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2009, 08:11:21 am »
This just posted in Kidsstuff.

Balance bike
Rust never sleeps

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:18:50 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered a Firstbike (no pedals or stabilisers) from the CTC shop.  Hangovers and weather permitting I will report on its first excursion on Boxing Day  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2009, 11:20:38 pm »
A bit late but G, 3, rides a Puky balance bike bought two months before she turned 3 and loves it to bits. She's fast on it too. Give your child a few rides on it, and you'll need to start to walk briskly!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2009, 08:33:58 am »
This is the likeabike jumper in action, but it's not my son.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-1O80xTs0Jg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-1O80xTs0Jg&rel=1</a>

I feel like a failure as a dad.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2009, 08:55:39 am »
Lordy.  That was Weeman from Jackass, surely?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk