Author Topic: Moffat Toffee 200k/Spring Ride of the Valkyries 100k Sat 30th March  (Read 1943 times)

megajoulesexpenditure

Last call for the final few cards left for both of the above events. Looks like being a very busy day :thumbsup:

I will be sending out all details etc to entrants later today so would appreciate any final entries coming in soonest.

Anyone already entered who doesn't receive their email today please let me know.

Thanks and see you on 30th. :thumbsup: 8)

Re: Moffat Toffee 200k/Spring Ride of the Valkyries 100k Sat 30th March
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2019, 06:54:11 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Done! Thanks for the reminder

megajoulesexpenditure

« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2019, 08:00:24 am »
 :thumbsup: 8)

megajoulesexpenditure

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2019, 10:51:48 am »
Only 7 sleeps to go and...……….. https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/td1 😊🙃🚴‍♂️👍

Looks like being a very busy day with record numbers. There are 5 cards left if anyone would like a day out in fantastic scenery in the sunshine :thumbsup:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2019, 04:31:21 pm »
Long Range forecast saying it might be time to switch to spring gear, even for up on the roof extension the following day   :D
Wind's still looking a bit annoying :-(

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2019, 07:22:41 am »
Would love to do the Spring Ride of the Valkyries, but I'd need a letter from the organisers to excuse me from work..  ::-) ;D

A shame, as it is a good route.

megajoulesexpenditure

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2019, 06:19:14 pm »
That could be arranged Brian 8) 8)

Would love to do the Spring Ride of the Valkyries, but I'd need a letter from the organisers to excuse me from work..  ::-) ;D

A shame, as it is a good route.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2019, 08:22:52 pm »
Thanks to Lucy and helpers for making this event possible.

It's a lovely route, even though I was a bit under the weather yesterday to really appreciate it.
It was nice to meet up with folks I see only occasionally.

Thanks Again,
R.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2019, 10:07:51 pm »
Good to see you at the start, Feanor.

As for the ride, we made a right meal of it. Puncture (thanks to the potholes on the run in to Eskdalemuir) , injested rear-mech near Boreland, and rear disk brake issues at Langholm all contributed to the PITA factor. Mostly, it was about our lack of on-road hilly miles on the tandem.

Although the climbs were never that tough singularly, with the exception of the last run in to Selkirk, the descents weren't so tandem-friendly, being of the itty bitty gritty variety, so it seemed I was always on the brakes.

We got back in time, but the desire to DNF was quite high at times. This was entirely our issue - the route is fantastic, the views breathtaking, and the organisation excellent.  :thumbsup:

ETA: I guess this is everything an early-season ride is about; ironing out the bugs in the hardware, and the wetware.

« Reply #9 on: 01 April, 2019, 08:09:10 pm »
I finished but over time by about 15 mins, I swear there's some extra hills appeared from somewhere. No reason other than my lack of fitness (18kmh average compared to 22kmh the last time I did this). Although my front light packed in so maybe my headtorch added a lot of drag...

I don't know if Glen frequents these forums but he had the misfortune of riding with me from Roberton to the finish, thanks for the company, and apologies for being such a poor example of audax riding. Thanks to Lucy for the ever excellent organisation.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 01 April, 2019, 08:52:07 pm »
Good to see you at the start, Feanor.

As for the ride, we made a right meal of it. Puncture (thanks to the potholes on the run in to Eskdalemuir) , injested rear-mech near Boreland, and rear disk brake issues at Langholm all contributed to the PITA factor. Mostly, it was about our lack of on-road hilly miles on the tandem.

Although the climbs were never that tough singularly, with the exception of the last run in to Selkirk, the descents weren't so tandem-friendly, being of the itty bitty gritty variety, so it seemed I was always on the brakes.

We got back in time, but the desire to DNF was quite high at times. This was entirely our issue - the route is fantastic, the views breathtaking, and the organisation excellent.  :thumbsup:

ETA: I guess this is everything an early-season ride is about; ironing out the bugs in the hardware, and the wetware.

Ah so that's why on the run into Eskdalemuir I heard you catching up with me and then fail to pass, never saw you again after that  :(