Author Topic: Good rides near Cheddar  (Read 1524 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Good rides near Cheddar
« on: 14 May, 2019, 04:31:47 pm »
I'm spending some of the forthcoming half term holiday very near to Cheddar and will have a (road) bike with me. I'd be interested in any recommendations of good places to ride in that area. Obviously the Gorge itself and some of the lanes in the Mendips are already on my list but any other suggestions would be welcomed.  Most days I'll probably have time for only 25-30 miles but I can probably wangle one day for a longer (60-70 mile) ride.

TIA.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

essexian

Re: Good rides near Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2019, 04:46:56 pm »
My only experience in riding in the area is via two charity rides. You may wish to look at the routes to see if they suit or if you use them to tailor a ride which might suit.

https://www.mapmyride.com/gb/glastonbury-eng/somerset-levels-bhf-ride-50-miles-route-18078614 

And

https://www.greatwestonride.com/route-details

The Great Weston ride is hiller but both were nice rides on mostly quiet roads.

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:10:44 pm »
I'm spending some of the forthcoming half term holiday very near to Cheddar and will have a (road) bike with me. I'd be interested in any recommendations of good places to ride in that area. Obviously the Gorge itself and some of the lanes in the Mendips are already on my list but any other suggestions would be welcomed.  Most days I'll probably have time for only 25-30 miles but I can probably wangle one day for a longer (60-70 mile) ride.

TIA.

There's lots of flat stuff if you want a different option, around the Levels and down towards Glastonbury with mainly quiet routes. You can climb up to the Mendips from Wookey Hole if you want something more challenging.

Another option is to head over the top of the Mendips to Chew Valley Lake, there's a cafe there. Note that most of the climbs on the North side are steeper than on the south.

I have a bunch of routes in RWGPS, I can PM you some more detail (they're generally not public due to starting from the front door).

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:13:49 pm »
The first one goes past Sweets tea room, which is a good sign.
(It's better than it appears from outward appearance!)

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:20:04 pm »
Sweets is good.  :thumbsup:

Also the Mocha Berry in Glastonbury.

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2019, 06:04:21 pm »
The first one goes past Sweets tea room, which is a good sign.
(It's better than it appears from outward appearance!)

Fork out the £2.50 to peer into the museum.  It's another world.

Redlight

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2019, 03:35:27 pm »

I have a bunch of routes in RWGPS, I can PM you some more detail (they're generally not public due to starting from the front door).

That would be very much appreciated, Simon. You'll just have to get used to me appearing outside your front door first thing each morning!

Redlight

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2019, 03:38:00 pm »
My only experience in riding in the area is via two charity rides. You may wish to look at the routes to see if they suit or if you use them to tailor a ride which might suit.
https://www.mapmyride.com/gb/glastonbury-eng/somerset-levels-bhf-ride-50-miles-route-18078614
https://www.greatwestonride.com/route-details

Mm - they look good. I could easily cut across to pick up the latter part of the Glastonbury one. 
Thank you.

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2019, 03:47:07 pm »

That would be very much appreciated, Simon. You'll just have to get used to me appearing outside your front door first thing each morning!

You'd be welcome to pop in for a coffee (or tea).  :thumbsup:

(We're about a two km ride from the bottom of the gorge).

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:46:08 pm »
The Strawberry Line out towards Yatton is very pleasant.
216km from Marsh Gibbon