Author Topic: instructoring the more mature  (Read 6973 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
instructoring the more mature
« on: 14 October, 2010, 11:34:28 am »
i've taught all ages, or so I thought. But i'm down for a session with a 70 year old, or thereabouts, nothing on the medical form to worry about and it's part of a scheme to get the age group out and about. 
but i'm getting nervous for some reason, so any thoughts from the panel?
A shitter and a giggler.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: instructoring the more mature
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2010, 11:43:34 am »
Good Luck!
'You can't teach an old dog new tricks'.

NOT TRUE! I TAUGHT MY MUM TO TXT!

Seriously, this age group has rather thin skin on their shins so try to guard against injury here. Consider long thick socks and a pedal-free session.

« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2010, 08:14:53 pm »
My oldest to date was 76,  started off pedel less scooting,  but within the hour ish  she was pedelling round the car park with tears streaming down her face,  not from injuries either.   ;D

Good luck

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »
i've taught all ages, or so I thought. But i'm down for a session with a 70 year old...
but i'm getting nervous for some reason, so any thoughts from the panel?

A few months back I taught three 60+ year old ladies to ride from scratch all within the same month. Just like with youngsters it is important to be relaxed, friendly and informal - and keep it all fun!
Your trainee is probably a lot more nervous than you are!

Remember too that everyone is a kid at heart  ;)

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2010, 12:53:22 pm »
You may have to shout a bit more than you otherwise would but shout in a friendly manner.

The ears won't be what they used to be so get used to instructing in the manner of a stage luvvie doing Shakespear in an outdoor venue.