Author Topic: I wanted to be a cycle trainer, but...  (Read 6377 times)

I wanted to be a cycle trainer, but...
« on: 03 June, 2008, 10:12:29 pm »
I work for the local council, upstairs from the Cycling Officer.

We have a very low proportion of cyclists around here.  He advertised internally for volunteer assistant cycle instructors to aid in the training of primary school children.

I volunteered.  I'd love to help people to love cycling as much as I do.  At first, the cycle officer seemed very keen to have me.  I would have started at the beginning of April.  But, they've appointed some old guys (retired?) on Halfords BSOs who don't look like they haven't cycled the length of themselves since 1947.

Looks like they don't want me.  :'(   I think that I've marked myself down as some sort of pro-cycling militant.

I'd still like to "put something back in to cycling"TM  Surely somebody wants me?

RJMcB

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: I wanted to be a cycle trainer, but...
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:36:51 pm »
Your "Cycling Officer" sounds a bit of a git.  >:(

Have you asked him why, having asked for volunteers, he doesn't want you? The only reason I can think (and it doesn't excuse the rude lack of feedback) is that they need trainers during the school day.  ???

FWIW I think you'd be "dead good".

I've come across the problem of "non cyclists" training kids in how to cycle. Not good.
Is there some irony intended, btw, in your choice of 1947 as an indicator of olden tymes? The year I was born, matey.  :P

YwillHPM soon.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2008, 11:00:48 pm »
Is there some irony intended, btw, in your choice of 1947 as an indicator of olden tymes? The year I was born, matey.  :P

YwillHPM soon.

Better watch out RJMcB, sounds like Eck is out to get you :o. The worrying thing is... he knows where you live.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2008, 07:46:19 am »
... he'll be wearing his "Assistant Cycle Instructor" HiVis Tabard when he posts the green ink PM!
It is simpler than it looks.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2008, 05:44:33 pm »
... he'll be wearing his "Assistant Cycle Instructor" HiVis Tabard when he posts the green ink PM!

... IN CAPITALS TOO  :P
 ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2008, 02:32:16 pm »
I've toyed with the idea of becoming an instructor. I've just looked at Cycle Training East, which is the closest place for me to train.

On a first reading I'm put off by three things.

1. The trainers seem to earn about half what I charge for teaching chess.

2. They expect you to teach and ride in a helmet.

3. I've had a gutfull of CRB checks.
The loss of humanity I could live with.